1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

My most likely ersatz 5500 Air King "Explorer". Serial on the case is from the 1980s so probably a redial. Have considers a new dial for it but it looks so nice as is. So I just call it the NAFF E

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

My goodness, that Cartier is fantastic. One of the things that has bothered my with many square [rectangular] watches is the circular movement... It has always seemed out of place to me. But that honestly may be one of the most sublime Tanks I have ever seen.

And thanks for the anecdote Dino, I really never plan on buying a watch with the intent of selling it. Already I seriously doubt I could let this Speedy go [or the MC, although it is definitely the more likely of the two to go on the chopping block].

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

"]

I love that just as it is, thank you very much ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Regarding the RO. I owned a 15300 for a short time, and while it was a handsome watch I never found the bracelet to be anywhere near comfortable on my wrist. My wrist is pretty thin, and the RO felt like a solid ring, not a watch. The lock was too thick, and everything just too stout. I loved the angles of the case, but comfort wins. An extremely photogenic watch though! My advice is to try this watch on a lot before you buy.

[​IMG]

The Jumbo on the other hand, now that is a comfortable watch :happy: I had the opportunity to buy a 70s RO, but for some reason I never went for it. Very nice on the hand!

Instead I got this, and very happy with my choice :satisfied: The bracelet is like a playful cat´s tail around my wrist. And everything else about it is just about perfect. It´s surely worth every other dollar I paid for it ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for the kind words about the Tank XL. For me the rectangular movment was a huge selling point. Its quite rare to see them in a watch. I too am not fond of a rectangular watch with a round movement in it. But that is what most companies do because its easier and cheaper for them to pull a smaller round movement off their shelves that is used in another watch they make, rather than to trying to make or source a rectangular movement for a rectangular watch. I came to appreciate form movements when I was looking at VC Historique Carree (which used the elipse shape movement of a JLC Reverso). Glad to hear the Speedy Pro is a keeper...its a classic. If I were you, the only reason to consider letting the JLC go, would be if you found a slightly more complicated one that caught your eye. JLCs are just great watches and a great value!
    I tried on the 15300 and its larger brother the new 15400, its a nice watch, but neither was for me. The Jumbo, as you know is a vastly different watch, and just suited me perfectly. No regrets on that purchase.

The 5712 is really a stunning watch! IMHO, its really the only Nautilus with complications that works. I don't care for the chronograph version, the thickness and pushers make it look clumsy, and I don't care for the subdial within a subdial. The annual calendar version is nice, but I don't really like the apertures on the dial.
    I love the asymetric layout of the subdials on 5712. It makes great use of the dial space while still maintaining classic attributes like the ridged blue/grey dial & stick markers, and the bracelet is beautiful. IMHO the only modern Nautilus models to consider are the 5712 and the 5711 each is a beautiful and elegant sport watch. Enjoy it an thanks for sharing a photo of it.

6. academe

academe Senior member

Lovely Cartier. I think they are hugely underrated by WIS. The shaped movement is really something else; the finishing looks superb, but what else would you expect from Cartier/Piaget?

In my search for an ultra-thin I've cast high and wide. The Piagets are lovely watches as are the various JLCs and the of course the Girard-Perregaux 1966s.

My final four however were the aforementioned AP Jules Audemars, as well as the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950:

[​IMG]

And the Vacheron Constatin Extra Fine Historique 1968 and Patrimonty Contemporaine (platinum; with the same automatic movement as the AP and Historique 1968):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AP seem to sit my wrist most naturally and the price was a little less steep than either of the VCs!

7. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

[​IMG]

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

For some reason some of my pictures are changing their orientation when I post them here, but I'm wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

If I sold the JLC MC, it would be to pick up a JLC MC RDM :).

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

What about the Ultra Thin?

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

not the same caliber as some of you guys, but love this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. academe

academe Senior member

[​IMG]

Wore this today chasing around little ones at my son's first birthday party. Figured it would hold-up against knocks and scrapes a bit better than my RO.

13. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Oh i like this ....a closer pic would be good...
    i wouldn't bother about the originality - the face looks great and you have a more modern movement.
    Nioce!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

the pr0n here is unreal.

@dino - i recall reading a complaint about patek using round movements for their rectangular watches, and they developed a square movement just to put that complaint to bed. your tank is a thing of beauty. i like that my jlc has a square movement, at least it looks that way to me.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

love this. did you get this on ebay a few years back?

16. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Like this,

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

18. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I just got a watch that looks a lot like this, though cheap/common enough to not belong in this thread: an Orient ER24004B "Bambino" automatic.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Ah thats funny that you looked at the VC Historique 1968. I was fairly certain that I wanted a RO (either a Jumbo or chronograph), but on my last visit to NYC, I went to the VC bouttique and tried on the Historique 1968, the 1955 ultra thin, and the 1954 Aronde (not an ultra thin watch by any means but still interesting). The 1968 a very nice piece, but I thought the price was rediculous. Years ago I was a huge advocate for VC as they made some truly beautiful watches, with great movements, and at a great price (considering who their competion was/is). I own 2 VCs that I purchased new in the last 10 years and I really think they fit the descriptions of being truly beautiful, having great movements, and being a tremendous value. Unfortunately, I think many of their designs today are not that attractive and their pricing is rediculous. The only models I really like from them these days are from their Historique line. Years ago a friend who ran an store that as an AD for VC, Lange, GP, VC, Panerai, Zenith, Bvlgari, Jacque Edroz, and Rolex told me wait and see VC prices are going to become crazy. He had attended a meeting and people at VC were annoyed that dealers were discounting their products such as the VC Historique Chronograph, while the Patek 5070 chronograph was often selling above list price (both were using the same Lemania base at the time). The VC chrono was a freakin bargain with a list price at $17,000 (before any discounts) while the Pateks were over $30K. What happened, VC replaced the Historique Chronograph with the Malte Chronograph (which used the same movement as the prior chrono, they put it in a larger case, similar in size to Patek's 5070) and then they cranked the price up o $34,000 and the damn thing wasn't as good looking as the Historique Chronograph that it replaced. And keep in mind gold prices were not as insane as they are today. Anyway, the VC 1955 didn't interest me in person, and although I liked the 1968 (although not thrilled with a round movement in a square watch), the 1968 was so flat and large for a square watch that I didn't think it looked great on my wrist, and the entire time I looked at it I could not help thinking it should be about 1/2 of what its list price is.

I think of the ones you've narrowed it down to you have some nice choices with the AP Jules Audemars and the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950. I think stylistically the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 1950 is really quite striking in terms of design. I love the lugs and dial! My reservation with that piece would be what is their distribution chain and service center like. A brand like AP, I know I can count on for parts and service. A friend of mine bought his wife a watch from a smaller more obscure brand and when she damaged the bezel, it was a nightmare getting a replacement part. I just don't know too much about Parmigiani Fleurier, but if they have a service center set up in the US and you know other people have had good experiences with them, then I would say its a tough choice between that and an AP JA.

Good luck on your research and let us know what you decide. Either way I'm sure you will enjoy whichever ultra thin you choose.

The RDM is a beautiful watch, and would be a sensible trade if you decided to get something with a few more functions than the MC. Still the MC is clean and classic in design, and a great watch.
    Hi Stitch, yes later on Patek did release one or two rectangular watches using rectangular movements that were quite pricey (although nothing comes cheaply from Patek). However, I believe that with their more "affordable" rectangular watches continued to use round movements.
    No, not an ebay purchase. These watches were produced around the end of 2006 early 2007. I kind of decided late in the game mid 2008 that I wanted the Cartier Tank XL, and production of that model was limited to 200 in rose gold and 50 in platinum. By the time I went to my local Boutique (by about 2004/2005 the Collection Privee watches were longer available through ADs, only Cartier Boutiques), it had already sold its 1 alotted Tank XL. So they checked their computer to see if any other Boutiques had one. So while I was there they discovered their was one left and it was in North America, and they offered to bring it in for me to consider. So I ended up purchasing the last new one that was available. In the end, looking at some of the prices of watches today and what it offers it was really a steal !!!

20. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

fully agree. couldn't wear it with anything than the bracelet, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.