1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree. It bothers me, too. I get the design point, it is trying to balance the P, and it might look better when you look at the watch in normal size. I have to see this in person to know for sure. I am looking for something like the Vacheron Masterplate Patrimony ultrathin that seems to no longer be in production. I posted it way upthread.

2. dopey

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

but the "P" you are ok with? ;)

dopey - i think that is a lovely, simple and elegant watch. i am under the impression though, that piaget does not make their own movements, and the ones they order are not particularly amazing. but i could be wrong, and many dont care about that anyway.

4. in stitches

5. dopey

You are wrong, at least with respect to ultra-thins. Piaget is one of the pioneers in ultrathins. Their current automatic is 43mm and spectacular. I think it is record breaking in a number of ways, as well, but I don't know how up to date that is:
    This is their "stock" ultathin automatic:
    [​IMG]
    As of 2010:"Like its Anniversary Limited Edition brethren, the Altiplano 43 mm watch equipped with the new Calibre 1208P is setting two new records: that of the thinnest mechanical self-winding movement on the market at 2.35 mm; and that of the thinnest watch in its category, measuring a mere 5.25 mm."
    [​IMG]

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I am more okay with the "P" because it is at the beginning of the word. I agree that the Patrimony is a nicer watch though I know the comment isnt exactly helpful.

7. dopey

Would you agree that the big T looks better in the photo of the automatic I posted? I think it does, either because of the scale of the photograph or because of the extra word printed below it. In any case, the Piaget name has been printed like that since the 1950s, at least on their ultra-thins.

8. dopey

I think I will go to the boutique today to look at them if I have some time.

Edit; This is the photo that first drew my attention:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

Nice casual day at work:
    [​IMG]

Stiches, here is a closeup of the ammo strap:
    [​IMG]

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry Stitch, but you are completely wrong about their movements. Piaget makes all of their own movements and they have often supplied them to other fine watch companies. I know you are a huge fan of tourbillons, so I suggest you take a closer look at their watches online (particularly some of their pieces with rectangular movements, they are very innovative). You could easily put their watches up against Patek, VC, AP, or almost any any other high end companies. Lange probably still has the finest finish of any non-independents...so that might be the one brand that is ahead of them in terms of quality (although with the exception of the Lange 1, I generally find Lange designs a bit too bland). The advantage Patek has is its resale...but it has that advantage to almost all brands.

Piaget doesn't have the prestige of Patek or Lange, nor do they have the brand recognition of say AP or VC...but their quality is impeccable. They are also a bit higher quality and more exclusive than JLCs. They are less expensive than comparable Pateks, APs, and VCs, and are often considered a bargain by many collectors. They may not be your taste, but they are definitely a top brand.
    Hi Dopey,

Piaget makes a fantastic watch! They are often underappreciated and overlooked, but it has the benefit of being less expensive than some of the big names in the industry. The Altiplano is a classic and its workmanship is top quality! I own a few VCs dress watches, and an AP RO, and if I were adding a dress watch to my collection, I would lean very strongly toward picking up something from Piaget. I would much rather have an Altiplano than something from VC's Patrimony collection (unless maybe it was one of their Chronographs). IMHO, Piaget's movements are much nicer in terms of finish than what VC had previously offered on some of their time only watches (although VC seems to have stepped up their game in recent years). As for the comments about the brand's "Signature" I like that they "P" and "T" are the same height, its distinctive and sets them apart from others. Piaget is definitely on my short list of "Must haves."

11. in stitches

dbln79 - great pic, BFAM. thanks for the ammo strap pic.

dino/dopey, yeah, i lost my brain there for a minute, sorry about that. i had read all about their involvement in ultra thin innovation and their movements, and being a manufacture, but i had a brain fart of sorts and forgot entirely. as a supposed watch lover, and connoisseur, i feel very ashamed of myself right now.

dino - i am very familiar with their tourb, dont even have to look it up (i might just for some pr0n tho). and i have always loved it. one of the prettiest tourbs out there imo. and of course, very thin. and i agree with your above statement as well, they make some great looking watches and movements, at a relatively bargain type price. their tourb for example would be twice as much under a different name.

12. dopey

The last two watches discussed in this thread. Diversity in action.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Automatic Altiplano is beautiful watch. Although, to be honest I preferred the manual wind when I tried them on a few months ago. They are famous for their ultra thin movements (often breaking records for the thinnest movements). Also some of their watches have beautiful platinum rotors...ask if they have any with platinum rotors that you can see in person. Anyway, my preference for the manual wind is actually based on the ratio of the diameter of the watch to the watch's thickness. At 43mm the ultra thin automatic looked a bit too much like a thin pancake on a strap. While at 40mm the manual wind with the subdial for seconds at 10 o'clock, looked to be more attractive in terms of the watch's proportions. But that's just my personal taste, you might love the auto at 43mm. Either would be a great addition to any collection.

14. dopey

My initial preference is for the manual because I don't want a subsidiary seconds dial on a dress watch. I also think 43mm is likely too big. My ideal version would be a manual, no seconds hand, 38-40mm and with a two-level dial like the automatic (but no third level, obviously, since no seconds dial). But I am open to seeing how the different sizes look on me and automatic won't be a deal killer.

Also, I don't need a watch.

15. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a watch snob blog somewhere that says Piaget is not top drawer-- don't know if this is a universal opinion. For some reason, their name doesn't come up a lot when discussing expensive stuff.

I do sort of like the Altiplano, though, and suspect that it would be pretty effective at 38mm. 40mm seems to be just a little too much to me for a dress watch-- a "look at my bling" gesture. And 43mm I don't get at all. If VC were to do their Patrimony Contemporaine at somewhere from 36-38mm, that might prompt a stupid purchase on my part.

16. in stitches

im with you on this. for this watch i would say to go without a subdial, its simplicity is its beauty. also, manual feels right for this watch. and slimmer, correct? as well, after meeting you, your build and wrist size would be far better suited for a 38-40mm, particularly for a dress watch.

and lastly, need has nothing to do with it. if you like, and can afford, do it. do it for me, buddy. :)

17. dopey

please to supply link?
    :) You are more of a cranky old man than I am! Maybe we can learn something from the kids.

I might be with you on 43mm, but I am willing to have look. Besides, my eyes are starting to go.

18. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Excuse me while I exit in the direction of the Poor Man's watch thread.

19. in stitches

:laugh: i meant in comparison to the likes of PP, ALS, AP, VC.....

20. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish I could, but I'm probably healthier for not knowing much about the people who take that stuff so seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.