• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatduhever

Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently own a few watches but nothing on the upper echelons of watches.
As my 21st is approaching, my dad has given me the privilege to choose a watch for myself with a budget of 10 grand.
I have one more year of college and after which i would be moving on to help my dad out with his business.
So, i'm looking for a day to day / dress watch.
Currently looking at 3 watches, need some opinions on the watches. (Any other recommendation would be lovely)

http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/59/59b13f40_tumblr_lpe53yD7wd1qhnv0vo1_500.jpeg

http://cdn.styleforum.net/7/70/70ba2c54_DSC00007.jpeg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bN1d8CHIxd0/TnCTJOcIxKI/AAAAAAAABFk/mZA4JK9mLqY/s1600/Jaquet+Droz+04.jpg

Thanks!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 Gs? so many options. if it were me i would look for a nice pre owned patek.

you can find a lot of real nice stuff in that budget. im a huge jlc fan, so you can browse their models. plenty to choose from at that price point.

also, no offence, but how on earth did you join in 2009, and this is your first post? :mindblown:

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reverso is an old mans watch.

And as Stiches says so many options, I would probably get a Vacheron Constantin Overseas or a IWC Big Ingenieur

If you want to make it more difficult check out www.chrono24.com

Cylon

Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently own a few watches but nothing on the upper echelons of watches.
As my 21st is approaching, my dad has given me the privilege to choose a watch for myself with a budget of 10 grand.
I have one more year of college and after which i would be moving on to help my dad out with his business.
So, i'm looking for a day to day / dress watch.
Currently looking at 3 watches, need some opinions on the watches. (Any other recommendation would be lovely)
http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/59/59b13f40_tumblr_lpe53yD7wd1qhnv0vo1_500.jpeg
http://cdn.styleforum.net/7/70/70ba2c54_DSC00007.jpeg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bN1d8CHIxd0/TnCTJOcIxKI/AAAAAAAABFk/mZA4JK9mLqY/s1600/Jaquet+Droz+04.jpg
Thanks!

Interesting post. 10k is a lot to play with but i'm having a little trouble understanding a theme behind your selections. It's ok if there isn't one, but I just want to ask: what are you looking for? The Jaquet Droz strikes me as a more formal timepiece, whereas the Dornbluth and the JLC can be more "scalable." You say you will be helping your dad out w his business, so how do you foresee yourself dressing on a day to day basis? Are we talking wool suits? Suit separates with the occasional cotton trouser? Polo shirt and jeans? If you're comfortable with sharing, tell us a little about the job: what kind of industry and what role will you be performing?

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably say none of those - it just isn't worth it to have a baller watch when you are that young - people will either think it is a fake or you are a showoff rich kid (so you can't win either way).

I'd just get a nice used Omega Speedy or vintage Patek and lie about how it was handed down to you from your grandfather or whatever.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd probably say none of those - it just isn't worth it to have a baller watch when you are that young - people will either think it is a fake or you are a showoff rich kid (so you can't win either way).
I'd just get a nice used Omega Speedy or vintage Patek and lie about how it was handed down to you from your grandfather or whatever.

Kind of agree with this. Given your age and what you will be wearing day to day a sports watch makes more sense to me. If you spend less than 10k won't your dad be impressed?

6up

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki

Kind of agree with this. Given your age and what you will be wearing day to day a sports watch makes more sense to me. If you spend less than 10k won't your dad be impressed?

+1

If I had to pick 1 of the 3....it would be the reverso. It will grow with you and carry on for the next 10+ yrs

At your stage in life, I'd say the Speedy works best. Think about it this way....right now....would you rather roll in a 2dr sports car or S4/C63 saloon?

Cylon

Reaction score
beautiful, and perfectly paired with your clothing.

+1!!!

And I would echo what akatsuki said about those 3 watches. Not befitting of a 21 year old

Speedy Pro, Zenith El Primero or a Submariner are your best bets with deference to the first two for your age

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From two....
3705s.jpg

To one....
3705pouchl-1.jpg

Now gone but fondly remembered.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reverso is an old mans watch.

c'mon... gimme a break.. that's just silly.

this is a point of class and elegance that may be lost on some.... I like you akatsuki!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

c'mon... gimme a break.. that's just silly.

It's a subjective opinion like everything else, but I think that it looks out of place on a 20 year old, with the way most young people dress and the design of the watch. In my world I would say that you have to be over 30 to make it look good, maybe even 40.

Last edited:

whatduhever

Reaction score

10 Gs? so many options. if it were me i would look for a nice pre owned patek.
you can find a lot of real nice stuff in that budget. im a huge jlc fan, so you can browse their models. plenty to choose from at that price point.
also, no offence, but how on earth did you join in 2009, and this is your first post? :mindblown:

Haha, i enjoy browsing through the forums and listening to different perspective from different people! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads