• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbtemple

Reaction score
Beautitful IWC...I love the chrono but find them too large for my 7.25 wrist with my sweetspot being between 36-42mm. I prefer the smaller vintage IWC Portugieser Automatic Ref. 3531.

This is a gorgeous watch.

ThatGuy

Reaction score

I have no beef at all with GO - they make lovely watches, and definately feel like a luxury product. However, I am not sure that I agree with you that the finishing on the dial and movement of a GO is superior to a GS.
I own a GS and have attached a couple of phots, taken below from my iPhone (quality is not the best, sorry), with a view to trying (not very successfully perhaps) to capture the quality of the finish. The dial, including the batton markers and hands, are highly polished.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to compare my GS with the current model DateJust (with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet) and thought that my GS was clearly superior to the Rolex, in terms of finishing.

Agreed. My colleague has a GS and I have personally handled a few of their models and compared these to GO. GO is overly praised for its pricepoint.

I only pointed out the unbiased favouritism that the forum has for GO. It makes you all sound like sheep following a shepard. Very funny.

To the person that stated that I own a GP, yes I do. Now what was yoour point about it not being on top of the food chain?

The lack originality in this thread is very very comforting to me. Good to know the amount of thinking going on.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

apologies if this is the wrong spot for this, but..
which max bill? i was always partial to the numbered version, but the pure simplicity of the alternative has got me thinking.
the numbered version is a little less formal, right? maybe that's what seals it for me.
027-3500-00-big.jpg

027-3501-00-big.jpg

have u also considered Nomos?

whyme?

Reaction score
^ i sure have but out of my price range, unfortunately. this is it!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no beef at all with GO - they make lovely watches, and definately feel like a luxury product. However, I am not sure that I agree with you that the finishing on the dial and movement of a GO is superior to a GS.
I own a GS and have attached a couple of phots, taken below from my iPhone (quality is not the best, sorry), with a view to trying (not very successfully perhaps) to capture the quality of the finish. The dial, including the batton markers and hands, are highly polished.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to compare my GS with the current model DateJust (with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet) and thought that my GS was clearly superior to the Rolex, in terms of finishing.

That's a really nice looking watch but you cannot argue that the movement is nicer than this

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
02_l.jpg
and
grand-seiko-caliber-9s64-manual-movement.jpg

vs

Glashutte_Original_movement_kaliber_90.jpg
and
glashutte-3.jpg

Is there a Grand Seiko that looks like these?

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. My colleague has a GS and I have personally handled a few of their models and compared these to GO. GO is overly praised for its pricepoint.
I only pointed out the unbiased favouritism that the forum has for GO. It makes you all sound like sheep following a shepard. Very funny.
To the person that stated that I own a GP, yes I do. Now what was yoour point about it not being on top of the food chain?
The lack originality in this thread is very very comforting to me. Good to know the amount of thinking going on.

Really? Does it help you sleep at night too?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_6104.jpg

DSC_6076.jpg

DSC_6073.jpg

GOSenatorRattrapanteMMA.jpg

boden.jpg

DSC_6128.jpg

DSC_6133.jpg

DSC_6138.jpg

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score
Those GO movements are very nicely decorated - and superior to my GS, or any other GS I have seen. Happy to concede that. I remain unconvinced that the finish, apart from the movement, is superior to GS - not to say that it isn't very nice. As I said in my earlier post, I have no beef with GO.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a strap from Sirtoli? I need a strap for my 1959 Omega Seamaster manual wind and have not been able to find anything that impresses me.

Since the watch is 36mm, a small grain Alligator (below) would be ideal as to not overpower the watch.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my take on the whole GO / GS debate. I really think it is difficult to even compare the two brands. I think that GS is more comparable to Rolex or Omega, whereas GO is more aptly compared to JLC, GP, etc. I am not saying that GS cannot be compared to GO or JLC or some other swiss brand of that calibre in terms of finish, but to me they just make very different watches. When I think of ways to describe GS, I think of excellent finish, an INCREDIBLY accurate and durable movement, and (often) more sporty designs. With GO, I think of beauty, various complications, beautifully decorated movements, etc. GS and GO are arguably my two favorite watch brands. However, they do not edge one another out for a spot in my collection. I do not think that they are better than one another, just very, very different.

With that said, I understand the GO fanboys here (mainly because I am one). They are creating VERY interesting watches that are wonderfully finished for an excellent price. The Senator Sixties and Seventies are great retro-inspired designs, and the PML may be one of the most gorgeous watches I have EVER seen. The watches posted by Warren speak for themselves.

Oh yeah, and whoever posted that GP is not a "top dog," what about this bad boy:

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone bought a strap from Sirtoli? I need a strap for my 1959 Omega Seamaster manual wind and have not been able to find anything that impresses me.
Since the watch is 36mm, a small grain Alligator (below) would be ideal as to not overpower the watch.
Suggestions?

I have the Andreas Sport (long-grain gator) in Dark Honey w/ white contrast stitching in a custom-ordered short length w/ their deployment clasp on my Stowa Marine Automatic.

Also have a Georgio (short-grain gator) in Dark Honey in a custom-ordered short length w/ deployment clasp on order, that is arriving in 1-2 weeks, that will be put on my Sea-Gull M186S.

I swear by Sirtoli. Great, friendly people when ordering. I also like that they can offer any strap in a short length (additional $40 & 6 week wait time), but for me and my small wrists, its worth it :nodding:. Beautiful exotic leathers at a good price. Purchase with confidence!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads