1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Finally! Took me nearly a decade, but I finally managed to locate one of the Tom Ford for YSL Rive Gauche asymetrical watches. These were only made for one season before Ford was fired, and then Pilati (the new designer) promptly discontinued them. What a shame, as I thought they were some of the most attractive designer watches made in a long time.

They were produced either by Bedat or Boucheron (depending on who you ask), but in any case were made in better facilities than the usual Gucci Group timepieces. Ford intended them to be a staple of the YSl collections, in line with Hermes timepieces and entry-level Cartier. That never materialized! In any case, they are a nice watch and I'm thrilled FINALLY to have gotten one. :)

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the full range from the catalogue, which again was only produced for one season or so back in 2002-2003. It came in a range of movements and styles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

2. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

:crazy: on the skydweller... but the rose gold model with the brown finish is more interesting.. (pics stolen from tz)

[​IMG]

the new no-date sub makes me wanna rethink about getting the explorer 1 as my next watch...
    [​IMG]

and imho this is the best yachtmaster yet
    [​IMG]

and whoever in the head office greenlit this deserves torture
    [​IMG]

others of note in basel...

spacemaster :eek:
    [​IMG]

breguet classique chronometrie
    [​IMG]

breguet marine gmt
    [​IMG]

rm 039 :fu:
    [​IMG]

zenith's take on the pilot watch, pilot aeronef 20
    [​IMG]

pp split seconds chrono and perp calendar
    [​IMG]

think I'm gonna get one of these..
    [​IMG]

3. Getzione

Getzione Senior Member

You guys missed the new whitefaced Nautilus:

[​IMG]

In my opinion the nicest drop from Baselworld 2012.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is this a mens model?

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Yep. I love it.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Very nice. I love the older IWC Pilot watch chronographs. The ones from the 1990s to early 2000s are the only ones I'd consider today.

Interesting asymetric design. Kind of looks like a modernized version of Cartier Tank Asymetric. Patek, AP, VC and Cartier have all made asymetric designs and I always think they are so cool and a nice change of pace from the usual round or rectangular watches. Glad to see YSL produced a very handsome asymetric watch.

Not really a fan of the Nautilus with a white dial. Its not that it looks bad. Its simply that their blue/gray dial has more character and depth and makes for a more interesting looking watch IMHO.

Yes its a mens model. They also introduced a while dial Nautilus with moonphase, day, month and I believe date. I saw it on Patek's own website. I didn't check to see if its a perpetual calendar or an annual calendar.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Can't say I share your enthusiasm.

8. riton

riton Senior Member

Love the Glashutte !! [​IMG]

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Thanks! Of course any one of those would be great, but price/movement/etc. are far above this one; it's a nice designer watch but it's definitely not VC. IIRC, it uses a pretty standard ETA 2000/1 automatic movement (same used in some Cartier, Bedat, Longines, and many other $1000-2000 watches)... nothing to write home about. One more thing I like is that Ford designed the watch to twist around in the other direction as well. So, it wears very well on the wrist.

Found another pic of the range from the catalogue showing the different sizes/configurations.
    [​IMG]

+1.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

congrats prof! enjoy.

im not a huge fran of the blue face on the YM, but it does look nice.

and ive never liked their blinged out mens watches. but, im not a huge fan of blinged out mens models either. the diamond between the bottom lugs on the platinum pateks are cool. more than that i dont really like so much. but rolex must have a market for em cuz they always make em,

love it. i want a patek perp cal. one day so bad.

i dont love the nautilus, but this one strikes me as nicer than the previous models.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

I am, for some reason or another, always drawn to white dialed watches. Irrational or not, I guess that is how I am wired. And you know what they say, different strokes.

:fistbump:

12. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Possibly the worst page in the entire thread. Who wears some of these ugly assed things.

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

There is something about watch collectors and taste - where they don't meet. There are a ton of super-expensive monstrosities out there.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. johnvw

johnvw Distinguished Member

Not to be pedantic, but do you not mean subjective? :teach: Actually, though, elements of both may be included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.