1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totenhosen

totenhosen Active Member

anyone know what model this is? I can't find it on the casio site.

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Thank you. What is AHCI?

3. totenhosen

totenhosen Active Member

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Something tells me these guys are a little out of my league. Some amazing watches though.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well there are small watchmakers like Dirk Dornblueth that are not more expensive than the big watch maisons, but offer a more personal experience, customization of the watch, special engraving, direct communication with the guys who make your watch, etc... So that's one thing to also look into. I love my Dornblueth. Some of the simpler, steel AHCI watches are also within the same price range, particularly in the secondary market, e.g. a Speake-Marin Piccadilly

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Most people buy stuff from their ID, so what ever they remember they will buy which is way advertising is such big business and companies are willing to give ballplayers etc. a 5-6 figure watch or a 8 figure endorsement deal.

Patek has to keep reminding people that they exist or the younger generation will slip out the grip to heavily advertised / branded companies like Hublot / AP.

Richemont also owns A. Lange and Roger Dubuis and you rarely see advertising from those two, which maybe do to Dubuis allegedly only makes 3k watches a year.

You have to give it to Richemont it's an impressive roster of watchmakers/jewelers they have VC, JLC, A. Lange, B&M, PAM, IWC, Piaget, Cartier, Van Cleef and they also own Mr. Porter

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

This is very true, you can get a really nice watch from an independent from around 10k$ if not less.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:nodding:

:(

for the most part anyway. as mentioned, there are some models that are not crazy espensive.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Wow! After seeing all these fancy watches, I want to take a hammer and smash my watch and get one of them IWCs. I think I probably own the cheapest watch in this forum. Sorry...it's just a tag[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Do you mean made by Patek or by another company? Patek does make other Calatravas that do not have the Clou de Paris (hobnail) pattern on the case.

13. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Hi Dino944 and thanks a lot for your answer.
    I am a student, so by no means am I able to afford a Patek.
    That watch is just the closest that I have seen to what an ideal simplistic watch should look to myself, so I thought I'd ask some guys who are way more into watches than what I am.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  14. Cant kill da Rooster

Price range?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

The Nomos is slimmer, with an inhouse movement, and is close to that Patek size (35-36mm?). I think almost 2k for a new one.

The Stowa have a Unitas movement (reliable and cheap/easy to service down the road). It is 41mm in diameter and 12mm thick. Close to 1k new.

16. float

float Senior member

Where's the links to the real cool straps that are made in 16mm for my baby omega and vintage military timex??? I'm talking beautiful...something like hodinkee but they haven't gotten back to me on whether or not they can produce 16mm. No NATO....bonus ++++ on suede

17. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Or get a STOWA antea KS.

18. Cant kill da Rooster

I meant to ask what is Louis price range.

19. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I'm German, so I know both the Nomos and the Stowa, but to be honest, whilst they are good looking watches, they are not my cup of tea.

The face of both is nothing near as clean as the one of the Patek, I don't like the handles of the Nomos, their housing isn't gold, also, as Waren already noticed, the Stowa is just too big, I am after a watch of very small diameter if you compare to what kind of watches are offered today, a maximum of 38mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.