Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree, as a generalization. But, as with most things, some people are good at doing just this and making money. Of course, it's not easy and not for everyone, but for those willing to put in the time to learn about the watches, learn about trends and spot new hypes, develop relationships with sources, watchmakers and customers, and scouring the world and the web for good deals, can make a good living dealing collectible watches.

Now, for everyone else, just focusing on buying right, at the best possible discount, should go a long way in helping preserve value if there's a need to sell the watch down the road.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

2. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

I believe all of PD's current creations rise in value before the customer even receives - low supply, high demand. This, of course, is an exception, and I concur with everyone else - watches are not an investment.

3. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I had a chance to meet with Mr. Dufour at his little work shop. Wonderful man that truly loves what he does and does it as well as anyone living. This was 5-6 yrs ago and was too late to get a Simplicity from him. The area surrounding Geneve is very beautiful and for a WIS, heaven! If you go, it's worth the trip to Rochat, near Lausanne. Might be the best restaurant in the world...

4. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics! I too had to wait and see it in person, but the proportions are dead on--not the same issue I have with the Master Ultra Thin...but again who would take my word for it :)

I do toy with the idea of playing around with the strap a bit but have decided for the time being to just enjoy it as it is.

As much as I love it, it has its limitations as you mention. Its not a casual watch, but that's not a dealbreaker. A Stowa or something can fill that casual/weekend gap nicely without breaking the bank.

As to why JLC is popular for most of us on here...I think they just make excellent watches, but also the type of person who comes to styleforum is someone who wants both a lasting elegance, quality and value. JLC fits that mold better than anyone else IMHO. Of course PP and ALS make amazing watches, but they arent attainable for most people lest they rearrange their life priorities. To use an imperfect analogy: Samuelsohn v. Kiton (im probably going to get skewered for this comparison and people will be saying actually theyre more like....[​IMG]but I think I made my point...people looking for something a little under the radar but undoubtedly well made)

And speaking about the JLC 1931...did you see Hodinkee lately? [​IMG]

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/2...g-a-jaeger-lecoultre-tribute-to-1931-rev.html

Thankfully not a Hublot (the opposite of under the radar)

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

any particular model/year? :puzzled: It's not on the website. Thx!

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

The best part of Dufour's watches is that, unlike a lot of current watchmakers, he is just sticking to perfectly elegant stuff. A lot of the watchmakers go a bit crazy with styling and frankly I find most of their work pretty ugly, but Dufour doesn't have anything to prove.

8. dshap

dshap Active Member

My newest--- vintage Omega Seamaster 300 (mid-60s) in exceptional condition. On a vintage NOS Tropic strap.

[​IMG]

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

nice watch dshap..congrats man!!

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Nomos being taken apart, cleaned, and put back together. Very cool.

11. lexybeast

lexybeast Well-Known Member

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

13. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

dshap - love your SM300! saw your posts on tz and equally admired your watch there lexybeast - my favourite nomos! the tangente seems to be the nomos of choice these days, but I can't get over the radial flip; someone posted a great nomos write up on tz's public forum ; great read if you haven't read it already. here's what I'm wearing today: [​IMG] this gets the least rotation but never fails to put a smile on my face.

14. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Beautiful dshap!!

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Tank Americaine is a beautiful watch. There have been a few variations, I prefer the one without a date window. It looks a little dressier without the date, but each version is very nice.

Thanks, its the Louis Cartier Tank XL. But many people abreviate the name as LC Tank XL.

Yes, the Tank XL that I have was part of their Collection Privee and was very limited in production only 200 pieces in rose gold and 50 in platinum. The new Tank XL is slightly larger and thinner (as it does not have the exhibition back to view the movement), and its a plain silver dial without guilloche. Its a very nice watch, but I like many elements of my Tank XL more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.