• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well there are small watchmakers like Dirk Dornblueth that are not more expensive than the big watch maisons, but offer a more personal experience, customization of the watch, special engraving, direct communication with the guys who make your watch, etc... So that's one thing to also look into. I love my Dornblueth. Some of the simpler, steel AHCI watches are also within the same price range, particularly in the secondary market, e.g. a Speake-Marin Piccadilly

This is very true, you can get a really nice watch from an independent from around 10k$ if not less.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Something tells me these guys are a little out of my league. Some amazing watches though.

:nodding:

:(

for the most part anyway. as mentioned, there are some models that are not crazy espensive.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow! After seeing all these fancy watches, I want to take a hammer and smash my watch and get one of them IWCs. I think I probably own the cheapest watch in this forum. Sorry...it's just a tag
musicboohoo[1].gif

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Dino944 and thanks a lot for your answer.
I am a student, so by no means am I able to afford a Patek.
That watch is just the closest that I have seen to what an ideal simplistic watch should look to myself, so I thought I'd ask some guys who are way more into watches than what I am.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Nomos is slimmer, with an inhouse movement, and is close to that Patek size (35-36mm?). I think almost 2k for a new one.

The Stowa have a Unitas movement (reliable and cheap/easy to service down the road). It is 41mm in diameter and 12mm thick. Close to 1k new.

Last edited:

float

Reaction score
Where's the links to the real cool straps that are made in 16mm for my baby omega and vintage military timex??? I'm talking beautiful...something like hodinkee but they haven't gotten back to me on whether or not they can produce 16mm. No NATO....bonus ++++ on suede

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Nomos is slimmer, with an inhouse movement, and is close to that Patek size (35-36mm?). I think almost 2k for a new one.
The Stowa have a Unitas movement (reliable and cheap/easy to service down the road). It is 41mm in diameter and 12mm thick. Close to 1k new.

I meant to ask what is Louis price range.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm German, so I know both the Nomos and the Stowa, but to be honest, whilst they are good looking watches, they are not my cup of tea.

The face of both is nothing near as clean as the one of the Patek, I don't like the handles of the Nomos, their housing isn't gold, also, as Waren already noticed, the Stowa is just too big, I am after a watch of very small diameter if you compare to what kind of watches are offered today, a maximum of 38mm.

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
How about a vintage piece? You may be able to find a nice Swiss time only watch in your price range. Most vintage watches would be under 38mm depending on maker. If you want new, there are many to choose from as well. Let us know your price range and you will have many suggestions.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, vintages are a great opportunity, only I have no idea about watches aside from the aesthetics and thus am afraid to buy something which isn't worth the money that is asked for.
At this moment I'll set my limit to $1000 and am curious if there are indeed watches that will catch my eye for that price.

Knisse

Reaction score

I agree, vintages are a great opportunity, only I have no idea about watches aside from the aesthetics and thus am afraid to buy something which isn't worth the money that is asked for.
At this moment I'll set my limit to $1000 and am curious if there are indeed watches that will catch my eye for that price.

It does not have to be vintage, but look for used watches.... You will get soo much more value out of your money that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads