The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

um, no. the diamond grading system is fairly universal. tiffany diamonds do no have a better grading system. as a matter of fact, some would argue that they are more lax with their grading than GIA is. but lest assume for a minute they keep the same standars. if you go to the tiffany site and build an engagement ring, a 2.0 carat round stone will cost you $36,700. they do not disclose the color or clarity on the site except to say that the color of the stone is not worse than an "I" color and that it has good clarity. you can take the average and get the same stone from bluenile for $24,124. and finding a local jeweler that is cheaper than blue nile is easy as pie. also, any decent jeweler will service your stone for life. i exaggerated at 1/3 of the cost, but the difference is in savings could be close to half. basically, dont think for an instant that tiffany gives you a better stone. you are paying for a blue box and a retail experience. there is nothing wrong with that, but know what you are buying. as to the watches, i guess we agree as to where MB lies, just have different feeling on what is important in a watch purchase. nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Comparing a 30k$ watch to a 5-10k$ watch, is like comparing a Zonda with a VW.

Would you buy an Omega?

3. atila

atila Senior member

As an independent jeweler, I support this post.

I understand the OP's point (but completely disagree with), but using Tiffany's + diamonds was a very very poor choice

in stitches post is pretty spot-on - Mont Blanc is not some crap watch that you are paying a huge premium just for its name, they make good watches so if you like it, you buy it and enjoy it. If you buy anything from Tiffany's, you are paying for their name - the quality of the majority of their stuff is mediocre, and the items that are quality, are outrageously priced.

When it comes to quality, Tiffany's is not looked at in a positive light.

4. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

[quote url="/t/36253/the-watch-p0rn-thread/12675#post_5598083"]
    Would you rather buy a Grand Seiko over a Rolex Milgauss? I know their movement embarrasses a Rolex movement (because it's Seiko and it's better), but I'd still choose the Rolex.
    [/quote] [quote url="/t/36253/the-watch-p0rn-thread/12660#post_5597985"]My point is... a name means a lot to me. [/quote] "Say it clear and loud: brandwhore and proud"

5. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Ikea, actually :slayer: I only splurge on horology.

6. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I will first say I am no watch expert but I am concerned that Patek Philippe, though I am sure a very fine watch maker, spends so much on marketing. They seem to be on the back cover of nearly every magazine in the house.

If I want to spend an equivalent amount of money on a watch which are the brands where the money goes on the manufacturing rather than the marketing?

8. in stitches

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You're asking which brands operate at lower margins? Probably the independent guys rather than the Richemont- or Swatch-owned maisons, Rolex or PP. Why it matters... I don't know. The marketing spend helps the watch owner in the sense that it supports second-hand demand for the watch and resale prices if you want/need to sell it at a later stage.

10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

It does matter to me as I like craftsmen and would rather buy a product made by one (or in this case a group of them probably) and pay for his hours rather than fill Conde Nast and News International's pockets. I take your point about resale value but this is not my intention.

11. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Are you serious about IKEA? It looks good

12. gdl203

But you pay these craftsmen either way. In one case, you also provide higher gross margin to the employer of these craftsmen so that they can fund marketing budgets, which in turn will lead them to sell more watches, therefore hiring more craftsmen to make more watches. In the other case, you're funding a smaller operation that operates at lower margins (usually because it has to, as it hasn't found adequate pricing power yet) and actually employ less craftsmen.

I guess I find the idea of dissociating luxury products from a big part of what makes them luxury products (i.e. the image they project) slightly odd. But if what you're looking for is "stealth luxury", then you should take a look at independent guys like Dufour, Smith, Ferrier, other AHCI watchmakers etc...

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

I think i'll buy that MontBlanc from him. Wear it a while and sell it later on.

14. gdl203

Do you even like it? I personally don't find that one attractive at all.

15. in stitches

you forgot this

:teach:

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.