The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ wow! nice... :drool:

Last edited: May 1, 2012

2. sduffman

sduffman New Member

Some nice stuff in this thread. I need to do a collection shot

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The AP is 39mm and the Pateks are 40-40,8mm, so they are actually small by modern standards, Hublot are 45mm and up, from what I remember.

The Patek designs are really a like it or not kind of thing, you have to like square watches, to like them, personally I love them.

I have never been a fan of AP's, I would rather have a Vacheron Constantin Overseas instead. It has the same movement and is better look, but for some reason I like the black AP.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

4. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

5. kalye

kalye Well-Known Member

6. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

partagas- it's a great watch and you see very few of them around.
    btw those bamfords are horrible, the whole store is horrible, just tacky playthings for bored hedge fund managers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I prefer the polaris to the deep sea
    [​IMG]

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

re: our discussion on baume mercier & other chronographs yesterday, this new Watch Snob article is both timely and relevant.

He reaches the same conclusion as we did, though surprisingly didn't mention Longines (which I think is a great value)

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ha, yeah, I saw that article yesterday and chuckled about how his decision essentially mirrored what we came up with. I wish that the Watch Snob was a little "kinder" on brands other than PP, AP, ALS, VC, etc. I feel like most people slightly interested in watches get their information from sites like AskMen, and they are really doing a disservice to many readers by being so tongue in cheek.

For example, I wish that he would mention something like a Longines. At least Zenith got the nod. I also wish he would stop bringing up my JLC Master Control as a great watch for people entering the realm of higher-end watches. I would like for my watch to remain hidden from the masses.

With that said, I do enjoy reading the Snob on occasion. If only for the contradictions and lulz.

10. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He IS speaking the truth regarding your JLC MC, but inevitably your average reader is going to settle on mainstream luxury brands (rolex, omega, cartier, breitling) regardless of what anyone says.

And remember he has to live up to the name "snob" re: AP PP ALS etc

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Yeah around 5K is what I am trying to stay with, but I would not mind spending less! I know nothing about watches, my interest in the watch was primarily motivated by the look (I know this may seem dumb). I considered the Rolex Submariner but I do not want the attention the name brand gets.

I am honestly open to suggestions. I like the face of the watch and the only time I use the chronograph is when I am timing how long I have been doing something, what do you guys use the function for? As I said I like the face of the watch but would not mind finding one that does not have so much going on. I like how slim the numbers are, the blue hands, placement of the chronograph and the tachometer markings.

I would like something that looks nice but I do not want to pay for it if the mechanics are suboptimal.

Yes pretty much, I wear a watch daily. I am currently wearing a very inexpensive watch that I bought when I graduated highschool. I would like to have an "outdoor" watch, considered the rolex submariner for this, but that watch will come after this one.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and advice guys, I am really reconsidering the Baume et Mercier now. :(

well the search continues, I like the longines but I wish it had a little more character (in my opinion at least).

Again I know nothing about watches and I do not play on learning much about them at the moment, there are a few other things that take presedence. So any help that I get from you guys is greatly appreciated! :D

Do some people really like having the moon and sun displayed on their watches? I remember seeing watches like this when I was younger and I never liked it, it made the watch look like a toy in my opinion.

12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I've seen the Capeland FB in person and it was very pretty but the whole thing seemed contrived to me. The dial is trying way too hard to look like some old school inventor's sketch and that takes away from how wonderful the movement is. That's just my take on it, somewhat of an insincere timepiece.

13. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

each to their own man- the moonphase is quite a fascinating little complication when you study it. never thought i would like it until i got one..

seriously, for 5k i would go for speedmaster professional, no question.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I have never used the chrono function on mine.

How about a used Rolex Explorer 1

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Doesn't that Longines that gdl posted run closer to $4k?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.