• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylon

Reaction score
Personally, I've grown tired of the grand dates on watches except on Langes and JLCs. Lange was the first to use it and JLC developed it for them, so I see a historical connection for them. Now that lots of other brands have it, it doesn't seem quite so special. So on anything other than a Lange or JLC, I'd skip it. But thats just my 2 cents.

I share this sentiment, though with JLC i wish it wasn't offset on the reverso (11oclock...blech...why?!).

Love it on the GO senator sixties too

ALS is the standard for me though--high and mighty at 12oclock.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Glashuette's pano date is the least awkward and best looking of the three large date makers (because of the lack of window frames and vertical separation).

PRE-BASEL+2010+-+GLASHUTTE+ORIGINAL+-+PanoMaticLunar+XL+90-02-36-12-05+zoom.jpg

Lange has something similar in the Zeitwerk:

A.-Lange-&-Sohne-Lange-Zeitwerk-140.021_1245140688.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something is def not right. Most likely there is an issue with the mainspring that is not allowing it to tension all the way. Also 8 secs a day is not good... you can get the watch to a greater level of precision -/+ 2 or 3 secs a day.

I have a vintage GP that was doing the same thing...wouldn't make it thru the night without being wound again. I had it fixed just recently (about 2 weeks ago); replaced the mainspring and had it tuned up. Since then it has been running great and the power reserve is much longer now.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its nothing to go bonkers about, but its a nice trinket. my jlc has a skeleton hour hand for a 2nd time zone and an AM/PM indicator window. nothing insane, but it satisfies my need to have more than just a 3 handed watch. :D

what model is that JLC? any pix?

Mikey Irish

Reaction score
Sorry the picture (taken on blackberry) isnt the greatest but thought i'd show my collection.

The first one is ecko, then Bulova, then the last two are Citizen Eco-Drive.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have recomendations for watch repair? Anyone have experience with Farfo Vintage Watches?

The movement is an Omega 268, which has a power reserve of 43 hours.

Last edited:

Mikey Irish

Reaction score
Sorry the picture (taken on blackberry) isnt the greatest but thought i'd show my collection.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I share this sentiment, though with JLC i wish it wasn't offset on the reverso (11oclock...blech...why?!).

ALS is the standard for me though--high and mighty at 12oclock.

Interesting. I kind of like when the dial and date layout are a bit unexpected.

Some ALS the grand date is at 12, but on the Lange 1 its between 1 and 2 .

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see why power reserve indicators are any less useful on automatic watches. Knowing how much power you have left lets you know how efficiently your watch is winding, how frequently you should wear it to keep it going, and whether it's time to give it a manual wind.

div25sec9

Reaction score

Did you register just to post this nonsense on here? This is a thread discussing complications and high end watches and you felt it necessary to put up a low quality pic of your Marc Ecko watch? ...give your head a shake...and welcome to the forums

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ :lol: thx for the "collection" pic. I was thinking this when that Tommy Hilfiger was posted the other day... somehow it snuck by w/o mention.

Mikey Irish

Reaction score
Did you register just to post this nonsense on here? This is a thread discussing complications and high end watches and you felt it necessary to put up a low quality pic of your Marc Ecko watch? ...give your head a shake...and welcome to the forums

Easy cool guy, I didnt know this had turned into a complication thread, considering the original post states its a thread to post pictures of your watches, and FYI there's one Marc Ecko watch the last 3 are Bulova and 2 eco-drives (the gold watch was a 900$ watch that I got a nice deal on in St. Thomas USVI).

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok, i found one that you can kinda make out the watch in. cropped from a pic when i took my daughter to her first day of school.
252-1.jpg

my pleasure. watches are something i really have a passion for, and i like nothing more than spreading that love. i really aught to check out this thread more often.
im glad i was able to explain that in a way you found to be helpful.
:fistbump:

nice ..thanks for sharing that pic! I agree, I really like this thread. 50% of my posts came from this thread I think.....

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally agree--but what? There aren't many entry-level complications on a watch other than a chronograph. Maybe I am just being a brat but I don't think classify a date window as a complication. If you are willing to spend a bit more then you can get a moon phase or alarm function, but minute repeaters, perpetual calendar, and of course tourbillon forget about em unless you wanna shell out some serious cash

Understood, although I thought you could get a moonphase for the price range this JLC is in.

... I personally despise winders so I keep all my watches in a box or simply on my side table. ....

Interesting; I have heard watchmakers say that these tend to wear the watch out. Is that the reason for your dislike or are there other factors involved?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Understood, although I thought you could get a moonphase for the price range this JLC is in.
Interesting; I have heard watchmakers say that these tend to wear the watch out. Is that the reason for your dislike or are there other factors involved?

I wouldn't use a winder unless I own like 2-3x perpetual calender watches and maybe some moonphase. I mean other then that, it would literally just take me less than a min to set my watch up anyway. This is including me hoping on my computer and type in "time.gov"....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads