1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

[​IMG]
    Well personally I would not even wear gold on my watches (Omega and JLC my babys). But I think that look is really cool on others, who fit it. And on that pic it looks pretty damn awsome to me, but we all have diffrent taste of course :)

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That watch with those cufflinks staged like that looks like a tacky gift for an executive. Real talk.

In other news, I've had a Cartier Ronde Solo sitting in my closet for a week waiting to be given to my mom for her birthday. It's so hard not to open it and look at it. I'm not a huge Cartier fan for men's watches but the finish is really really nice for a woman.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Cartier women watches are absolutely nice great choice, what a good son you are :) She will be very happy!

4. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

My thoughts too!

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

It was a joint effort with my dad, I'm not that great of a son! [​IMG] But, yes, I expect her to be thrilled. I am 99% sure that Cartier actually manufactured the (quartz) movement too, which satisfies the WIS in me.

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought might be time to put up a few photos of this old thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's nothing too special, but I like it anyway. The other watches have mainly been dust collectors since it showed up.

7. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

One of the few Rolex I like, the other of course, Daytona. Esp on bracelet, the strap doesn't work for me.

8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Agreed. It looks horrible on the strap. Especially that really thick Nato leather strap. IMO the only Rolex that looks good on a strap are the DJ in white gold and the Gold Daytonas - simply because the dials make them look different from their steel counterparts.

9. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards.

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Perfect violet fade there; looks great!

11. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Love the daytona and green sub, not a huge fan of the pepsi model. Sleezy asking this, how much did you pay for the sub?

12. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Was this one from hacko?

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yup .. Bought it as soon as i opened the email lol

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

About to go on a little buying spree. I am hoping to get good pre-owned examples of these for 5k; thinking this is a good, versatile start to a collection. Most of these I have wanted for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

If I had to choose one of those three, I'd definitely go for the Longines. Great piece. Second would be the Omega, and third the Rolex.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  16. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Naa the Omega first man !

17. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Would you be looking to keep onto these watches or probably look to sell them latter on? The DateJust(/Air King/Sub) and Speedmaster, along with a (proper) dress watch and possibly a beater-watch, would be watches that someone should keep hold off rather then change (in my opinion).

I prefer the Air King over a DateJust because of the 'cleaner' look, the latter has more demand over the former which leads to the Air King holding its value less. In the 2nd hand market, you can get a better price for the Air King; however, if you will be looking to change the watch latter on, get a DateJust.

18. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I can see myself selling down the road as funds/interest grow, so that is definitely playing a part.

Air King is 34mm correct? DJ is already small enough on my wrist so I don't want to go smaller.

DJ can be put on a leather strap and become a proper dress watch easily. DJ for dressier occasions, Longines for business casual, Speedmaster casual. If I were to add a 'true' dress watch it would probably be a vintage Constellation.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  19. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Speedmaster and Datejust are extremely easy to find used- the Longines, not so much. Anyone have good leads on sites that seem to have a decently consistent Longines inventory? I currently peruse TimeZone/Rolex Forums/WatchUSeek.

20. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Just get the Omega and a proper dress watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.