Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Cylon,

I'm very glad you post on SF - I find your posts very insightful.

1. Don't like either.

2. + 1

3. Also very disappointed by the size

4. I don't know why, but the Nautilus is growing on me...?

5. +1

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thank you :)

From the same day:

[​IMG]

Today's:

[​IMG]

3. wizards11

wizards11 Well-Known Member

Nice watch and cufflinks! where can i find custom cufflinks like those?

4. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Love the jaeger lecoultre. You got a great lighting on it too. What's the model?

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

nonserviam: killer combo!!!

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Thanks for the kind words--disagreeeing is more fun anyway [​IMG]

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've always thought those over the top blinged out models to be aimed at women.
    The only time I've seen the leopard daytona in the wild was on a hot asian chick.

That blue face YM reminds me of a Sector.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Is there a good encyclopedic coverage of Baselworld somewhere? The standard blogs just seem to pick out a piece here and there.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

First off, thanks Cyclon. for your insights. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to respond :).

1. I like the Tudor Pelagos. Dare I say it may replace my (increasingly diminished over the last few weeks) desire for a 5513/14060 sub. Not sure why thats been the case recently--could just be a mood swing. The blue yachtmaster is nice, as is the red bezel Tudor but they don't get my mojo going like the TP does. The nondate c-sub was a no brainer though most people here know how i feel about those wider lugs on the c-sub--just not for me. Rolex just seems very BLAH to me atm. Skydweller was a train wreck.

As I posted earlier, I think that Tudor's new divers REALLY hit it out of the park this year. The Pelagos and Heritage Black Bay are absolutely wonderful in my eyes. Great size without being too big. However, right now I am leaning towards the HBB. For some reason or another, I like a little bit of color or pop in my sports watches. Funny, because that is completely contrary to what I look for in a dress watch. As for the Sky-Dweller and Rolex pieces in general, I think they really screwed the pooch this year, to put it bluntly. Although I commend Rolex for introducing a new model, and that movement definitely has potential... I just wish they spent more time in thinking of a visually appealing dial. And for $50,000+, lord knows I would purchase a slew of other watches before even considering the Sky... Let me rephrase. I don't think I would ever consider the Sky-Dweller. And I concur with you about the lugs completely.

2. Speedmaster Racing? Sorry I'd buy the speedy pro first. And for those who already own a speedy pro I just dont see them pulling the trigger on another like that. If I want a racing watch...id get a Heuer. Speaking of which The Jack Heuer 80th Birthday Edition has been growing on me too.

+1. It makes me cringe when Omega bastardizes the Speedy Pro. I feel like they try to milk it for all that it is worth, which just ends up tainting the original. 'Tis sad.

3. As I've said before, I've been eagerly awaiting Glashuttes releases. The GO Cosmo Tourbillon is ugly. I can appreciate the complications, but..bleh. As for the Pano redesign, love the slimmer bezel,lugs but I agree with gdl on the old 2 dial display. Not sure how I feel about the redesign yet. I can't say I dislike them, but I have yet to say I WANT THAT WATCH. I have never understood why GO sized the Senator Chrono XL the way they did (44mm), and now the new Senator Observer is the same (also 44m). If the Senator Observer was 40 or 42mm, id take that over the JLC RdM any day. Not sure why they decided to make them so big. Now I have to wait to try the Senator Observer on the wrist. The senator perpetual calendar is also nice.

Hmm here is definitely where we diverge :). I will agree with you about the oversizing of GO. Who on earth wants a 48mm dress watch??! It just confuses me. The Senator Observer's size also makes me sad. I really feel like GO is going the wrong direction, if this is any indication. With that said, I would take the JLC RDM before the SO every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is definitely one of my favorites ever, although it saddens me that they have painted blue hands on the new JLC MUT RDM! Where I disagree with you is mainly in the new PML, PMD, etc. Although I wish they had not upsized all the way to 40mm (I think 37-39 would have been better), I absolutely love the new design. I have a new object of my affections. I may have to do some 'downsizing' to pick one of these bad boys up.

4. Never liked the nautilus. The white dial didnt change anything for me.

I love the Nautilus, and I love the white dial one as well. With that said, I would rather spend that kind of money on around 30 other Patek's before picking up a Nautilus. But that is just my prerogative.

5. NOMOS Glashutte is growing on me A LOT (but not because of anything in particular at baselworld).

I agree. I really want to try some of the 35mm models on the wrist. Their price : value ratio is through the roof.

As for next watch... perhaps the new GO PML. Or try to scoop up one of the old ones (even though I have heard that they are difficult to come across).

10. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

While not an expert on luxury watches, as far as appearance in the pictures, I like the JL better. Thanks for posting pics.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I find that thepuristspro.com has the most comprehensive "encyclopedia-like" coverage.

12. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

+ 1. Other blogs were too cluttered with rainbow daytona and hublot x ferrari.

And courtesy of TPP:

[​IMG]

:drool:

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Cylon : I really love the new pano design. I'll probably place an order two years from now. Im leaning towards the PanoReserve. I really like the cal 65 (I'm a sucker for manual wind). I know a lot of people would prefer the PML tho.

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thank you! It's the Master Control Chronograph. In rose gold. The light was the morning light on the day of my daughter's christening. Nothing says watch idiot like stopping to take a pic of your watch when you have other more important matters to attend to :satisfied:

No wonder, the Submariner was never a luxury watch per se. It was definitely a tool watch when it was new, in the early seventies. But thanks to the OCD of watch collectors, what was once only a tool with the twist of red writing is a now an expensive luxury item. Go figure.

Thanks Cylon! I had a hard time picking one out this morning :D

[​IMG]

15. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Thank you. On my wish list for this year.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.