The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I agree with Mr. Moo here. For a standard flieger design, archimede or stowa FTW. Spend the difference on anything else...like a briefcase right? [​IMG]

I would favor the Stowa for the simple reason there is no branding. I am not sure archimede offers one without

Update: I was wrong, they do but I think they offer different case sizes respectively.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The B-Uhr may be a fairly generic WW2 design (it was made by more than one German watch company) but it is without a doubt IWC that brought it back with the Big Pilot and started the wave of re-editions that followed. Also, while IWC and Stowa have historical claims on the design (they were two of the 5 makers of B-Uhr), most of the other brands have none - they're just riding the gravy train.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

So... I committed a WIS sin this morning, and was just wondering if there were any repercussions, or anything I should worry about.

I am always VERY safe about setting the date, and avoiding setting the date between 9:00-3:00. But today I was about to walk in to my interview and tried to set the date at about 10:20, thinking it was in the morning when I mistakenly set the watch at night :fu:

I gave it a solid 4-5 turns before realizing what I was doing. The date wheel still works perfectly, and the date still switches at midnight. Are there any residual problems that I should be worried about? I know that changing the date between 9-3 can be really bad for a watch, but is that the case with every movement?

4. gdl203

No it's really not that bad.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If there weren't any problems at midnight, your watch is probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Kid, its definitely one of my favorites.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Again, I don't care about this. The Stowas are nice but I don't want to wait 3 months for one.

7. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Really nice watches. I have always been more susceptible to a rectangular face than a round one.

8. gdl203

Not everything written on this board is directed or related to you, particularly if you're not quoted or referred to in the post. You bought what you bought - wear it in good health. this was to add to the mini-discussion on B-Uhr re-editions

9. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

i've inadvertently done this multiple times across multiple watches. they've all been okay so far.

except the very last time i did it on a valjoux 7750 (outfitted on Sinn watch), it stripped the stem and supposedly ground out some gear teeth as well. currently awaiting a very hefty bill from the watch repairer............

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks for the responses guys. I knew that with a Valjoux 7750 it could get really ugly, but I did not know if that was the case with other movements. Thanks for giving me some serious relief.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

It is related to me since your discussion involves a watch from a brand I purchased that began the discussion in the first place. I think I can answer as I please, no?

12. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

ive done it on other 7750s to no ill effect yet. its just the very last incident put it over the top... so its just a matter of grayscale, imo.

13. gdl203

Don't reply to my post saying you don't care. It was not directed to you. It's as simple as that, even you should be able to grasp it.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Welcome to the Internet. And as K said; it is a pretty cool shot. In fact, I could be wrong, but think I have seen other pics you posted here on blogs/tumblrs.

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Laco, Lange...and who is the fifth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.