1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABALO

ABALO Senior member

And steel perhaps ?

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Of course there's always synthetic.
    [​IMG]

Great Blancpain.

Is that an OEM rubber strap?

I tried to find someone who could make a custom rubber strap (wanted one with curved ends that would work with a deployant clasp) and couldn't find anyone.

3. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Great Blancpain.

Is that an OEM rubber strap?

I tried to find someone who could make a custom rubber strap (wanted one with curved ends that would work with a deployant clasp) and couldn't find anyone.

It's actually a BP rubber coating over leather. I think it is superior to their rubber only. A great source for BP style straps is European Watch Co. in Boston. They have them made by Camille Fournet and sell them for about 50-55% of the OEM retail. Their website only shows Patek straps right now, but call them. The quality is excellent and they are almost indistinguishable from OEM.

4. drljva

drljva Senior member

It's actually a BP rubber coating over leather. I think it is superior to their rubber only. A great source for BP style straps is European Watch Co. in Boston. They have them made by Camille Fournet and sell them for about 50-55% of the OEM retail. Their website only shows Patek straps right now, but call them. The quality is excellent and they are almost indistinguishable from OEM.

Thurston, sounds like you've had some good experiences with European Watch Co. in Boston? I've always wondered about them... have you bought many watches from them in the past?

5. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Thurston, sounds like you've had some good experiences with European Watch Co. in Boston? I've always wondered about them... have you bought many watches from them in the past?

No watches - only accessories. They were courteous, shipped promptly and accepted a return with no problems. That's all I can tell you.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

vintage Omega Seamaster DeVille

[​IMG]

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Greg, I have the exact same watch.

8. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

I don't see them mentioned here often, but what is the opinon of Bell & Ross watches?

9. gdl203

I don't see them mentioned here often, but what is the opinon of Bell & Ross watches?

I liked the first series made by Sinn (I have one - the Space 1 chrono with Lemania movement). I find some of their current designs attractive but I intensely dislike their square instrument line (which seems to be quite successful actually - I was very surprised to see a picture of Norman Foster sporting one as I thought before that day that he had decent taste)

10. gdl203

Greg, I have the exact same watch.
    I commend you for your impeccable taste [​IMG]

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I commend you for your impeccable taste [​IMG]

Likewise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Another of my grail watches. Blancpain Flyback A Toute Vitesse LE #03/20.
    [​IMG]

That is very nice Thurston.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I was very surprised to see a picture of Norman Foster sporting one as I thought before that day that he had decent taste
    Over the years I've met with dozens of world class architects and with rare exception they've all exhibited some style quirk or another that was off putting.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Banks seem to have the odd habit of thinking any cash over $2000 is an huge amount.

Up here it's a royal pain to get cash over ~3k. For many banks you have to tell them a couple of days in advance that you'll require the money. They forcast their cash requirements these days so that they never have more cash in the vault than absolutely required.

15. gdl203

Over the years I've met with dozens of world class architects and with rare exception they've all exhibited some style quirk or another that was off putting.

This is just bad taste allover:
    [​IMG]

16. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

chessplayer's nice steel 60s era DeVille inspired me to post this. Been in our family new since 1966.

[​IMG]

Beautiful watch. Did I mention that I like Constellations from this era? I think I did. Anyone got a piepan dial?

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The problem is that I don't really care for anything else. Ostrich is okay, but tends to be in a very orangey shade. Lizard looks like it came from a kiosk at the mall. Pigskin and calf may be and look appropriate on vintage watches but anything modern seems out of place on them. Panerai are my lone exception. They definitely belong on calf. [​IMG] Of course there's always synthetic. [​IMG]
    I just got a nice Honey Ostrich skin strap for my 1949 18k YG Omega which also has a gold dial. I think it doesn't overwhelm the watch so much as say an alligator might. Ostrich straps aren't as "common" as alligator straps, I feel. Jaeger LeCoultre seems to like to pair ostrich skin with their Reversos a lot.

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

This is just bad taste allover:
    [​IMG]

The garish watch or the awning stripe shirt? [​IMG]

19. gdl203

The garish watch or the awning stripe shirt? [​IMG]

The whole thing, especially the watch. I remember when he used to wear architect-clichÃ[​IMG] black turtlenecks... good old times

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Saarinen was much better-dressed:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.