1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Definitely; trying on a Reverso is mandatory. The fit of the case is a lot less forgiving than most watches, and the straps lay differently compared to conventional cases. Instead of the lugs curving toward the wrist, they're dead level and the lug holes are drilled high. But once you find which ones work for you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

[​IMG]
    mattbaily.ca

Here are the two Sun Moon models (GT and XGT cases) on a slim-to-average wrist, and the 976/Calendar case size is a few mm larger yet than the XGT:

[​IMG]
    credit to Bergmann from r-l-x.de

And here is the XGT case on my not-so-slim wrist (7 3/4"), which is as big as I'd go with a Reverso:

[​IMG]

I've tried the 976 and the Calendar models, but I didn't love the look of either, even with my wrist size and height. The size of the case detracts from the elegance of the concept. They just seemed slightly ... wank.

2. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah the Calendar is at the absolute max in regards to size for me (7 3/4 as well).

Quote: I agree with this.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Wow, that does indeed wear quite large. With my somewhat girly sub-7" wrists, the new models may very well be an issue. The XGT looks really nice on your wrist though. I am very curious to see which Reversos, if any, will work with my wrist. The Sun Moon models are delicious. And just to clarify, the Sun Moon has been discontinued, correct?

And wank certainly seems like an appropriate word. I am looking for something that is youthful as well as classic though, and the MUT Moon may better embody that aesthetic.

I am definitely going to need to try it on I see!

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I tried on a 50 Fathoms a few months ago just for the heck of it. Nicely made, but I have trouble getting excited about BPs. Its definitely a watch to buy, but only if you really love it or if you can find a deal on a used one. I think if you tire of it and want to sell or trade it you'll take a bath as they just don't seem to have a strong following. Years ago when one of my nearby ADs carried them they were always offering big discounts on them because they couldn't give them away. They did much better with IWC, Rolex, and Cartier.
    Thanks for the info. Its good to have an idea of where Mr. Randell's work begins.
    The original Sun Moon is a beauty. I came pretty close to buying one about 10 years ago, but went with a VC at the time. I still need to add a Reverso to my collection one of these days. But I might go with something that has a solid back and have it engraved.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

cool.

btw, no joke, if you are getting less than 35% off the michelle, contact me.

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Just wanted to follow-up this comment with a picture, even if it isnt mine. Anyone have thoughts on this JLC?

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

love that watch. always have.

8. in stitches

though this was neat so im sharing it.

a coin?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here you can see the faint lines of the push button...

[​IMG]

noap! a watch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Id be worried that id spend it on the vending machine eating twinkies.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Gorgeous watch, made by a great watch company.

However given the choice between this and a Patek,

I Personally would spend the extra to get the Patek.

11. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

That may be, but there's the insignificant detail that the "extra" to get any Patek perpetual calendar vs. that steel JLC is going to represent at least a 3X increase in price. Other than the trifling issue of cost, yes, the Patek is obviously the one to get. Well, that and the literal years it can take to have a complicated Patek Philippe serviced... :nest:

However, as long as we're working with unlimited funds and not considering service issues, given the choice between a Patek Philippe perpetual and a Philippe Dufour minute repeater with sonneries, I personally would spend the extra to get the Dufour. I'll take mine in platinum, please! :teach:

[​IMG]

:hide:

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I've bought several watches from Govberg in Philly - hard to beat their service (or discounts)

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Only thing I hate about this watch is the asymmetrical year function tucked away at the top there

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Are you thinking about new or used for that one? Its possible they made some improvements to its movement if you are considering a current model. My Dad considered one back in 2003/2004. However, our local AD hated that watch. The few that they sold always came back with problems. He said all the other JLCs they sold were reliable and trouble free, but the old Master Perpetual Calendar had issues. I don't know if they eventually made some changes that resolved problems with that watch.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Neat watch. I've seen them made by a few companies. Years ago Vacheron was making them. Not sure if they still do.

16. in stitches

:lol:

cool. remember who you dealt with?

thanks. not sure how it works. i am pretty sure its illegal, at least with US currency, to alter it like that.

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Good to know, thanks Dino. I was considering getting a used The current master calendar does not appeal to me. I find that a number of the master series updates are inferior to their earlier vintages.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No problem Axel. I'd hate to see one of our SF regulars stuck with an unreliable watch. As I had mentioned, my Father considered one years ago as they seemed like a bargain for a perpetual calendar. However, once we heard about their issues, and I did a bit of online research back then, he nixed that watch and chose a different model.

Good luck on the search for your next watch!

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not sure about the details, however Corum's coin watch is still on its website. Its a bit different in that unlike the one you guys have, or the VC version, Corum's coin watch does not open to reveal a watch. The coin is the watch case housing the movement, and the coin's surface is the dial of the watch. http://www.corum.ch/site/#/COLLECTION/WATCHCHAPTER/232

20. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the gray ruthenium colorway but afraid that it'll be less versatile over the long-term. Decisions decisions...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.