1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Not NCAA, but still arranged in divisions. There's been a lot of change since my days, of course.

Back to watches...has anybody ever had a negative experience (or even heard about one) with a Blancpain? The 50 Fathoms is high on my list, but I don't know anybody who's ever owned one.

2. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Quote: I tried both the MUT Moon and Grande Calendar (SS) on this weekend, along with a couple other reversos. I've been saving for the MUT Moon for a while, but the reverso is the only rectangular watch I've liked on my wrist and kind of screwed up my plans. I would have switched to the Reverso Calendar in a heart beat, but the display case back with the movement was not my favorite. The movement just doesn't fit the case and it bothered me; I think I'd prefer a solid case back. Just my 2 pennies.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That is definitely an issue that I noted as well. For some reason or another, the movement in the case really did not bother me too much. Perhaps because it is a rectangular movement? I am not entirely sure. That surely detracts from the watch though! It does have such a lovely face though... And the Reverso is a classic. A Reverso would be such a nice graduation watch to have, although the MUT Moon is definitely not a slouch either!

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Starts at $1000-$1500, sky is the limit. He declines requests for simpler designs.

5. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I think I loved the face so much that the back was a let down by comparison. I might end up going with it still, I still am ~6 months out from purchasing. The reversos in general have given me a lot to think about that I hadn't planned on as I had never put one on my wrist before; though the duo was just a touch to big for my taste.

6. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Thanks; that's good to know.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I was going to pull the trigger on the MUT Moon soon... but I am visiting Philly in March, and may just wait until my visit to make a decision...

8. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

That's a beaut! The shot on the left shows a ton of face depth and of course great clarity.

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I tried one on in October, and while it's commendably slim, I found its overall dimensions too large for what a Reverso should be — it's a bit much. Also, the size of the movement makes the watch's design fundamentally compromised. OK, the spacer is well-finished, but the 843 within is part of a movement series that was designed for a different case. The display back makes it all too obvious:

[​IMG]

There are many Reverso iterations I would choose ahead of it. Among moonphase versions, the looks of the day/night disc and power reserve indicator on the Sun Moon models absolutely slay the tiny windows of the complete (i.e. non-annual) calendar, which is quite frankly not that great of a complication anyway. The original 40-hour Sun Moon is the Reverso to have IMHO, and I plan on making it my next JLC:

[​IMG]

The dial of the 8-day-movement Sun Moon is gorgeous as well, but another thick XGT-cased model would be pointless for me. Nonetheless, this is what sapphire backs are for:

[​IMG]

If that's not watch p0rn, then I don't know what is!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice, very nice.

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

They certainly are nice (even the Calendar model), but I can't take credit for any of those photos.

Lovely Aquanaut!

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for sharing anyways, great looking watch.

Thank you.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yes, the Sun Moon is probably my favorite Reverso as well, and that movement is legitimately stunning. I have not seen the new Reverso Calendar in the flesh, so I really don't know how it would fit on my wrist. From the sounds of it though it seems mighty large! Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I would definitely not pick up a Reverso until I tried one on, but the idea of a Reverso is kind of exciting.

15. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Though I'm a fan of the face, I'd never seen the back. That is unfortunate.

+1!

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

awesome.

why wait?

i dont mind the too small movement so much in that watch, only because they did a nice job of building and finishing the spacer around it so it looks like a puzzle piece, i think its kind of neat.

and yeah, the movement on sun moon is :drool:

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I may wait just because I would not mind seeing a bunch of selections in the flesh before pulling the trigger. Govberg has the PML, Panoreserve, various Reversos, and other JLCs I am interested in--among others. New Orleans is like a black hole for a lot of watch brands, unfortunately. We will see if I can hold out, however!

And I kind of agree with you Stitchy. Normally mis-sized movements bother me, but I like how they remedied the issue. I would be a lot more bothered if the movement was circular rather than rectangular.

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Because he wants to go shopping with me of course!

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that is sensible. govberg has a few stores here, i know some good people that work there. good company in my experience. worth waiting if you dont have a dealer there that you think is as good or better.

lawlz

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+1

No JLC dealer, GO dealer, BP dealer... and the list goes on! The JLC FAD cuts a pretty good deal. $8,000 shipped overnight for a MUT Moon seems like a pretty darn good deal. Working on getting him to throw in a Michele watch for the lady friend as well.

Also, did anyone else see that SWATCH acquired Harry Winston?? Interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.