• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR-NYC

Reaction score

After saving for a long time, I finally got myself a real watch. I keep forgetting to take pics of it, but here is what I got:

Speedys get quite a bit of love on here, but I haven't seen this one posted yet....the new 9300
nice!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a shame; but generally there isn't. I guess because pocket watches have fallen out of fashion; there isn't as much of a demand even for high quality pieces.
It's a great looking piece though...you mention that you "found" it; does this mean a purchase?

I didn't but I'm thinking about it. Found it in an antique shop last weekend out roaming around. I have a few others I inherited from my grandfather and although I obviously don't wear them very often I just appreciate the history and craftsmanship. Wow that JLC is ridiculous Stitch! Thanks for posting that.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the watch and would pick it up for the right price.

I tried to scope around on eBay to see what it might be worth... some models were in the $200-ish range... the one I posted was over $2K. It wasn't quite as ornate but it was gold and embellished in a similar fashion and the face was very clean. And ya it was in working condition. He was only asking $165... probably get it for $150 cash seems cheap.

Cylon

Reaction score
How can people not "get" Panerai when they see hotness like this. Such a phenomenal piece of design

I am one of those people. 100% baffled.

it's ok though, I still love you guys.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's shocking man. As far as I'm concerned, the historic Panerai has its place in any Design Museum next to a Corbusier chaise longue and a Noguchi lamp. Case shape, dial, numerals, hands - it's pretty damn perfect. Now, I'm not saying it looks good on everyone (particularly the 47mm models) and I'm not saying all Panerai are great designs (80% of the line-up now is just stupid slightly complicated automatic watches that are farther from the original Panerai DNA than a cheap Canal St fake), and I'm certainly not saying that some of the hype and sometimes douchey clientele are not a turn-off (they are) - but these historic models are objectively beautiful.

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Panerai (240) and it's OK, nothing great.

Generally, Panerais are so big and so recognizable that I associate them label whoring. Maybe that's because they are the choice along with Hublots of the douchey label lovers I see all the time in upscale malls here in Delhi.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, Panerai 240 is not great

Also, you bring up the same points I did - which are unrelated to the design itself.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i want a panerai.

could probs snag one of these for under 3k. but i dont have teh moniez. :(

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite possible that I am not able to appreciate the design because I prefer very subtle things. I just cant get past the size. IMO, the only watch of that size should be activity specific instrument such as a diving computer or something. Proportionately it looks too big on most wrists.

dapperj

Reaction score
I was given this as a gift. Honestly, I have never liked it. I used to wear it to the gym but then I stopped wearing a watch to the gym. I use it when I go hiking and active traveling (e.g., climbing Kilimanjaro).

This is my formal watch:

And again... my newest addition. My new everyday watch. (previous everyday watch was given to my Nephew, but it was an older tag).

Wow I never realized it but I really need to get a watch with a lighter face for some variety...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i want a panerai.
could probs snag one of these for under 3k. but i dont have teh moniez. :(

But why would you? They're fugly dude

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
Quite possible that I am not able to appreciate the design because I prefer very subtle things. I just cant get past the size. IMO, the only watch of that size should be activity specific instrument such as a diving computer or something. Proportionately it looks too big on most wrists.

With gdl's caveats aside, i can agree the design IS iconic--the crown guard is certainly unique. However, I totally agree w aj_del re: subtlety and the wash out from douchery.

He may further agree with me that we have to worry about the slippery slope of douchery more than others. Don't wanna look like a Khaleeji/Persian/Indian greaser. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads