1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

2. oisin

oisin Senior Member

congrats! wear it in good health. i'm still in the market for a 3570. I missed another good one not too long ago. too slow! i'm sure my patience will be rewarded at some point though.

your lineup (speedy pro and MUT Moon) is essentially what I have my eye on for my first two watches, with the speedmaster coming first, obviously. The new JLC Reverso Tribute also really catches my eye as a dress watch, though.

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

Thanks man!

The TT 1931 reverso was on my shortlist when I decided on the MUT. Both are beautiful and I still dream of owning the TT1931 someday. The moonphase complication beat out the reverso, as well as the date function and the second hand. The reverso has a very still face. The beauty, however, lies entirely in its simplicity and proportions.

Would having two black dials bother you though? I only say that because that's how I think and it would probably irk me at some point...

Also, its been said before: try the reverso on before you buy. I've tried the gold version but not the SS (tho the SS one is the one I am interested in). In love.

Love the speedmaster. Any version. I like the sapphire caseback, but I think I could go for a solid back too. Perfect watch for jeans and has a great wrist presence. Very diff than the MUT. Very happy with the hesalite too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Distinguished Member

You just have to be careful with vintage watch in general. Also keep in mind, most vintage watches are really small.

I'm glad I could help. The 3572 is a really awesome sport watch. Its funny that you mention the price. When I first bought my 3572, I was REALLY determine to win that auction. So I end up bidding up to $2,100 and won. After I receive it, I was like ahhhhh dang...I over paid. A year later, you couldn't really find that same watch for less than $2,400. I really regret selling my Speedy. At least I sold it to a local WIS. For the past few weeks, I've been throwing him offers, and he obv rejects it. I might buy another Speedy down the road. It was my first "nice watch"

The 1931 Reverso is on my short list. such a sexy watch.

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Distinguished Member

ya... me too!

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

ok lets go foursies on one

warreng
    kid nickels
    oisin
    me

we each get it for a week then ship it to the next person on the list--that is until someone doublecrosses the rest of us and we're forced the hunt the odd one out until the end of our days.

whos in?

In other news are they doing another run of 100 U.S. edition 1931 reversos? this time in a brown strap for 2012?

http://instagr.am/p/JDC-UwKysI/

7. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

Real watch, very pretty IRL. Also very small IRL. I would request a closer look at the dial if I were you. I am not an expert on vintage Rolex but that dial looks a little too 'perfect' IMHO.

Saw this receiving a lot of love on the internet recently...

[​IMG]

...it's a shame that it's a badly done redial in a badly overpolished case with an incorrect crown from a Seamaster.

My 0.02 - don't tip your toes in the vintage watch market till you know exactly what you are after and exactly what to look out for. And exactly what to avoid.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

8. Singular

Singular Senior Member

What's that?

9. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

the first watch worn on the moon

vs.

the first and only watch worn on the moon

The first is historically accurate, while the second is not.

A Waltman also made the trip on Apollo 15. The wording on the 3573 is either an error or a lie. I'd rather get a 3570 instead.

Source (just above halfway down where you see the "A" Apollo patch)

From Apollo XV, astronaut David Scott:

142:14:22 Scott: "Verify cabin at 3.5." Okay, cabin's at 3.5. Suit circuit's locked up at about 4.4. My PGA is coming through 5 and decaying. And let's slip on a watch.
    [Dave may have had his watch hanging from the instrument panel and, in any event, he is now putting it on and is probably starting the stopwatch function.]
    [Scott, from a 1996 letter - "I do not recall ever having looked at my watch after egress. In the cabin after EVA-2, I noticed that the crystal of my Omega had popped off sometime during the EVA. Therefore, on EVA-3, I used my backup Waltham watch (which was) of a similar type. It worked just fine during the even higher temperatures of EVA-3.]".A

10. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

Maybe the size of the numerals?

11. oisin

oisin Senior Member

on the vintage/redial front, I was over at my grandparents and my grandfather showed me two pocket watches of his. One a Hamilton the other a Bulova, I think--now I can't remember! The Bulova showed some signs of wear though was in great condition, but the Hamilton looked factory fresh inside and out even though it had to be 60+ years old. The dial was immaculate. Also another old Waltham also in great condition (belonged to my great-grandfather I think, and has his (and my) initials engraved on it. Just thought it was odd. And there's no way he'd have had them worked on I don't think. I wish I had snapped some pictures. No "great" watches in our family, but I have always liked a pocket watch and it was cool to see these.

12. oisin

oisin Senior Member

love it.

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Distinguished Member

so we draw straws to see who gets it first? :eh: haha!

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Distinguished Member

It was Cylon idea. So I guess he goes first, and then me/you/osin :revolve:

15. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

Come on guys. I am a fair man and this is styleforum.

We would need to start a new thread, post pics WAYWRN style and have people vote on who looks best.

Only after subjecting ourselves to merciless fit critiques, color matching and over all badassery would then a winner be announced.

Just so you know what you're all up against:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.