Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

you know the size off hand?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

47 mm case

3. in stitches

thats pretty large.

4. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Thanks will check that out when i'm home :)

5. gdl203

It's also platinum so heavy stuff

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I know this is probably a testy subject and this is the watch p0rn thread after all, but how do you guys feel about homages? Rolex really does nothing for me (at least in their modern lineup), but I have always loved the 5517 milsub. Obviously I can't afford it, and I think that even if I could afford it I wouldn't drop $100,000 on a watch I'd probably be too scared to wear. Steinhart makes a pretty cool homage to the milsub, with "aged" lume, domed sapphire, and a bigger case size. A really handsome looking watch overall. thoughts?

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I wouldn't be opposed to buying an homage. There is some discussion about this previously, might have been on the poor man's watch thread, but the consensus I got was that an homage is ok, better than buying a fake.

9. gdl203

In all honesty, if you lust after a 5517, I doubt that a cheap Steinhart replica will satisfy you. What is it about the 5517 that you like so much vs the rather easily found 5513? I assume it's the hands? If that's the case, I would find it much more interesting (and surely more satisfying) to embark in a mod project : find a 5513, with real history, natural tritium patina, and get the hands changed, ideally with original Rolex hands.

Last edited: May 21, 2012

10. Singular

Singular Senior member

That's a really good way to waste a good 5513 (and the five-figure dollars needed for the hands)...

There are no shortcuts or almosts. Every cent spent on something that you wish was something else is wasted. My advice? Buy a really nice 5513 and wear it for what it is - a beautiful, iconic Submariner.

11. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Everything has its place. Some may opt for gdl203 or Singular's advice, while others will grab the Steinhart. Whatever makes you happy.

FWIW, I am thinking of going the Steinhart route soon. For me, its more about saving money for something really unique (im thinking GO pano series here), rather than something with a bunch of copycats. The question is: will you be satisfied w just a Steinhart? I dunno if you can answer that in the abstract. Try it out. Otherwise unload it and go for the baller version. At least you will know its what you really want rather than a passing fad. Vintage rolex is really hot at the moment. I'm not sure if I want to wade in right now.

12. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Thing is, I really dislike the mercedes hands, so the 5513 is a no go. Plus, even if I did have a 5513, I would feel wrong modding it. The steinhart has the added bonus of having a nice maxi dial too. Whatever, I don't really need it right now (would much rather have a speedmaster or a sinn 356). Thanks guys.

13. gdl203

Sorry but that's just bullshit - also known as "your opinion". Swapping hands do not waste anything in a watch, especially if done by a decent watchmaker and if keeping the original hands if he wants/needs to swap them back later. It's fine to feel wrong about it, of course. But I've modded the hands of a watch before and was dramatically happier about the result than the original - never wanted to go back to the original. See post #2 of this thread

14. in stitches

i lust for a plat watch one day. i like how patek puts a little diamond between the bottom lugs on their plat cases. out of sight, but still cool imo.

15. in stitches

FTFY ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.