• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
:cry: the $5,000,000 watch

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Unique piece with a total of 1282 diamonds
More than 100 carats of baguette diamonds
6 square emerald cut stones, each weighing more than 3 carats

Reference: 306.WX.0099.WX.9904

Case: 44 mm in diameter - 18K white gold set with 302 baguette diamonds, totalling 27 carats
Crystal: Sapphire with interior and exterior anti-reflective coating, plus metallised Hublot logo
Case-back: Enclosed, made from 18K white gold with engraved Hublot seal
Crown: 18K white gold set with 12 baguette diamonds totalling 0.67 carats, and a rose-cut diamond of 1.06 carats
Dia:l 18K white gold, 150 Palladium, set with 179 baguette diamonds totalling 8.75 carats
Hands: Faceted and diamond-polished rhodium-plated skeleton hands

Movement: HUB 1100 Self-winding mechanical movement - Frequency: 28,800 Vib/h (4 Hz)
Diameter: 11 1/2 ’’’ (Ø 25.60 mm)
Thickness: 3.60 mm
Components: 63 (Jewels: 25)
Power reserve: Approximately 42 hours
Bracelet: 18 K white gold set with 782 baguette diamonds, totalling 45 carats
6 square emerald cut diamonds, each over 3 carats, totalling more than 18 carats

Clasp: 18K white gold deployant buckle

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Some people have more money than taste.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some real nice pr0n right here. If I could choose one watch, it would definitely be something from Mr. Voutilainen (with PD coming in a very close second). I just love those over-sized Breguet hands. This is Kari's first tourbillon.

Quite interesting that Kari has hid the gear train and barrels, so that all you get to see is that gorgeous tourbillon cage.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! It's the Master Control Chronograph. In rose gold. The light was the morning light on the day of my daughter's christening. Nothing says watch idiot like stopping to take a pic of your watch when you have other more important matters to attend to :satisfied:
No wonder, the Submariner was never a luxury watch per se. It was definitely a tool watch when it was new, in the early seventies. But thanks to the OCD of watch collectors, what was once only a tool with the twist of red writing is a now an expensive luxury item. Go figure.
Thanks Cylon! I had a hard time picking one out this morning :D
DSC_1813.jpg

******* lovely. Not enough real Rolexes on this thread.

evanrose

Reaction score

Which navy was he in?

Sorry for the delay. I was corrected: "My grandfather, Robert L. Lowery, Jr. was in the very first group of guys that trained under Chennault when the US Air Force was created. He was 19 years old at that time, but had been serving since he was 17. He was born in 1922 and lied about his age because he needed the $ to support his family. I believe he was the oldest of 9 siblings." So it was the [US] Air Force. I was thinking that it would be ridiculous to have a Seiko at a time when he would have been at war with Japan (I thought maybe he was in Korea) but apparently, he received this watch commemoratively long after the war - but obviously not too long.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:cry: the $5,000,000 watch

TECHNICAL DETAILS
Unique piece with a total of 1282 diamonds
More than 100 carats of baguette diamonds
6 square emerald cut stones, each weighing more than 3 carats
Reference: 306.WX.0099.WX.9904
Case: 44 mm in diameter - 18K white gold set with 302 baguette diamonds, totalling 27 carats
Crystal: Sapphire with interior and exterior anti-reflective coating, plus metallised Hublot logo
Case-back: Enclosed, made from 18K white gold with engraved Hublot seal
Crown: 18K white gold set with 12 baguette diamonds totalling 0.67 carats, and a rose-cut diamond of 1.06 carats
Dia:l 18K white gold, 150 Palladium, set with 179 baguette diamonds totalling 8.75 carats
Hands: Faceted and diamond-polished rhodium-plated skeleton hands
Movement: HUB 1100 Self-winding mechanical movement - Frequency: 28,800 Vib/h (4 Hz)
Diameter: 11 1/2 ’’’ (Ø 25.60 mm)
Thickness: 3.60 mm
Components: 63 (Jewels: 25)
Power reserve: Approximately 42 hours
Bracelet: 18 K white gold set with 782 baguette diamonds, totalling 45 carats
6 square emerald cut diamonds, each over 3 carats, totalling more than 18 carats
Clasp: 18K white gold deployant buckle

yeah, the most expensive watches tend to be the jewelry pieces. some of the womens ones are quite nice, but the mens models are rather barfy imo.

Some real nice pr0n right here. If I could choose one watch, it would definitely be something from Mr. Voutilainen (with PD coming in a very close second). I just love those over-sized Breguet hands. This is Kari's first tourbillon.
Quite interesting that Kari has hid the gear train and barrels, so that all you get to see is that gorgeous tourbillon cage.

fantastic watch. great post.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That KV tourbillon is one of a kind from what I read and was $81K, which, to me, seems like quite a good deal for what you get (all being relative of course).

