Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizards11

wizards11 Well-Known Member

2. antikantian

antikantian Senior Member

If you don't mind buying pre-owned, Franck Muller's can be had at an exceptional price. If you find the normal JLC Reverso a bit boring, have you considered the Reverso Squadra (slightly larger, more in-line with the Santos as far as square-ness).

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

Lots of diff variations on the reversos.

Id take a Cartier Tank over a Santos though.

Also take a look at the Cartier Basculante

4. kalye

kalye Well-Known Member

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

Hmm not sure. I don't know much about Cartier. The only experience I have is with my wife's santos demoiselle and I tried fighting it ;)

I generally say Cartier is a jeweler first and a watchmaker second. They are currently trying very hard to challenge this line of thinking, but it still holds true for me. The only cartier worth getting IMHO is the tank. I don't care for the rivets on the santos. I don't think theyre congruent with the dressyness of the watch. If I wanted a manly looking, industrial style watch I'd get a diver--Linde Werdelin or a Sub

If I wanted a simple roman numeral watch id get the GO. In.a.heartbeat. Though I also like the Cartier Basculante for the parallel to the reverso storyline.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

6. Jpvfx

Jpvfx Well-Known Member

Careful with the Franck Muller, as someone has already mentioned resales isn't great.
    Whilst on the subject of Roman dials - here's PSM full enamel dial (not printed like must) in full effect! ;-)
    [​IMG]

7. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior Member

I usually hate Roman numerals on watches, but this one looks great. I think is that the numbers are tall and skinny enough that they resemble markers and thus maintaining the symmetry.

8. Jpvfx

Jpvfx Well-Known Member

Thank you div25sec9
    I agree, I wasn't not a fan of the 'Roman'! Actually I prefer just standard Arabic or even just 3,6,9,12 - dials. But there's something really traditional and classic about this dial even with the elongated indices, it has that classic London Piccadilly hanging clock face charm. It looks much better in the real, dial has an amazing lustre.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

I agree, love the PSM. Not the biggest fan of the lugs, but everyone's a critic. Very elegant face.

10. Sir F

Sir F Distinguished Member

Thanks for the help, but maybe better for me to go and watch everything in real life to see for sure what I like. And see the Cartier good again and maybe take a look at the tank..

11. oisin

oisin Senior Member

last one, at least until i try some new straps.

[​IMG]

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

Eh, I think Cartier has a pretty excellent watchmaking tradition which they pissed away making shitty quartz versions and crappy movements in their watches. They, like Bulgari, are now getting pretty serious about watchmaking, at least at the high end... They certainly have more real tradition in watchmaking than forum favorite, GO (not that there is anything wrong with GO).

Then again, Patek makes quartz watches - who would know enough to buy a Patek and then go and buy a quartz is beyond me.

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Distinguished Member

I had not heard of this before so I checked it out... great recommendation Cylon.... that is beautiful. :nodding:

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior Member

I've owned several Pateks and now own a couple of quartz pieces. My favorite is the Tissot T-Touch expert in Ti. Great watch, lots of functions and keeps perfect time. I also have a couple mech pieces. The Pateks were just too expensive for me to keep. Patel has gotten way out of the price range of normal folk. My partner has a Cartier Santos Dumont Privee. By the way those are screws, not rivets, and it's a stunning watch. In my opinion, Cartier makes the most beautiful women's watches.

15. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

It's my favorite Cartier! Glad you like it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.