Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonklark

vonklark Senior member

Stitches my cousin has that JLC and it's his favorite watch, moron plays tennis with it aswell [​IMG]

For me I would go for this baby right here...

[​IMG]

2. academe

academe Senior member

It's not hugely expensive. I have the JLC price list for 2012, and you're looking at a minimum of >£120 for 2 letters, depending on the font. If you had enamelling or a bespoke design probably much more.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thats over 400 bucks. not cheap for me right now. also, it like to go all out with some kind of crest or something. not that my family has one lol.

4. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

The engraving is cool. I had one that required same. A little hard to sell, unless your initials are, say YSL!

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I would love to do that.. JLC has a crew (apparently) that can do almost anything on the case back. Not just engraving but miniature paintings and mosaics and all kinds of crazy shit. I posted some a while back.

6. academe

academe Senior member

Probably less that 400 bucks because £1 = USD$1.6...

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

well then :)

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I certainly hope so Cyclon. I am going to try to stay single long enough to buy some nice things before a wifey gets in the way :devil:. I think I am going to just start saving for a GO. As much as I want a Speedy, I don't think that I will stop thinking about the GO until I get one.

Also, congrats on the incoming little one. I have heard that it is quite the life changing experience.

Out of the Microbrands, Halios and Prometheus have always caught my eye (I am excluding brands like Nomos and Stowa from this equation). Microbrands offer a great value, as the manufacturers do not receive nearly as high of a return on each watch. I have yet to take the plunge with any, but the new Prometheus dress watch looks interesting, to say the least. Very minimalistic, Bauhaus design. It would be a nice "dress watch beater," as I have been looking for one of those. It would vie with the Tissot Visodate for this position.

Beautiful stitchy. Looks really nice on your wrist. Never really thought about the squadra, but that is quite a spectacular watch. I need to get myself to an AD some time soon.

Great stuff lately guys! I have gone incognito for the last few weeks, and have rarely had internet access, but have finally had a chance to catch up on the thread. From reading over this, it seems like it might be worthwhile to peruse the WAYWRN thread as well. Drama abound!

As for myself, wedding season has really taken over my life (before summer jobs do...).

Have had some good times (note, NOT my tux):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some rough mornings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank goodness I had the foresight to wear my AE's that evening, rather than my G&G's. Phew.

But I will try to ad some other pics when I get them. Why no watch related pics? Well, lets just say that I incurred a bachelor party related debt, was out of money, and made something of an exchange. Bye bye, beloved Mako. RIP.

[​IMG]

After a large amount of editing, finally got this post finished. I hope y'all enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

9. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

I've never posted the watch that I wear almost daily, so here it is: [​IMG]

Not a bigtimer watch, but I have another coming on Monday that I'm excited about. Pics to follow....

10. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Hodinkee had a pop-up of vintage watches at Taylor Stitch a few days ago. They had some beautiful vintage watches and their unique straps. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. But the good guys of Hodinkee, Blake and Ben sent me some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they'll be putting more up on their website in a few days.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Nice!

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Elegant simplicity... :nodding:

13. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Thanks guys! I like it too. Couldn't afford a Dufour Simplicity and was looking for a RG sub seconds. Found it at auction, drop shipped it to the spa in Geneve. Keeps perfect time. Vacheron does great work, their new pieces are really nice as well.

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Where at auction? Ebay?

Details of the geneve spa?

15. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Antiquorum auctions. The "spa" is VC's in house repair and restoration dept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.