The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I most certainly agree.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i hate you

3. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

Is this a mens watch?

I did a quick search and it looks beautiful, and classy. Just looks a little small.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

[​IMG]

Thoughts? I would replace the black band with a brown alligator band.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Sure, brown is more nice for summer :) You can change it from time to time depends on what you are wearing I think

6. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

My second watch in my life,

[​IMG]

7. y0ud

y0ud Member

no watch ever suits my tattoos + wrist shape haha

8. y0ud

y0ud Member

no watch ever suits my tattoos and wrist shape :(

9. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

It's certainly a beautiful watch but the price is a little steep at 5k. There is a lot of competition at that price point and I'm not sure if Baume Mercier is boxing outside of its weight class there.

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Do you have any recommendations?

This watch was released last year I believe, and from what I have seen the previous model (Baume et Mercier Capeland Mens Chronograph Automatic Watch MOA10005) is can be found at around 3k. If they release a new version this year, I assume the price will drop significantly. But I know nothing about watches so this may not be the case.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Probably is not the case. This is essentially B&M's "Flagship" watch. I doubt it will be dropping in price anytime soon. And the reason this one is significantly more expensive is because it has a flyback function. It is a beautiful watch with a relatively pedestrian movement. I have heard that B&M's finishing is quite nice, however. I second Cyclon in his statement that there are many more watches out there in that price range that are probably a better "value," but if that watch ticks your boxes, then go for it. You may not care about a watch's movement as much as the other WIS on this thread :).

In this price range, I would maybe look at the Omega Aqua Terra 8500. It is ~ $4,300 MSRP, but with the FAD it is probably only $3,300-3,500, with boxes and papers. The Longines Column Wheel Chrono is also worth looking into, it will run you around $3,300. I am assuming, of course, that you don't want to drop 5 large, but would rather find something in the $3,000 range.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

The MOA10005 is a slightly different watch:

[​IMG]

The previously posted watch is the MOA10006, and can be had for around ~5k new.

If youre looking to spend 5k or under I would first take a look at Longines (Heritage, and the new Heritage 1942 are excellent values), then the Omega Speedmaster Profesional, and the new Zenith El Primero chronographs before making a decision.

EDIT: I confined my response to chronos because it seems you are most interested in that. if there are other types then let us know!

Newcomer: [​IMG] on the Longines

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Zenith El Primero Chronos would be substantially more though, eh? I kind of assumed that CalTex was asking for suggestions about a watch that could be dressed-up or dressed-down, but was a Chrono. Also, I would like to warn you, Chronos at that price range (other than the ones mentioned by Cyclon), really aren't going to give you the most bang for your buck. Most chronos are either based off the inexpensive Valjoux movement, or are very expensive column wheel chronos. The chronograph is expensive to make in-house. In the 5k range, a three hander is really the best way to go, or a three hander with a GMT function.

Also, if you are willing to wait, the Zenith Espada may be worth looking into.

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

The AT is now at $5,500. But you can still buy it at a great price @ $3,200-$3,500ish. I agree with Cylon, you can get a really nice Zenith El Primero chronograph around that price range. If you want something with the blue hand/marker. Longines does have some beautiful chronograph.

I'm pretty sure gdl203 is going post his Longines shortly :slayer:

15. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

You can get a new 38mm El Primero or the Captain Chronograph for around 5k. The striking tenth will cost you more.

+1 for a gdl203 longines action shot, but only if he can break away from the street brawls in WAYWRN [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.