1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As for the Portguese the time only is the only version that I really like. The 7 day is just not at all useful or attractive to me...but thats just my taste. You might love it and if you do you should get one and enjoy it.

I know about IWCs history and they make good quality watches. They are not the only company that has put pocket watch movements into wristwatch cases. In addition, several companies made oversized watches for WWII pilots. Over the years there have been exceptions to small sized watch from several companies, however the bulk of production, even of IWC's production was average to small sized watches. They even shrunk and revised the Ingenueir SL, one of their most iconic designs, down to about 34-35mms in the 80s just to fit in with slim and small watches. So while they are known for making large watches, particularly today, they are far from being above following the trends...even when it meant going smaller.

I have no axe to grind with IWC. As stated earlier, I used to really like their watches and wanted one. Now I struggle to find a model from them that I really want to buy, and overall when one starts to consider prices and where some of theirs have gone, I think JLC produces a higher quality watch for similar money. Just my 2 cents.

2. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

I agree on JLC. I just wanted to make the point that the Portuguese comes from a long line of large watches, was not designed to respond to the large watch trend, and is not inferior to similarly priced watches. Aesthetically, it might not be to the tastes of some, but others find it quite beautiful. More generally, I think we all agree that IWC is a very respected and respectable watch manufacture, so if something from the current line does appeal to someone, then they can rest assured that they are receiving a quality product.

And with that, I look forward to seeing everyone's latest acquisitions. :cheers:

3. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

Can anyone give me some information on this watch? (these are not actual pictures of the watch, but it is identical)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The watch has the the number 6162 on the back.

Thanks

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

My favourite Portuguese:

[​IMG]

Sadly not my pic

2 people like this.
  5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Word.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't know what you guys are talking about in regards to the direction of IWC's design department. What says heritage and restraint like this 46mm x 16mm bad boy:

[​IMG]

And some good discussions here lately, I have enjoyed reading them. I sense that I shall have some pr0n here fairly soon, depending on a few factors...

And just for fun, snapped these off recently. Pictures are not the best, but I do put out the effort (clicky for big pics):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

IWC- My favorite, classic line, and agree regarding the Portuguese sun dial size watches. Just wait, the 40mm + market is a fad that most certainly will and is, reverting back to classic sizes which were the desired sizes from beginning of watchmaking til 2000 when watches were discovered by the bling boys as an "accessory". 33-37MM .

[​IMG]

Pics are crap but include a 1946 B &M mechanical, 1974 Omega Speedmaster, and Breitling Crand premier limited. I have a few gold Omegas, white and rose, and Universal geneve from the 40's. All for sale if interested.

8. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Finally got my first Rolex in my collection. Time to save up for a IWC...
    Then i'll lay low for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

You will probably get faster and more accurate answers here: www.timezone.com

10. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Wow, that's a HUGE watch for your wrist, dude... [​IMG]

11. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Soviet watch day today, since the world did not end...

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

love
    --
    nice rollie, H.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You should post a larger photo so we can see some details on your watches. [​IMG]
    Congrats on adding a Rolex to your collection. Thought you already had one, but congrats anyway.

14. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

That's not the only thing, I'm afraid.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

16. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Thanks stitchy, got it for a pretty nice price I couldn't say no to. Might even sell it to make a profit.

But then again i'm thinking it's always nice to have a Rolex in the collection ''just to have it''

17. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Are you sure about that Sub-C? :eh:

18. academe

academe Senior member

On my wrist today:

AP RO Dualtime and nautically-inspired Kiel James Patrick wrist-raff.

[​IMG]

19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice, very nice.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  20. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

My old bvlgari maybe 4-5 years old. Still looks ok I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.