1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

2. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

If you use an abrasive polishing cloth, you will risk removing parts of the gold layer

4. stickonatree

wouldn't gold-plated be more at risk, seeing as how if i use an abrasive polishing cloth, it might rub "through" to show the SS?

5. stamp0102

stamp0102 Senior member

gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

6. gdl203

stamp explained it well. gold filled is esssentially gold plated with a thicker layer of plating

So don't use abrasive polishing cloths (e.g. Cape Cod) but only the softer Selvyt-type jewelry cloths

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

There are two major difference betweens "gold-filled" and "gold plated." As you say, filled pieces are gold on the outside of the sheet of metal (top and bottom), with a layer of something else (usually brass) sandwiched in-between. Thus, gold-filled pieces start out as some blank shape (sheet, tube, etc) which is a sandwich, which is then worked accordingly. Gold plating is done after the final shaping of the piece.

The practical difference is that filled pieces usually have much thicker layers of gold. I don't know if this is necessarily dictated by the manufacturing process, but that's how they (usually) come out. Cross used to offer the same pen in both gold fill and plate for this very reason.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Today they call gold filling, "bonded gold".

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There's also something called rolled gold, which is, I believe, a thin layer of gold literally rolled onto a base metal at great pressure.

10. stickonatree

ahh, i see, thanks for all the info! i always *mistakenly* thought gold-filled meant that it was, well - filled with gold. marketing ploy, perhaps?

so from what i'm getting, this is the hierarchy of amount of gold:

gold filled = gold "tube" encasing some non-precious metal
    bonded gold / rolled gold / gold plated = thin layer of gold chemically processed/pressure rolled around non-precious metal

11. gdl203

IIRC, plating is a chemical process (particles in a bath with electrodes) vs. rolling a physical one (pressure) but I'm not 100% sure

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Another one is vermeil, which is gold over sterling silver.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

No bonded gold is when a gold sheet is wrapped around a metal...how I said it is interchangable with gold filed.

14. Coho

Coho Senior member

Not sure, but from experience, the gold filled watches (mostly vintage the like of Hamilton, Elgin, Helbros and maybe Bulova) have uneven metal composition. You can polish it but one spot would look slightly yellow and one spot would look slightly pink, unlike solid 18K.

15. sartort

sartort Senior member

twpt debut. Sinn 556.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came on a black strap, but I am experimenting with a Hadley Roma padded tan strap. Looking forward to adding the Sinn deployment down the road. To me this watch strikes the perfect dressy casual balance. The brushed metal and gloss dial dress up this modern flieger derived time piece.

16. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Love the combo, sartort. I've put a HR tan, non-contrasting stitched band on my black-dialed Seiko 5. Transforms that watch, too. I think I might like the dial of the 556 better than the 656. Nice watches and nice value, even with the recent price increases.

17. jimbo3971

jimbo3971 Member

18. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very badazz!!! Me likey!

I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.

19. stickonatree

Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460
    dress watches are usually very simplistic, and smaller/thinner. this gigantic chronograph doesn't seem to fit that bill at all.
    Very badazz!!! Me likey! I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.
    thankee, sir; correct thy problem asap with some vintage "flagship" or "mystery dial" models!

20. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460

You'll probably get differing opinions. Some will say that any nice watch is fine with a suit (make no mistake, that's a nice watch). I'm of the view that you're better off wearing that watch as what it is, which is a sport watch. I have an Omega Seamaster Chrono, which is the functional Omega equivalent to that watch and the most formal I am comfortable wearing it with is a sports coat or blazer. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.