1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Thanks, now let's see biebers rolex ... pimping hard.

[​IMG]

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It's more subtle than some of the monkey bracelets posted here recently.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member

:plain:

4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I feel this should be clarified so as not to leave open being taken in the wrong way.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Well I was under the impression that a more understated aesthetic was the norm here until all the louche boat anchors came out. I guess you all think I'm a prude but I have values. I've had to uphold those values at singular cost. To this day I remember the most painful day of my life, when my overly impressionable son came home with a Jumbo Aquanaut on his wrist. I disowned him on the spot. I've heard he sells the back of his wrist on Berwick Street now. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Truff.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hahaha! Quite right too!

Thankfully I'm not rich enough to be a watch-pimp, but I have to admit they're beautiful things. In the "understated" spirit mentioned above, I would like to share this. Not "P0rn" perhaps; more "what the butler saw" from a more innocent age!

I got my father's old Omega serviced and repaired (although didn't replace the damaged face). Probably cost more than the watch is worth, but it's got history. Now with a new simple grain leather strap instead of the steel bracelet; looks more "vintage" somehow. It's scruffy with the dings on the face, but with a new crown, glass, and original hands back on, and keeping time well again, I am very pleased with it. We're about the same age and condition, so we suit each other!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

That's a man's watch. My father had a Grand Seiko Hi Beat from the late 60s or early 70s. I'm not even sure they sold them in Australia and I think my grandmother brought it back from Singapore or Japan. In 1974 there was a massive flood in my hometown and someone who was working to repair my parents house stole it! Fucker.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thanks man. That's kind of the way I see it. This one would be a couple of years older than me; I'm guessing about '68-'69 (it was bought in '70).

"Fucker" indeed - hope he got his just desserts in jail some day!

10. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

THAT's how it's done. Perfect amount of 'come back' on the refinish and the strap couldn't have been a better choice. Good job.

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Why thank you very much!

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member

I really like the reverso, which model should I get?

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

If only my son had friends like you instead of the indolent crowd he came to hang out with.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

This is a lovely thing. For all the right reasons. I have only one of my father's better watches. An 18k gold Longines, from about 1965. I was once mugged while wearing it. Only had to 'give up' my wallet - but now only wear the watch on the rarest of occasions. Funny thing is, the same muggers, held up another guy about 15 minutes after me and they took his Swatch. Unfortunately for him they beat him badly. It took nearly a year of going back and forth to court. But of the 5 guys involved 4 actually did time.

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Can't you chain him to his bed until he sees the error of his ways?

16. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I was always "the kid" that my mother didn't want me to hang out with, she just wasn't aware that it was me. My dad always sussed my shit though.

17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Good, hope they did hard time.

18. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

Quote: I love this - simple look, personal history. Great.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Sometimes less is more, eh? Thanks Gdot, JT.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It depends on if you want something like a time only piece, or something with a few other functions. Also depends on how large you want to go. Personally, I only like the Reversos in the GT (Grand Taille) sized cases. For me they are the right size and allow one to wear the watch for dressier occasions with a suit or casually with jeans. I find all the the XGT sized watches too large and bulkie looking to wear with anything other than jeans. I also find they loose some of their elegance and look a bit clunky in the XGT cased size. The 1931 tribute watches are really handsome, for a time only piece. These are watches that must be tried on. A friend of mine bought one but ended up selling it as he never found it sat comfortably on his wrist due to its very flat carriage/case back. Some rectangular or square watches haved curved case backs that follow the contour of your wrist. Reversos don't. I don't own one but I've tried them on several times and overall I really like the design.

Good luck and let us know what you narrow your choices down to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.