1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

theres not much of a difference. when you get into this realm of watches, quality between them all will pretty much be equal....

2. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Really? Ive spoken to a few hardcore wis and they all are aghast at the mention of Dornblueth in the same breath as Lange.

Honestly Id rather patronise Dirk rather than some big conglomerate brand. Like your local tailor vs kiton..

But is Lange any better than the Quintus ?

3. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Dino - Thanks for the advice. Agreed all round generally.

I dislike the large Lange brand on the dial though on such a plain dial.

Is the VC white gold with cal 1003 (the one dopey posted earlier) still locate-able on the grey market or elsewhere ? Looks less kitsch than the Historiques.

btw isnt that a 308 in your avatar ?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yes and yes

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi B,

I'm sure if you search you could find a pre-owned VC watch that uses cal 1003. I believe the only 2 watches they currently are using that movement on are the Historique 1955 and their Patrimony Traditionelle Skeleton watch.

Its really difficult to find a brand that exceed the finishing standards of Lange. Whether you like the watch or their name on the dial is an entirely different matter. Journe makes a beautiful watch very low production numbers. However the few people I've met that owned them said they were terribly unreliable and had to undergo frequent repairs, which detracted from the ownership experience.

You are close very, its a 328GTS.

6. swblueblood

swblueblood Member

:slayer:

Beautiful Patrmony Contemporaine Small Model #81530/000r-9682:happy:

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I am not sure that the OP specified which Patrimony. The watch in your photo is the Patrimony Contemporaine small size, 36mm which uses cal 1400. There is a larger version the Patrimony Contempraine Automatic which is 40mm and uses call 2450 and has a solid 22K rotor. In addition there is the Patrimony Traditionnelle manual wind at 38mm which has a different case, dial, and I believe uses cal 4400. So there are several versions of Contemporaine...and thats not counting any of the complicated pieces.

8. in stitches

good info. based on the comparison to the lange slim, i assumed he was looking for a plain 2 handed slim watch, and that one fit the bill. i also assumed it would be slimmer as a handwind. but that is all assumption. without the op clarifying there are really too many options.

~B~ i suggest you do your homework, and return when you have a clearer picture of what you are looking for.

9. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

i'm feeling my blancpain 6654 is coming.

10. in stitches

love that. a good friend of mine wears one.

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

[​IMG]

the moonphase is just too sexy

1 person likes this.
  12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I love that BP. That moonphase just hits all the right chords for me :drool:

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

surprised blancpain doesnt get more wrist action on here.

14. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

same as breguet, doesn't got more attention here.

15. in stitches

while they both make some fantastic offerings, blancpain probably loses out to JLC much of the time, and breguet to ALS, PP, AP..... similar price points in general i think, though i have not checked blancpain prices in a while.

however, if i was a real collector, they would both have real representation by me.

16. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Blancpain is more expensive than. And for some model, with very similar function, blancpain can be 3k more expensive as far as i know.
    JLC represent better value but I like Blancpain's design. As for quality I heard JLC is better.

For breguet, tourbillon is the best but it's $$$$$. I think breguet is better than AP. Sorry but I think most AP are ugly especially the royal oak, looks like casio.
    Yes breguet lose to VC, PP, ALS. I actually german watches more than swiss.

17. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Love the slight whimsy on the date indicator.

18. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

insert aghast emoticon here

I've owned and sold two Journes (chronometre souverain, octa calendrier), and both of them required a significant factory overhaul. I like the Journe design as a counterweight to the more stark dials of Lange, but can't imagine ever picking one up again.

:embar:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  19. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

20. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

This particular one is my favorite of the Patrimony family. Perfect size, and the subdial for seconds is a nice touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.