The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

well yes you're right... it's more the vintage aspect, without strap and he carried it in WWII so that was enough to make the association (for me at least :happy:). Since we're on this topic though, I do have a vintage chrono from the late '40's that was my grandfather's by a company called Olympic. I don't know if it was a precursor of the shit-crap watches I see today called "Olympic" but I have been unable to find even a scrap of info about these watches and my local guy is no help either. Anyone?

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

sorry kid, no idea. pic?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

3. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Senior member

This is the defy xtreme I really like. Steel/titanium, stunning sports watch. [​IMG] Tried on a used but mint one recently, at 46.5mm case was just too big otherwise would have bought it. Another pic of it: [​IMG] Is this also considered offensive like the last Panerai I posted a pic of?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well it looks pretty robust, that's for sure.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

not my thing design wise, but with the appropriate gear, i see how it could be cool.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

imo you'd be thankful years from now you passed on that watch.

7. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Senior member

Possible yes, as it's not a watch that can be worn with everything or is to everyone's tastes. It was 50%+ off retail price, for a mint watch that had obviously hardly been warn.

It's similar to certain Franck Muller watches in that in photos it looks a bit over the top but in the flesh really looks stunning.

I think for me 40mm-42mm is the correct size watch.

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Well, that one certainly isn't as bad as some others that came up when I GIS'd it.

I do agree with you about watch size...I'd even drop it down to 39 to 42 is really the sweet spot for me too

Offensive? Well I dunno if thats the right word...but what about the issue of versatility? Would you want something you could wear with a lot of different things or does that not bother you?

The zenith that really gets my mojo going is the new striking tenth that we had the pleasure of seeing quite recently right here!

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Love that guy - :fistbump:

Nope; you're not alone, although Walken's character's 'only' went back to his dad. Regardless, pretty great history Moo, which makes that watch all the more special.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

sorry had to post... I've seen it countless times but oh well.... :lol:

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yes, that one should come with a warning for sure! :D

Uh, it's a striking 10th, the 1/10 markings are not on a subdial. :confused:

And as for a vintage A386... well, good luck finding a non-franken vintage A386 in good condition (a high beat vintage...) for a reasonable price. Remember that unlike vintage Omegas/Rolexes, there isn't a relatively abundant supply of parts out there should something go wrong.

[​IMG]

(comparo of the new & old 38mms)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

:cheers:

I lol'd.

13. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

i'm new here & this is my first post. i can't think of a better reason for that = can someone help me by identifying this particular hamilton
    and, possibly, where i can source it. i think i need it.

[​IMG] thanks

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I may be wrong, but didn't Rolex use Zenith movements on their Daytona's until the last few years when they switched to their in house movement. So, there should be a good supply of parts for those chronos.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Sort of, but they used Valjoux 72 based movements before that, and the Zenith Daytonas are sought after in their own right, arguably more so than the early Zeniths so it would be odd to cannibalise a Daytona for a Zenith in that sense. Also, cal.400s are significantly modified 3019s, so many parts are not drop in replacements, and some parts needed for the Zenith are absent in the Rolex/Zenith movements. Unlike Omega SA, Rolex SA has good control over NOS parts, and if a Rolex watch is old enough it is simply not supported anymore by them. I imagine it would be a nightmare cross referencing part numbers from the Rolex and Zenith parts catalogues.

I was referring more to more mundane cosmetic bits/bobs, like hands, dials, crown pushers, crowns, etc. And even with respect to spare internal parts there is no repository for Zenith parts that is easily accessible like the ones for vintage Rolex (of which the Zenith Daytonas are a small fraction) or Omega.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.