The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savile Row

Savile Row Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Orient was purchased in 1991 from a street merchant in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Yes, it runs counter-clockwise.
    Quite the conversation piece.

Ciao !

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

That (eastern) Arabic dial is awesome--i want one now!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

3. Savile Row

Savile Row Well-Known Member

I apologize for the multiple posts on the same subject, however I was receiving an error reporting there was a problem with the server... so, I kept "submitting", finally giving-up after the third "there is a problem submitting to this server".
    I guess there wasn't a problem after all.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In regards to the naysayers of using 'standard' movements, two prime examples of :wow: watches that use standard / base movements:

Valjoux 7750:

[​IMG]

Lemania 1354:

[​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it is interesting, but these types of researches/studies are often skewered. often they include only certain brands in the research or what they define as "luxury brand." hard to know what to take away from these things.

for exmaple, this;

is so clearly false its almost laughable. clearly they have left rolex and omega out of the "luxury" market, as those 2 brands hold more market share than likely all 3 mentioned. not saying they are better watches, but as to worldwide searches, and market share they are titans. thus, its hard for me to take these things seriously. its too easy to bend the data and present it as fact.

thanks, interesting info. i do not doubt that comfort had a hand in the change, but they replaced a work of art with a lightweight bland clasp, there had to be a middle ground. not a huge deal, just a little pet peeve of mine.

6. in stitches

nothing against buying outside movements. many are wonderful, complex and ultra high end. many are designed for and sold exclusively to the brand that orders that movement. many are also just base movements and are heavily altered after the fact by the brand using them. still, there is a certain appeal, intrigue and sense of pride in a true manufacture movement.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+1; quite surprised. Source please?

8. in stitches

the data is highly suspect. trust me.

9. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

In the link above the chart.

10. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Great information...thanks.

But what does the moon function on the watch do...is it a moon phase calendar?

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As in stitches said, the choice of the universe of brands for this study is dubious at best. It is supposed to focus on "Haute Horlogerie" but the list of brands seems cherry-picked - several are nowhere near "haute" (e.g. Zenith, GP) and numerous brands in the same bracket are not included (e.g. GO, Rolex...)

EDIT: so it's a bit clearer now: this specific media kit was meant to be part of SIHH coverage and includes only SIHH brands, so not a bias from the market research firm but a subset of the study for the purpose of SIHH marketing

[​IMG]

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As for Il Destriero Scafusia, that is an watch that cost several hundred thousand dollars, and IWC so throughly revised the 7750 that was used that it is nothing like what one would find even in a 10,000-20,000 IWC Hell it was hardly a 7750 by that time. An IWC Double Chonograph has no where near the finishing or amount of modifications that make Il Destriero Scafusia a rather special watch. In terms of quality, workmanship, and modifications and improvements to a base movement IWC's Double Chrono is more closely related to any 3,000-10,000 watch from a different company powered by a 7750, than it is to II Destriero Scafusia.

The Valjoux 7750 is a good sturdy workhorse. There is nothing wrong with it, at least when found in a watch within a certain price range. Personally, for that kind of money Il Destriero Scafusia cost, I don't want a 7750 powering my watch. As nice as that watch was its value tanked after they were sold, unlike those of many Pateks that either stayed stable or increased in value.

As for Lemania, I'd much rather have a Lemania powering my watch than a Valjoux 7750. They tend to be less common, and found in better watches like Breget, Patek (their old chronos and perpetual calendar chronograph) and VCs. Although, I'd pass on a UN. A friend had one that spent 6-8 months of the first two years of ownership going back for warranty repairs. My friend was really sorry about making that purchase.

13. in stitches

thanks gdl, i was wondering what the SIHH was getting at, as it seemed some of the brands included were partner brands and others were not, and as you said they clearly cherry picked who they wanted, maybe to hopefully come up with some semi predetermined result, as you said for marketing purposes.

it reminded me of another study i read about a little while back placing, iirc, JLC as the "best" (or some other odd adjective) "luxury" watch. now i love JLC and wear one almost daily, but its no patek or AP.... point being, these surveys and studies touch me off, because they are almost always pointed and they mislead the general public, who inevitably ends up reading these things walking away with absurd notions. /rant

i wondered if it was about costs, but i had a hard time believing that. at these price points these brands can just up the price to cover such costs, and the public will happily go along. hell, they often raise prices without any changes at all. im kinda stumped as to what the decision process was. likely comfort as mentioned above, but they could have devised a nicer alternative.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I suppose this is turning into a ranking of watch brands quickly... I end up agreeing with the Watch Snob in general that unless you are esoteric and getting into Philip Dufour territory, A Lange and Patek are probably at the top. I don't know if I would put AP up against them :) JLC might be about equal to AP in my estimation...

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The JLC single deployant was famous for being a poor fit on most wrists. It was fairly long and only sat well on wider wrists that could accommodate a long piece of metal like that. Anyone with small wrists would experience a slip to the side of the wrist, so the watch wouldn't sit straight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.