The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Not helping your case, my friend. Please, please, please do not buy a Submariner as a "first watch." Get something more niche, even an Explorer I or II would be a better choice.

2. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I have to agree. Not a fan of the Rolex, especially the two tone. I hope you enjoy it. If your mind is made up and you have to have it, look in the Timezone classified, do due dil. You may save some big $$$! I think I would get bored of the two tone fairly quickly, and if you purchase it well, not retail, you may be able to get out without too big a hit. Remember, a watch, like a car, with very few exceptions(rare Pateks, etc), drops 30-50% as soon as you hit the asphalt.

3. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

I really don't wanna give you advices how to spend money but I agree about Explorer I or II it would be nice choice for ya.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not if you've taken it out of the box and worn it

5. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Member

My son just graduated college and I would like to buy him a watch as a gift. The watch would be to wear to his job which is in accounting/finance in NYC. He wants a watch with a leather band. I want to spend about $1000 but am flexible - I would go up to about $1500. I plan to buy the watch at a discount at a store that was recommended to me so the retail price can be more than $1000 to $1500. I would appreciate any suggestions of watches as I have no clue what to buy. Thank you.

6. stafa

stafa Senior member

What do you guys think of the older Zenith Chronomasters?

[​IMG]

7. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Marshmallow, As you may be following the thread, there is some opposition to buying a Rolex for someone age 21. I would suggest browsing this thread as well as Timezone and the Purists to see what meets your criteria. I think an Omega would be nice, may have to look at a gently worn piece as it's a little higher than your range. There is a seller, ask one of the regulars on the Timezone Omega thread about them, who sells new Omegas at very attractive prices. He's on the east coast US, I'd give you his info, but I have no idea what I did with it. In fact, TKE, you should look at the same. An Omega is a very nice watch and some of the mechanical pieces are much less money and more understated than the Rolex. As I tried to say earlier, a watch is not an investment! You may even find something at, shudder, Costco. At the end of the day, get something that makes you smile.

8. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I have almost the same model. I still love the monochrome simplicity of it. When I bought it at the turn of the century it was the only 'calm' looking automatic in its price range, I could find.* It is relatively small compared to today's watches, this may or may not be important to you. And as gdl said the crown is a bit small and rather fiddly. The crown of 'your' model may even be a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

Another thing: The hands on my watch have oxydised somewhat and have thus lost some of their luster.

[​IMG]

I added an every man's homage to the first pic in this thread to make the watch more appealing to a certain poster.

[​IMG]

*I think I paid fl. 1075,- or about $ 600,-

Edit: The crown looks to be the same size when looking here: http://www.authenticwatches.com/longines-la-grande-classique-l48014782.html

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  9. theyare

theyare Senior member

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

If you can afford the wait..Stowa Marine is a nice choice.
    http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,133977970131350,en,1339779706-31365,marine,,,,.htm

Hamilton and Longines also fit that range.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Meh... like some Primeros but this is not one of them.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Nomos Glashutte?

13. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.