The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Last night my wife and I were sitting on the couch and she asks me, "Is Invicta a good watch?" I asked her why and she indicated that they are on sale on Gilt or Rue La La for $200 and wanted to know why they were so expensive. I then realized that she will not be going with me when I puchase my JLC. On the other hand, she didn't mind that I bought her a cashmere/black fox cape for Christmas this year.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

please don't

3. bfongxd

bfongxd Member

what watch this this?
    thanks.

[​IMG]

4. bfongxd

bfongxd Member

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A few quick photos of another Cartier I have, a Pasha 950 Chronograph. It is part of a limited series of 500 pieces. The case is stainless steel, the bezel is platinum, and unlike most Pasha's it has a dark dial. The movement is based on an F.Piguet 1185, the same base movement used in VC's Overseas Chronograph, AP's Royal Oak 40 mm Chronograph.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

6. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I always thought it was because women's watches are smaller and they can't make automatics that small.

8. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

My new Longines La Grande Classique Presence. Swapped the shiny crocodile embossed band with the slightly heftier matte alligator embossed band. It fits because the case isn't ultra thin (which is one reason I bought it, it can be dressed up, but looks fine dressed down). Not the clearest photo, but good enough to get a feel for it...

[​IMG]

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I really like the new Omega. But I find them way too much thick for me now. Like the new PO chronograph is a really nice hefty piece. But its like I'm wearing a hockey puck on my wrist. Some people are really against the new Explorer. But the new size is perfect and the new bracelet is pretty neat. But hey good luck on w/e you decide on. Most AD down here still have the old Exp to compare it to.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+100 on the new Omega models. Even the smaller Planet Ocean is gigantic. I do like the 38.5mm Aquaterra though...

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Nice. At this point the 36mm Explorer is the only Rolex I'd seriously consider if I had to buy new from an AD.

It never got the rolexrolex rehaut, did it?

12. lbtemple

lbtemple Active Member

Maybe she was looking at this one: http://stores.nextag.com/store/4908844/product/974503474/Stainless-Steel-Pro-Diver

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

haha... ok sorry. :embar: it's not THAT bad ... (ok maybe a little)

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:
    Smaller case sizes can definitely be a limiting factor in terms of using an automatic movement in a ladies watch. Although, there have been a few ladies watches that are automatics such as the Rolex ladies Datejust, a ladies IWC Pilot watch that was made in the 1990s, and I believe there have been a Blancpain or two that were automatics. Patek, GO, JLC, Cartier and a few others have offered a handful of manual wind ladies watches although most of their ladies selections are quartz. The bulk of ladies watches are quartz both as a result of case size and the fact that most women probably do not want to be bothered winding a watch everyday, and as others suggested the movement doesn't matter as much to most women as it does to men (although my wife is the exception and won't consider a quartz watch).

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your new watch. Nice clean looking dial. Enjoy it and wear it in good health!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.