• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

now the real question is where can I get a JLC Ltd. Ed. Cadillac Escalade! :lol:

+1

IMG00553-20120214-0909.jpg

:slayer: nice shirt btw

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a PAM 183 Black Seal and sold it since I didn't care for the large crown digging into the top of my hand. Other than that I loved the simple sandwich dial and it looks great on the wrist. Always received tons of complements.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that strap.

islandboi8204

Reaction score
hey all, i'm currently trying to decide between a rolex 16610 or 1680/16800 as an everyday wearer. any opinions regarding which i should get? both are around the same price, though i'm worried about the age of the 1680 as it dates back a while i think. how easy/difficult is it to get rolex service if i'm buying it from an online vendor like demesy or bernard or capetown? i prefer the look of the 16800, but the 16610 is great too...

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm currently trying to decide between a rolex 16610 or 1680/16800 as an everyday wearer. any opinions regarding which i should get? both are around the same price, though i'm worried about the age of the 1680 as it dates back a while i think. how easy/difficult is it to get rolex service if i'm buying it from an online vendor like demesy or bernard or capetown? i prefer the look of the 16800, but the 16610 is great too...
Both are nice watches. Subs are pretty bullet proof and tons of both were produced. Rolex used to say they had parts available for watches until they were out of production for 20 years, now I think its parts availability until a watch is out of production 30 years. The few times I sent Rolex watches in for repairs I did not need any new movement parts, just a new tube and gasket. There are lots of places/people that can service a Sub, but there will probably be parts availability for a lot longer on a 16610 since it went out of production more recently. But if you love the look of the 16800 I wouldn't let that stop me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a lungo in an espresso cup. One shot.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am hitting watch paralysis on buying a dress watch.

At first, I was definitely going to do the Lange 1...

Then I thought, well, maybe I should just get a minimalist three hand, like a Patek 5296.

But I do like the angled markers of the JLC, and that chrono that was posted earlier looks pretty hot as well.

And then there is the Glasshutte Senator Meissen with its very lovely porcelain dial...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
$9-$10K for a RL timepiece sounds insane, but this is just beautfiul -

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rolex movement for the most part is really easy to service. Like Dino has already mention, you don't have to worry about replacing the entire movement any time soon. The 16800, I'm assuming you are looking at the Matte dial right? They are pretty undervalue right now. I really like it, you can get that vintage look with the Matte Dial, and along with the sapphire crystal, quick set date, and hi-beat movement. Just remember, the 16800 isn't going have the lume anymore.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Ralph Lauren has pretty much nailed the aesthetics of their watches. But the prices are just painful for a non-established, non-historic brand. At least the movements are well done, and if you think of it as a JLC chrono in a RL shell, then it is a deal.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I am hitting watch paralysis on buying a dress watch.
At first, I was definitely going to do the Lange 1...
Then I thought, well, maybe I should just get a minimalist three hand, like a Patek 5296.
But I do like the angled markers of the JLC, and that chrono that was posted earlier looks pretty hot as well.
And then there is the Glasshutte Senator Meissen with its very lovely porcelain dial...

get all 4 :teach:

im still on the fence about the RL line. a fashion brand watch at that price point i have a hard time believing in, but on the other hand from what ive read and the pictures ive seen, they do seem to be quite nice. im left unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads