• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was talking to my father in law last weekend and I was discussing how much I'm facinated with watches and he shows me his original Omega 1970 Speedmaster moon watch. The watch is still in the Omega box with tags and has never been worn. I ask him why he never wears it and he indicates that its too valuable. What can go wrong with watches that sit around this long without being worn? I equate it to having a 1970 corvette parked in the garage that needs to be driven around the block a couple times a month or the engine becomes gummed up.

Everything can go wrong with it - in fact it becomes dangerous to handle... I'll take it off your hands to "dispose" of it.

Cylon

Reaction score
I was talking to my father in law last weekend and I was discussing how much I'm facinated with watches and he shows me his original Omega 1970 Speedmaster moon watch. The watch is still in the Omega box with tags and has never been worn. I ask him why he never wears it and he indicates that its too valuable. What can go wrong with watches that sit around this long without being worn? I equate it to having a 1970 corvette parked in the garage that needs to be driven around the block a couple times a month or the engine becomes gummed up.

If you are more familiar with cars, here is the analogy: a car needs to run in order for oil to rise and coat the pistons/housing. In the same way, a watch needs to be wound in order for the lubricant to coat the moving parts. In a car, if it does not run, the engine block rusts. A watch is no different in that respect I'd wager.

He should probably get it serviced.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
and a full moon tonight! I'll try rounding out the package with a pick of Morena Baccarin's moon as well.
The disk is black...I thought only the white-dialed (3689.30.31 and 3575.30) speedy's had the blue.

I havent seen the latest moonphase speedy with the realistic moon on the black dial, it looked awesome in pics though

A pic of morena baccarin would suffice
bounce2.gif

Last edited:

saysomething

Reaction score
I haven't seen it in the metal either but, yeah in pictures, the aventurine dial looks amazing.

The 1970 Speedy Pro definitely needs to be serviced; I wouldn't even attempt to wind it without a competent watchmaker looking at it first- not worth the risk imo.

oisin

Reaction score
You guys have been hitting all the watches I have been lusting after. Speedie pro, JLC MUTM, and JLC Reverso 1931 Tribute in black (and also the Rolex 14060M). I still haven't dipped my toe into buying a watch. It's not that I can't afford to, it's just I'm not sure I should. The Speedie would be the least expensive. The MUTM I love and Cylon's pictures have confirmed its coolness (though still need to see in person). Not sure if it's too formal for my every day wear, but for everything other than weekend casual it would probably be fine, and would work well as a dress watch too. Are they going to keep making the Reverso Tribute in stainless? I think it's fantastic, but seems like more of a second or third watch for me. Some of the other JLCs in this thread have also really agreed with me--I'm not sure why I'm on such a JLC kick. Anyway, hope to join this thread for real at some point! For now I'll just go back to watching all the pretty watches.

And as for the Royal Oak, my friend has a vintage one from the 1970s that was her father's. At first I really hated it, but the more I see it the more I love it. Her dial has a crazy patina too. I'm sure it needs servicing.

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score

If I am interpreting your Q correctly, I'd say an Omega Speedmaster Professional servicing would cost you somewhere in the  ~$300-400 range--probably more from Omega. Hope that answers your Q

Yes it does :) thank you

saysomething

Reaction score

The MUTM I love and Cylon's pictures have confirmed its coolness (though still need to see in person). Not sure if it's too formal for my every day wear, but for everything other than weekend casual it would probably be fine, and would work well as a dress watch too.

No, you don't; no; yes; yes; therefore, buy.

Seriously though, the mutm is perfect in every way. It'll most likely be my next watch unless I have the funds for a GO Senator Chronomtre.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
I like the Omegas too. Especially the Speedy Pro. Don't hold their value unless vintage. Watches, unless very high end limited production are not the best investments, but they are way cool.
I really like my vintage VC RG sub second time only. For everyday, I wear a Tissot T-touch Pro in titanium. Light and does what it needs to. Not mechanical, however. :(

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Omegas too.  Especially the Speedy Pro.  Don't hold their value unless vintage.  Watches, unless very high end limited production are not the best investments, but they are way cool.
I really like my vintage VC RG sub second time only.  For everyday, I wear a Tissot T-touch Pro in titanium.  Light and does what it needs to.  Not mechanical, however. :(

I'd almost never buy a watch "new". There are enough fetishizing watch geeks out there that you can pick up almost anything in pristine condition used.

I haven't had much luck with a couple more obscure watches that I am interested in, but since I refuse to pay retail on them (since they aren't worth that much), I'll just hold out.

Exceptions are probably the PP 5970/5270, Phillipe Dufour Simplicity, Vari's work and maybe a couple of others, but then you are talking $80K+. They will probably increase in value some... I can't imagine some of the other high end watches really having staying power in the same way (RMs, Unwerk) except as ugly curiosities.

Cylon

Reaction score
I find the whole idea of justifying a watch purchase as an investment to border on the ridiculous. Any object has the potential to increase in value--watch antiques roadshow--but nobody buys a desk or a piece of pottery thinking, "oh i'm gonna buy this BECAUSE it will triple in value after being forgotten for 4 generations." They buy it because they like it. Same goes with watches.

A watch is jewelery. We like to gloss over this fact by convincing ourselves it's a fine piece of mechanical engineering or delude ourselves its an investment like a 401k or a stock portfolio. While it certainly is the former, it is almost never the latter.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I find the whole idea of justifying a watch purchase as an investment to border on the ridiculous.

I agree, as a generalization. But, as with most things, some people are good at doing just this and making money. Of course, it's not easy and not for everyone, but for those willing to put in the time to learn about the watches, learn about trends and spot new hypes, develop relationships with sources, watchmakers and customers, and scouring the world and the web for good deals, can make a good living dealing collectible watches.

Now, for everyone else, just focusing on buying right, at the best possible discount, should go a long way in helping preserve value if there's a need to sell the watch down the road.

Last edited:

saysomething

Reaction score

Exceptions are probably the PP 5970/5270, Phillipe Dufour Simplicity, Vari's work and maybe a couple of others, but then you are talking $80K+. They will probably increase in value some... I can't imagine some of the other high end watches really having staying power in the same way (RMs, Unwerk) except as ugly curiosities.

I believe all of PD's current creations rise in value before the customer even receives - low supply, high demand. This, of course, is an exception, and I concur with everyone else - watches are not an investment.

Edgein

Reaction score
I had a chance to meet with Mr. Dufour at his little work shop. Wonderful man that truly loves what he does and does it as well as anyone living. This was 5-6 yrs ago and was too late to get a Simplicity from him. The area surrounding Geneve is very beautiful and for a WIS, heaven! If you go, it's worth the trip to Rochat, near Lausanne. Might be the best restaurant in the world...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads