1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

Also, I prefer a vintage watch to have a strap that looks "right". All to often, I see a pic of a vintage watch with a brand new croc or leather band that looks so out of place, no patina.

The really vintage bands that I find are in awful shape, so new are my only recourse. Don't know about others.

2. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior Member

Streetwear and denim style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

OB - i love the PO with black bezel. It's an itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while. It's such a great looking dive watch and the new bracelet is really awesome [​IMG]

4. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I would dearly love a vintage watch like one of those but I know so little about watches I fear I would end up getting ripped off...also I am too poor.

Perhaps I will educate myself one of these days.

Do you guys buy your vintage watches online or at auctions or what?

5. TheHoff

TheHoff Distinguished Member

The really vintage bands that I find are in awful shape, so new are my only recourse. Don't know about others.
    Not a fan of what Squinky has on eBay as vintage NOS? He is a TZ seller as well... here is a 1950's lizard band I just got from him (haven't moisturized it yet or put it on): [​IMG]
    Do you guys buy your vintage watches online or at auctions or what?
    I've found a few sellers on Timezone that I follow and stick to what they offer. PM me if you want a link or a few suggestions.

6. gdl203

The pink gold is much warmer than in the photograph. Any suggestion for a new strap?

I am partial to brown straps with PG and RG cases. I would recommend a rich brown alligator strap, matte finish. Does it come with a PG buckle?

7. TheHoff

TheHoff Distinguished Member

I am partial to brown straps with PG and RG cases. I would recommend a rich brown alligator strap, matte finish. Does it come with a PG buckle?

With PG/RG I also like rich brown but with a bit of red in it (see above!).

8. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

I'll help. My favorite watch. I probably wear it more than any other. IWC 5441 Jubilee Portugesier. I drove from Philadelphia to Princeton in a snowstorm to meet a guy from Brooklyn at a train station to collect this watch.

[​IMG]

BEAUTIFUL watch, one of the nicest I've ever seen. Out of curiosity, what's the ballpark on those? They were limited edition, correct?

9. Thurston

Thurston Distinguished Member

BEAUTIFUL watch, one of the nicest I've ever seen. Out of curiosity, what's the ballpark on those? They were limited edition, correct?

Thanks. Yes, they were LE: 1000 ss ($8,500), 500 rg ($12,500) & 250 pt ($21,500). They were released in 1993, probably all produced by 1995 and many sat at dealers through 2000. Then they became the hottest watch for collectors. I bought this one at the end of 2005. Through a series of WTB ads, targeted emails to people who know people in watches and answering old FS ads, I turned up two in every metal. At that time, steel was going for $12k, gold was going for $15-$16k and platinum $20-$22k.

I even uncovered an ultra-rare Pisa Portuguesier for about $16k, but that was just too rich - even though I consider the Pisa the most beautiful of the lot.
    [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

A lot of the modern high-end straps are too thick to look good on the vintage watches.

However, I've seen some vintage watches with straps like these:

[​IMG]

11. gdl203

A lot of the modern high-end straps are too thick to look good on the vintage watches.

However, I've seen some vintage watches with straps like these:

http://images.snapfish.com/34647368&...67774%3Anu0mrj

Modern high-end straps can be purchased with various levels of padding. You're correct that unpadded straps are sometimes a better match for thin vintage watches. The one pictured seems to have slight padding

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I think this strap is very nice:

[​IMG]

13. Stax

Stax Senior Member

I'll start

Panerai PAM210, modified with 18k gold plating on hands
    [​IMG]

nice

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

late 50s early 60s Tiffany AP on a new (very thin) strap. [​IMG] pic quality is horrible. oh well.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I even uncovered an ultra-rare Pisa Portuguesier for about $16k, but that was just too rich - even though I consider the Pisa the most beautiful of the lot.
    [​IMG]

The Pisa Port really is beautiful. I just don't like the 'Pisa' branding over the sub-dial. I appreciate that Cellini doesn't visibly sub-brand the limited editions they commission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.