1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

+1 to both.

while we are at it, id love to see if medtech still has any pics of the journe. i really love journes watches.

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

I'ive posted pictures of this before, but this is my first wrist shot:

JLC Reverso Art Deco (white gold)

[​IMG]

3. in stitches

lovely. excellently paired with the jacket and links.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have the Constellation version of this watch.

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

It's a really wonderful watch, huh? Classically styled but with a quirky movement. I love my other watches but this one just seems a bit more special.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. dopey

Yep. Funny how the movement in your hand feels like something is broken, but not when it is on your wrist.
    I sent mine back to Switzerland at one point for a complete service and overhaul a few years ago. It came back looking factory fresh but for some of the age on the dial. On the other hand, the service probably cost more than the value of the watch. But I really like it and wanted to be able ot wear it daily.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. in stitches

its a great watch, and i regret not having purchased one very cheap when i had the chance.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hey Medtech,

Congrats again on your AP15202. It's simply great classic sport watch. You are quite right about production being very limited even though it's not a limited edition. During the last few years, on some of the AP related watch forums I have seen several people inquire as to whether the 15202 is still in production because they never see them at ADs and several ADs have said that they rarely have gotten in the last few years. My own AD got 1 in rose gold a few months before mine, but said he hadn't had a new steel Jumbo in his store in 4 or 5 years. So I think this will not be a watch you will see on tons of other people. Also with its list price being something like $6,500 more than a 15300 and about $5,500 more than a 15400, more potential RO buyers will go for those models (although 15300 are tougher for some to find with production having ended), as they are a bit more affordable, and some people may want the sweep second hand that come with the 15300/15400. I can say on a recent trip to Las Vegas, the AP 15202 & steel Rolex Daytonas were the only watches that were unavailable at dealers in Vegas. Other so called hard to get watches were easy to find there...I saw tons of new Pateks including chronographs, perpetual calendars, the time only steel Nautilus (white & blue dial), Nautilus annual calendar, steel Nautilus 5711/A1 moon phase & power reserve, and the Nautilus chronograph. I also saw both colors of the new Rolex Explorer 2 at every Rolex AD.
    I like that the 15202 is a low production watch that nearly mirrors the original. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Sorry to hear the Journe didn't work out for you. I've heard from several people they are temperamental, and the like old Jags, you need 2 Journes (one to wear plus a spare while its twin is being serviced).

Congrats again.
    Best regards,
    Dino

9. dopey

How hard is it to get an original RO in decent condition? And would you get that instead if you could - the lack of the applied extra AP logo and the smaller text throughout make it nicer in my opinion?

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks, for your kind words. Every now and then I travel to your area. If I get down there in the next few months I'll let you know. I'd love to see your shop and grab a drinks & chat watches. Hope to do that soon.
    Best regards,
    Dino

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No I wouldnt search for an original...the original is nice but the modern version is probably a better choice for daily wear.It's also very tough to find the original Jumbo in good shape. Many are tired and would need a very costly restoration (which can only be done in Switerland... and that's if they are not too far gone). Also I hear the tube on the originals are quite weak and break easily so you shouldn't get them wet. A friend found one & bought it but it had been poorly polished and many of the beautiful beveled edges of the case & bracelet were polished away by and idiot watch maker not truly familiar with AP. He sold it & said he should have bought a nice modern one and then he'd have kept it.

Not sure what you mean by extra logo. There is only one applied AP at 6 on the current 15202, same as the original. The smaller font on the dial of the original, is nice but doesn't matter much to me, as the only thing that would change is the name Audemars Piguet would be written slightly smaller (its also not like a Rolex with 4 lines of writing). Overall the new one is really impressive. They did an amazing job with this assignment bringing forth all of the important attributes of the original, but also giving this watch some nice features not found on the original, such as the saphire crystal back to admire the famous ultra thin cal 2120, the blue date wheel (making it more subtle than the white of the original), and the new bracelet and clasp are big improvements.

The original is a great watch! It created a genre of watches that didn't previously exist. Many other brands followed with models such as the Nautilus, 222, Laureato, Ingenieur Jumbo SL, but the RO was the original. I think an original RO would be great if I only collected AP, and it was going to be more of a museum piece rather than getting wrist time. The original and the modern versions are both great, and I'm really happy with the one I have.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  12. in stitches

deal, that sounds great. i hope we can make it happen.

13. dopey

Here is an original sketch by Genta:
    [​IMG]
    Note that there is no AP logo (at 6:00 or anywhere), just the name spelled out. It is possible that the final design was different - I didn't look at that.
    In any case, thank you for your response. It was very helpful.

Edit: Here is an image of the final, original version from AP's site. You are correct - there is a logo at 6:00[​IMG]
    I prefer the smaller font size on the original, but the darker date wheel on the reprise, so it is a wash design-wise, in which case I agree that new is better.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  14. in stitches

i really hope to have an exciting post to make here in the next few days.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Stitch, how about a hint? Is it related to a Panerai?

16. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Tease.

In the meantime, here's Pizza Face.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Sander

Sander Senior member

What happened to the dial?

18. in stitches

:nodding:

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Excellent...I look forward to seeing some pix soon!

20. in stitches

as do i. and i will happily provide them as soon as it arrives. :fonz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.