The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

higher end watches do not by definition store more power. the indicator just tells you how much power your watch has stored. its more practical in a manual wind where you can see if your watch is running low and wind it if necessary. on an automatic model that is constantly winding on the wrist, its more there to be pretty and as a complication being offered by the manufacture.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If they were going to do so, I think they would have done it at SIHH this past January when they released their new watches. I don't think most companies go to both shows.

I usually think Richmont and AP are the big brands at SIHH, and Swatch Group, Patek and Rolex the big names at Basel.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, I've read articles that describe both the process of making the dials, and beveling the case edges and bracelet links is incredibly labor intensive. Its also the kind of watch you only want AP to do any polishing (if at all after several years of wearing). I've seen a few ROs that looked horrible after botched polishing jobs by local watch makers. Once those crisply beveled edges are gone the watches never look quite right.

4. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

calling iwc experts! about to pull the trigger on my first watch (mark xv) from a reputable overseas second hand dealer.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

however, one minor detail someone picked up was that the crown appears to be a replacement 'probus' rather than iwc 'fish' crown. is this something to worry about or just worth enquiring about the service history?

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The crowns switched to the "Probus Scafusia" style from the fish style later in the Mark XV's model run, so it is possible it is original. Also, if the watch has been serviced by IWC, they may have switched the crown at the factory.

6. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

thanks mafoofan, greatly appreciated!

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

My Mk XV has the Probus Scafusia crown (though I'd rather have the fishy one).

8. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

good to know kaplan! i prefer the look of the fish one too for some reason.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

For me, it's because the Probus Scafusia text is too smal to read anyway and the fish graphic is just more clean and interesting. In the end it's a very minor detail, hardly noticeable unless you really look for it.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I traded my 14060M for this 'transitional' 5513 (transitional because it has white gold surrounds and acrylic crystal):

[​IMG]

11. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Beautiful. I cant make up my mind if I want a 5513 or 14060m

Either way, like you, I'ma go with no date + less wording

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

12. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

If you want a matte dial, go with 5513. Both are good choices though, especially given the current Sub have those ill proportioned fat lugs.

13. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

Ruzzi, always inquire about service history when buying a pre-owned watch; if the seller had the watch serviced, he should, but not always, be able to produce documentation. Although this would most likely be listed in the ad.

Ask the dealer for the serial no. of the XV; the # will give you an approximate date of production and whether the crown is original or replacement. Personally, if the latter, I'd look for another example as this would niggle at me every time I strapped it on. Since you're asking the question, I'd imagine it would bother you too. XV's are pretty rare to find in the 2nd hand market but not impossibly so - be patient and you'll come across another example.
    If you don't really care and posted the question because a friend or someone else mentioned the issue, don't ask a thing, buy, wear, be happy, rinse, repeat. Ignorance is bliss.

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether the crown is a replacement in this case. Nobody is making counterfeit "Probus Scafusia" crowns. If it was replaced on that watch, it was done by the factory--perhaps during a regular service. Even if it currently had the fish crown, there is a good chance IWC would change it out when you send it in for service anyway.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I like the fat lugs personally, but I like my diver to look solid like a diver and not a dress watch. Most people want their sub to do dual duty which I sort of understand and then a more elegant lug profile works better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.