I think I would want the tourb on front because they are fun to watch though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

great post.

Spanks, stitchy.

That KV tourbillon is one of a kind from what I read and was $81K, which, to me, seems like quite a good deal for what you get (all being relative of course).
I think I would want the tourb on front because they are fun to watch though.

I agree with the first of your statements. $81k for a movement that was, and will only be, only made once, and by one of the greatest watchmakers in the world.... unbelievable. Think about it this way... a "cheap" tourb, the JLC MUT Tourb, is something around $50k.

I have to disagree with the tourb in the front though, I normally like them on the back. With few exceptions, I just think it just looks more... reserved. Of course, there are exceptions, but in general I like to keep that little secret to myself.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a JLC MUT Tourb for a while, but have been communicating with Grieb and Benzinger lately to maybe go that way.

As for the KV at 81K, the only other watch that would tempt me away would be if I could score a sonnerie in that range - something I would much rather have than a tourb. The cheapest I've seen is $100K for a minute repeater from JLC, and I know Chronoswiss has one for cheaper, but I have no knowledge of who they are or how their quality is.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Spanks, stitchy.

:cheers:

I agree with the first of your statements. $81k for a movement that was, and will only be, only made once, and by one of the greatest watchmakers in the world.... unbelievable. Think about it this way... a "cheap" tourb, the JLC MUT Tourb, is something around $50k.
I have to disagree with the tourb in the front though, I normally like them on the back. With few exceptions, I just think it just looks more... reserved. Of course, there are exceptions, but in general I like to keep that little secret to myself.

it is a great value. no doubt.

personally i like the tourbillon in the front, i like to be able to gaze upon its magical beauty at a glance. i know though that patek intentionally always puts it in the back. iirc its about not exposing it to the sun or something like that.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

personally i like the tourbillon in the front, i like to be able to gaze upon its magical beauty at a glance. i know though that patek intentionally always puts it in the back. iirc its about not exposing it to the sun or something like that.

That is interesting, never really thought about it that way, in re the sun's effect. One thing I like is that the Tourbillon is the seconds indicator, and I love the somewhat DBS type feel of the Tourbillon seconds.

And in regards to the Grieb and Benzinger... would you mind linking it? I honestly know next to nothing about them! And I feel like if you are going to do a Sonnerie, you might as well geaux big or geaux home.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Love it a lot
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

gorgeous, definitely one of my favorite Tank.
nod[1].gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. Its really become one of my favorite watches of all time.

IMHO, Cartier makes the nicest watches for women. Their men's pieces aren't my cup of tea, but the classic tank is one of the best.
Wear it in good health.

Not all of their watches are my taste, but they have made some great watches, such as the Tortue single pusher chroograph, the Rotonde Day/Night, and various Tanks. I've owned watches from nice brands that some would consider "more elite" than Cartier, but the Tank XL remains one of my favorites.

Thankfully there are lots of brands to meet everyones needs/tastes...after all man can't (or shouldn't have to) survive on one watch brand alone.
cheers.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is interesting, never really thought about it that way, in re the sun's effect. One thing I like is that the Tourbillon is the seconds indicator, and I love the somewhat DBS type feel of the Tourbillon seconds.

ive only worn 2 tourbillons in my life. a RD and a JLC. its quite the feeling.

And in regards to the Grieb and Benzinger... would you mind linking it? I honestly know next to nothing about them! And I feel like if you are going to do a Sonnerie, you might as well geaux big or geaux home.

youll have to ask akatsuki about that one.

Edgein

Reaction score
I agree with New. Getting a minute repeater/Sonnerie cheap will a exercise in futility. The sound won't be as good, the maintenance will be an issue, etc. Cheap being a relative term, 100K isn't cheap, but it is for a MR/S. I think the best watch complication is the chronograph. Most useful, looks cool and is relatively affordable. A Omega Speedy Pro is a great watch with a classic movement that is quite reasonable. Then again, I wear a Tissot T-Touch as an everyday watch. It has all the functions I need and more, totally accurate and titanium(very light). It's not mechanical, but I like it. I also have a vintage Vacheron sub seconds which I use as a dress watch. Along with a few others.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ive only worn 2 tourbillons in my life. a RD and a JLC. its quite the feeling.
youll have to ask akatsuki about that one.

Grieb and Benzinger take old top class movements, refinish them to a ridiculous level, recase them, and so forth. Each piece is custom.

You can see some of their current pieces here: http://www.grieb-benzinger.com/

I posted the black blossom some pages back, and I am going to do something in that series: http://www.styleforum.net/t/36253/the-watch-p0rn-thread/10785#post_5223783

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads