The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

2. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Nice man, my Sub came in yesterday. You going love it!

[​IMG]

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

or this... for a Cartier Tank I really like this one!

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Tank Normale isn't a current production piece, that photo was just to show the evolution of the Tank, but its a great piece. However, at the SIHH show they just re-launched a new ultra slim Tank XL, with Piaget based hand wound movement. Although, the new one doesn't have the exhibition back or the guilloche work on the dial. There are lots of great vintage variations also, like the Tank Obus, Tank Chinoise, Tank Cintree, and Tank Americaine to name a few.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Kid,

Its definitely one of my favorites. I still have to post a photo or two of my other VC when I have some time.

Best regards,
    Dino

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I do love it! No worries. When I get my old skool Tank fixed I'll post it up too... lookin forward to the VC.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

'

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I am loving all the action in here of late...well most of it [​IMG]

1. From a Hermes watch to a gold Panerai with a radioactive green strap...YIKES.

Quite a few people have already expounded on the direction I was heading, but I would definitely rather commit a quartz "mistake" with a Cartier Tank than that Hermes. I consider Cartier a jeweler first, and a watchmaker second but Dino944's Tank certainly made me challenge my preconceptions there. Whatever you think about Cartier, that its more for ladies or the price you must pay for the Cartier name, his is a beautiful first-rate timepiece. I too cannot wait to see the 3rd VC you have in your pocket slowly killing us as we wait, because the two you have already presented us are very interesting, unique choices. They strike me as carefully selected, and are an absolute pleasure to look at. I look forward to reading your posts whether pics or info.

davesmith: I have to ask, if you're afraid a watch will make you look feminine, then why choose that one? That's like worrying your ass is too big, then stuffing a christmas ham or two down the back of your pants. If you want a smaller masculine watch why not a Rolex Explorer I, the older/smaller 36mm? JLC Master Ultra Thin, or as we have beaten to death, a Cartier Tank? Those can all be had around $2-3k I believe.

2. Congrats to you akatsuki on your new acquisition. I see you chose the sub over the RL. I think its a wise choice, but in the final analysis who cares what I think? What matters is that you are happy. Hope you are because it looks great on your wrist! Cordovan or how about a Bond Nato strap? Two Subs in as many days! Rolex should be paying us right?

Edit: just read the line about straps for vintage subs only from Dino....just another reason for you snap some more pix akatsuki so we can decide!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Absolutely right.

12. atila

atila Senior member

Good tips, thanks...

I've found out that the models that seem to appeal to me more are the older, 80s model face with the Sigma style markers - not a fan of the roman numerals/numbers. I only see the sigma style "dash" markers on models from the 70s and 80s, do they make them on the newer models as well?

I have become more undecided on the jubilee/oyster, I am definitely waiting it out as I am in no rush and being this is my first Rolex, and I'm still just 24, I want it to be right.

edit: Love this type of face, just with a blue dial:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

That green croc Panerai should be purchased by Spoo immediately.

14. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Great idea on the birth year!

I have tried the Speedmaster on, yes. I thought it would be too big for my tastes, but I liked it a lot. Those signature inwardly curving lugs are really nice on the wrist. As with the sub, I havent decided if I want to go for hesalite/sapphire crystal. I even got a chance to try the new Co-axial Chrono Speedmaster the other week. It's beautiful. I like the cleanliness of the 2-register dial, the ingenuity of still having the functionality of a 3-register one to boot, and the date window. What I wasn't so crazy about was the case height--16mm. The rotor was cool to look at but seemed clunky to me--don't know why that's the case but it just did.

Haven't tried the explorer yet, but I have tried the Zenith Striking Tenth. Not sure if I can pull off those lugs. Might go back to try it on if its still at my local AD. What's really interesting to me is the fact that I usually HATE the date window at 4oclock (re: the new Zenith El Primero 38mm), but for some reason I actually like it on this watch.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. gyalos

gyalos Senior member

There is a shop in London that does that thing with rolexes and birth years. And while at it, does anyone have or care to share any experiences with any one of these second hand shops that are scattered across the Mayfair area? The stated prices seem rather high, are they negotiable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.