• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylon

Reaction score

Whether you like it or not, the watch you choose says a lot about you (much like your shoes, but that's a story for another thread). If you are a mafia/triad godfather or a gulf arab sheikh with a crustache...it fits.. But judging by your avatar, I'm gonna go ahead and guess you are less than 30 years old and not one of the stereotypes mentioned.

The classic submariner is always a good choice. The pepsi bezel GMT is good if you have other watches that could carry the majority of the load otherwise, but I wouldn't want it as a daily wearer. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

chiggah

Reaction score
Yeah thanks guys

My first choice was the black bezel anyhow because its classic and doesn't make me look like a wannabe mafia

The two-tone came across in my mind after reading its more of a "rare" colorway, hence my second choice

Yes im below 30 :slayer:

Cylon

Reaction score
Go for as original as you can.

+1

Take the time to understand the difference between a 5513, 14060/m, and the 116610 unless you know you want a brand new one.
It would still be a good idea to know why some people go gaga for the vintage over the contemporary version.

hint: dial markers and lugs

If you aren't comfortable wading into the vintage market, thats cool too. I just find it important to make an informed decision
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

chiggah

Reaction score

+1

Take the time to understand the difference between a 5513, 14060/m, and the 116610 unless you know you want a brand new one.
It would still be a good idea to know why some people go gaga for the vintage over the contemporary version.

I did a bit of research and looked at the production models and dates http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Submariner

There are more of the 16610 for sale for some reason, but that's all i got :/

Cylon

Reaction score
thats the newest one, thats why.. The dial markers have white gold surrounds, the lugs are a bit larger (some like them and others do not). All depends on what you are comfortable with and the size of your wrist.

Then green bezel isnt bad IMO, but its just not as versatile (like the pepsi GMT)

Both WarrenG and akatsuki, members who post in this thread frequently JUST (i mean within the last week or so) bought subs so stick around to hear what they have to say or shoot em a PM

dig backwards in here to see some of their pics too

Last edited:

chiggah

Reaction score
where would you suggest looking ? been browsing timezone forums

How is watchuseek ?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, just throwing it out there bud, I would seriously advise you to take a step back and do some research. There is TONS of information out there, and I think that you would be much happier if you looked around and make sure that you get what you want.

I am on both TZ and WUS.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I usually check chrono24 to get pricing ideas. I have never purchased on the internet like that but some people here have. Newcomer has recommended timezone so you can ask him about that too. I would be warier about Rolex v other brands because Rolexes are counterfeited a lot. The link you showed me...im no expert but I would take a close look at the size of the numbers in the date window

Cylon

Reaction score
Also, just throwing it out there bud, I would seriously advise you to take a step back and do some research. There is TONS of information out there, and I think that you would be much happier if you looked around and make sure that you get what you want.
I am on both TZ and WUS.

Thanks for chiming in Newcomer...

I agree with what Newcomer is saying. Haste can make you do some stupid things, especially on the internet. If you want to buy it ASAP just go to an AD.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for chiming in Newcomer...

And I agree with what he is saying. Haste can make you do some stupid things, especially on the internet. If you want to buy it ASAP just go to an AD.

+1. If you need help with Timezone or anything, please let me know. Also, you can always post information on this thread and we can help you out. I have bought and sold on TZ before, and it is an incredibly "honest" website, from what I have seen. Just make sure to ask for references from whoever you might buy from.

With that saying, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to pick out a model you like, upload pictures to a word document or put some pictures in a file, and then look at them again in 1 month. You would be very surprised how you feel about your 'pick' after some time. Better that than to buy something, realize you like something else more, and then take a loss. If you don't mind my suggestion, you may also want to look at the new Omega Planet Ocean, considering that you are a young guy like me. If you are going to purchase a Rolex, I suggest you do so because you really like the look of it, rather than just because you want a Rolex. There are a lot of fish in the sea!

Cylon

Reaction score
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/132777-1999-rolex-submariner/
guy wants to offer $3200 but im not a pro rolex person
How can i identify if it's legit or not ?

Best thing you can do is become intimately aware of what a real one looks/feels like

#1 is the weight of how it feels

everything else is in the details: polishing on the bracelet, the movement (tho most fakes have ETA so a smooth sweeping hand tells you squat), otherwise you gotta get into how many seconds the "swiss made" spans, the size of the magnification of the cyclops, etc. If you dont know those details then you should first before buying off some random dude.

Google "how to spot a fake rolex" and read.

If it was me, and I am in the market for a vintage sub sooner or later, I would go to a reputable shop.

chiggah

Reaction score
This will be my first watch and i won't be making an impulse purchase. I will take about 2 months to browse around before making a purchase

Will be looking at a 16610 in black bezel

Cylon

Reaction score
You would be very surprised how you feel about your 'pick' after some time. Better that than to buy something, realize you like something else more, and then take a loss. If you don't mind my suggestion, you may also want to look at the new Omega Planet Ocean, considering that you are a young guy like me. If you are going to purchase a Rolex, I suggest you do so because you really like the look of it, rather than just because you want a Rolex. There are a lot of fish in the sea!

Cannot emphasize this enough. Not everyone is as crazy as me but it took me over a year to pick my last watch. I had to make sure I really liked it, and it was not some ephemeral choice.

Cylon

Reaction score
This will be my first watch and i won't be making an impulse purchase. I will take about 2 months to browse around before making a purchase
Will be looking at a 16610 in black bezel

It's a solid choice for sure but realize we are going to interrogate you now
devil.gif

What do you want your watch for? Every day versatile wear?

Have a read of this: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches_600/625_all-purpose-watches-watch-snob.html

Rolex is certainly not a bad choice, but people in this thread can sometimes be doubtful of people who settle on Rolex believing it to be the best watch out there..This deserves to be read, it helped me out a lot when I first started ogling watches: http://chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads