The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Love this, and generally the Sixties Senator more and more as the days go by.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Cuttingboard: She may not accompany you, but you will probably end up returning with her sooner or later after your own purchase. Keep that in mind ;)

[​IMG]

It's a Santos Demoiselle wrapped up for her birthday. My watches are on the back burner at the moment [​IMG]

...maybe thats why im so bitter with Cartier right now...

As Texasmade and Dino already discussed, the extremely small case size that women love it for makes a mechanical movement impossible. I tried to steer her in the direction of a slightly larger tank with a mechanical movement, wooing her with, "its the watch of Jackie-O and Ms. Obama!!!" but she had her heart set on this one (maybe shes just anti-democrat?)

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

oh well but that's great Cylon.... she'll be happy! I can't wait to get my girl the Reverso she wants... it will go nicely with the one I get myself! :nodding:

4. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Thanks man!

I woulda switched my moon for a reverso 1931 if she wanted a reverso as well, but she didnt bite. Even the AD shook his head and said, the reverso is a tough sell for the ladies...So you are a lucky man my friend (and so is Dino!)

5. Kid Nickels

thanks! they won't be exact matchy-matchy (she likes the regular w/ white croc band, Grand Taille for me w/ black croc) but it will be a very nice something to share between us. Happy Birthday to your lady... she'll love it!

6. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Found these pics on the TimeZone Forum and thought you guys would enjoy them...I present the JLC Duometre Tourbillon. Absolutely stunning!! Anyone have any idea how much these cost?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

8. Kid Nickels

^ i dunno... how many tens/hundreds of thousands??!! it's ridiculous... I've read around 200K!! Yikes.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Really? JLC has been making watches with caliber 101 since the 1950s...

[​IMG]

10. Kid Nickels

^ whoa... cool! it's so tiny.

11. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

yeah the caliber 101 is pretty small :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It did, started around mid Z-serial, M, and V-Serial. Tbh, the rolexrolexrolex is pretty much invisible in real life.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

[​IMG]

Ok...poor word choice. Not impossible, but cost prohibitive on a mass scale [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

More money than I will ever spend on a watch or car I'm sure. For regular folk like myself I was more excited about the reversos this year. Don't get me wrong--its a beautiful watch, but if I wanted an offset dial like that, I'd happily "settle" for a Glashutte Pano-something (sans tourbillon of course) [​IMG]

Random tangent: I think I just prefer symmetry in my dials. For instance I'd lean more toward a Panomatic counter XL or a Senator Calendar Week, than say a PanoInverse XL. Do I think its beautiful? Heck yes, but the asymmetry would most likely hold me back from pulling the trigger. Same goes for a submariner/master memovox with a date window.

Does this bother others too or am I in the minority of people who cant get over the hump on this one?

(Also fully aware this is a purely subjective style issue, I just wanted to hear others thoughts on it)

14. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

I have dealt with Kenneth twice before. He is a trusted seller. I have visited Collectors Haven many times before & he has many interesting pieces. Many Pams, incl. AP, Patek, IWC and the whole she-bang. It has been a while since I dealt with him though but he has been around for years & known to the Paneristis, at least few years ago. Collecting watches is a deadly hobby so I have managed to dodge this old hobby of mine for a few years now. :)

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

This is the watch I am wearing today, a Swiss manual 1950 Revue Sport, mine is on a black leather strap though.

[​IMG]

And this is the watch I was wearing yesterday, unlike the previous photo this is my actual watch. A 1930s Swiss manual Wendia Pansar for Swedish army officers. Base-metal case. So old that there is no flourescent paint left, and the hands are now hollow, it gives a great noisy reading on the Geiger-counter for Beta, and a low reading for Gamma.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.