• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score

Here is my take on the whole GO / GS debate. I really think it is difficult to even compare the two brands. I think that GS is more comparable to Rolex or Omega, whereas GO is more aptly compared to JLC, GP, etc. I am not saying that GS cannot be compared to GO or JLC or some other swiss brand of that calibre in terms of finish, but to me they just make very different watches. When I think of ways to describe GS, I think of excellent finish, an INCREDIBLY accurate and durable movement, and (often) more sporty designs. With GO, I think of beauty, various complications, beautifully decorated movements, etc. GS and GO are arguably my two favorite watch brands. However, they do not edge one another out for a spot in my collection. I do not think that they are better than one another, just very, very different.
With that said, I understand the GO fanboys here (mainly because I am one). They are creating VERY interesting watches that are wonderfully finished for an excellent price. The Senator Sixties and Seventies are great retro-inspired designs, and the PML may be one of the most gorgeous watches I have EVER seen. The watches posted by Warren speak for themselves.
Oh yeah, and whoever posted that GP is not a "top dog," what about this bad boy:

Interesting observations, thank you Newcomer.

Last edited:

absolutdenim

Reaction score
Ruzzi,

First off, great choice on the IWC mark XV. I am glad that you are choosing this version instead of the XVI.

I bought my Mark XV two years ago and love the watch.

For a watch of that caliber and price, I would not purchase the watch if it doesnt have the box, imho.

Also, like you said, there is no way the watch is still under warranty since it has been discontinued for a few years.

Just so you have a price knowledge, I paid a little over $3000 for the watch with bracelet.

I just got it back from IWC, where they did a complete tune up which cost me around $700. The watch was 6 years old.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

I'd like to use the collective wisdom SF'ers.

I'm really keen on getting my hands on a mint IWC Mark XV.

Is there anyway to confirm whether this Mark XV is genuine?

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=524130&rid=0

The red flags for me and HK and it's apparently still under warranty, but the watch was discontinued a few years ago. Oh and there's no box?

Any questions I can ask to determine the legitimacy? I'm thinking maybe ask for proof of purchase or something and warranty card details?

I have a brother in law in HK who can pick it up or take it to a dealer to get it check etc.

I've been saving up for a few months for this so I don't want to get ripped. At the same time I hardly see any Mint or Near Mint Mark XV's around and don't want to wait another 6-12 months for one
smile.gif

bhall41

Reaction score

The red flags for me and HK and it's apparently still under warranty, but the watch was discontinued a few years ago. Oh and there's no box?
Any questions I can ask to determine the legitimacy? I'm thinking maybe ask for proof of purchase or something and warranty card details?
I have a brother in law in HK who can pick it up or take it to a dealer to get it check etc.
I've been saving up for a few months for this so I don't want to get ripped. At the same time I hardly see any Mint or Near Mint Mark XV's around and don't want to wait another 6-12 months for one :)

Ruzzi, I picked mine up my Mk XV from a reputable second hand dealer in Oz a few months ago, and am very happy with it. While they are not exactly rare, you are right that Mk XVs don't come up for sale all the time either. If the watch in question has never been worn it is a little surprising that the seller does not have the box still. Re the warranty, the watch was discontinued a number of years ago by IWC, so I am similarly suprised that it is still under warranty, although it conceivably could be, depending on when it was purchased from the AD. I agree that you should request that the seller send you photos of the warranty card. I note that the seller only has a few posts to his name, which concerns me a bit - I would definately ask for references before proceeding.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My goodness that is a gorgeous watch. I honestly think that GP is the most underrated watchmaker in its tier. They have some beautiful pieces, and are often glossed over. If the SeaHawk Pro was a little bit smaller, I think it would probably be my favorite diver.

I like GP's as well... especially some of the more vintage/classic styles.

bhall41

Reaction score

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I need a recommendation on a relatively cheap, but still nice, women's watch. Under $500, preferably WAY under that, but nice all the same. Maybe a Christopher Ward, foreign Seiko, or something of the sort. Quartz is ok. Design and quality are key here.

jeffreng58

Reaction score
I like all the pictures of the hairy arms. But the watches are nice too.

andrewjamesdean

Reaction score
I've been saving up for a few months for this so I don't want to get ripped. At the same time I hardly see any Mint or Near Mint Mark XV's around and don't want to wait another 6-12 months for one :)

Ruzzi, I picked mine up my Mk XV from a reputable second hand dealer in Oz a few months ago, and am very happy with it. While they are not exactly rare, you are right that Mk XVs don't come up for sale all the time either. If the watch in question has never been worn it is a little surprising that the seller does not have the box still. Re the warranty, the watch was discontinued a number of years ago by IWC, so I am similarly suprised that it is still under warranty, although it conceivably could be, depending on when it was purchased from the AD. I agree that you should request that the seller send you photos of the warranty card. I note that the seller only has a few posts to his name, which concerns me a bit - I would definately ask for references before proceeding.

I'm after a Mark XV too, and am a fellow Aussie. Can I ask which dealer you got yours through and how much you picked it up for? Feel free to send a PM. got any pics of it?!

This thread is going to send me broke! There's about 7 watches on my list already!

andrewjamesdean

Reaction score

I'm after a Mark XV too, and am a fellow Aussie. Can I ask which dealer you got yours through and how much you picked it up for? Feel free to send a PM. got any pics of it?!

This thread is going to send me broke! There's about 7 watches on my list already!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a recommendation on a relatively cheap, but still nice, women's watch. Under $500, preferably WAY under that, but nice all the same. Maybe a Christopher Ward, foreign Seiko, or something of the sort. Quartz is ok. Design and quality are key here.

Michele? Seiko? Skagen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads