1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prayingrobot

prayingrobot Active Member

Understood, and thank you. Given it is reasonably water resistant and steel not gold, my hope is that I won't damage it but neither will I have to think about protecting it. I don't know whether annual calendars are more delicate than other Nautilus iterations, or whether they are all now tougher than in the past. $1-2k every five or six years is not far off, that's what I was quoted for routine maintenance. I use my kobold, sub, quartz tag, or even g shock for abusive stuff like biking or shooting. Didn't know cooking was a contact sport! Talking to my insurance agent today.

PR

2. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

3. prayingrobot

prayingrobot Active Member

Briefly off topic: I'm afraid of guns too. It hasn't stopped me from taking several concealed carry classes and owning numerous DAO autopistols. However, I concluded that at this time, it is too much responsibility, I don't want to carry much. I am probably moving to IL, the only ridiculous state in our union with no issue of civilian CCL. Only the bad guys and sparse police are packing.

What's that saying? God made man and woman, colonel colt made them equal.
    Guns are, for better or worse, universally our heritage. They defined us.

Be prepared :D

[​IMG]

4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Is that the American universe you are talking about?

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

maybe fear is not the best word. i respect them. i appreciate their need in society, and im glad the owners here carry. but i have no interest in bearing that responsibility.

GREAT, pic.

the shot gun is locked and loaded for anyone behind the counter who may need it.

6. Singular

Singular Senior member

I guess you are referring to MW?

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

Back to the reverso today. :)

[​IMG]

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

You'd probably get more traction in the Poor Man's Watch thread or PMWF.com. Honestly at $300 you are just picking for looks. If you want something automatic, then get an Orient or Seagull or something which has some horological respectability.

9. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Going to Naples today - wearing no watch at all - a naked feeling...

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As long as you aren't using it for really abusive stuff it will probably be fine. My friend that owned a steel Nautilus use to wear it all the time no matter how abusive the activity, and it just couldn't stand up to it. If he only had to get it serviced every 5-6 years he wouldn't have cared, and he probably would have kept it. But it was having to send it back and get repaired every 2 years or so that he grew tired of. Also that was a while ago and when a regular service without any repairs was probably just under $1,000...so with repairs it was costing him about twice that. Anyway, congrats and enjoy your new Nautilus.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Hayward,

I did a little research and there are a few subtle differences in the cases. The shoulders protecting the crown are a little narrower on the GMT than on the Sub. Also, the Sub is .5mm thicker (although I think thats just the case back that is thicker), but that might make the Sub sit slightly higher on the wrist. Overall, the cases are quite similar, but you were right there were a few differences.

I have tried the new Explorer 2, and I think you are right it, might be a bit too large. However, I do like its lugs on it as they are more tapered than on the Sub C or GMT C.

12. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

13. in stitches

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  14. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

Your definitely right that at this price I am picking for looks. However, I'm sure there are plenty of watches around this price that are of fair quality, are durable and can keep time, as well as plenty that are complete junk. I was hoping to get a sense of whether the watches I posted are the former or the latter.

Good call on the poor mans watch thread. I see there is some discussion of Daniel Wellington in there. The opinion seems to be that they're decent quality for the price.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  15. Kai

Kai Senior member

It it not ok to wear a watch in Naples?

16. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Is that due to "security concerns"?

17. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

You never heard of the Naples watch police? Rookies.

18. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

My sentiments as well. I think KW is filling a niche for people who want a simple dress watch but don't care about what's inside the watch or the brand.

19. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Careful, careful. As a proud Southern Italian we do grate at the exaggerated dangers of Napoli. Mostly stereotyping by Northerners. Milano is far and away the most dangerous city in Italy but still pretty safe by North American standards.

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ever seen the documentary Gomorrah or Pickpocket king on Nat geo, it doesn't seem like it was grasped out of thin air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.