The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Have you seen the rehaut engraving in person? It's really not as ostentatious as it looks in pictures. By the way, a chapter ring is the very edge of the dial where the minute hashes are, sometimes they are sloped up into the rehaut but most often are flat and part of the dial. The rehaut is the vertical ring that the crystal sits on.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

That's like 34? 35mm - I have tiny wrists, and that is an Italian shirt with huge cuffs I've never bothered to move the buttons on. The cuffs on that are a good 2" too big around on me.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I thought it was the 34 mm, but it actually looks quite large on your wrists. Very nice nonetheless! And great size for you. What size are your wrists if you don't mind me asking?

4. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

bit of a dilemna, i'm 32 and i do not currently own a watch and i will probably not buy a lot in the future. maybe a used topgun single chrono if come across a bit of money. i do like pilot watches for some reason (small wrists?)

i'm liking the look of the iwc mk xv (probably $2.5-3k used) at the moment. however, i came across the timefactors speedbird iii ($550).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm on a moderate salary...timefactors is about 2 days pay for me... iwc about 2 weeks.

thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. apropos

apropos Senior member

OK, rehaut it is. Thanks for that. :)

Yes I have seen it in person. The bigger the watch, the more obvious it is. They are pretty obvious to me on some models, e.g. the new Exp II with a white dial. I agree with you that it is not visible from a distance, but TBH it's the fact that they are there - the fact that someone in the Rolex design/marketing team that thought it was a good idea to put it in - that grates more.

As always, all IMO.

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I hate the ROLEX engravings.

Generally, watch logos are getting bigger on the watch faces and fuglier by the year

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

2 weeks' pay for a watch is nothing. You are obviously on a good wage if you're earning $3k a fortnight, so it's not as if you can't afford it. Especially if you are convinced this will be your only watch for the future, why would you scrimp and get some piece of junk no one has ever heard of?

Put it this way - would you buy you fiance a zirconium ring for $300 or a $3k diamond? (If you said the former you're probably single.)

8. tricky

tricky Senior member

My problem is I bought my wife the expensive rings and earrings....and as a result I have no watch haha.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

As far as I understand (from reading about it - no personal experience), the Speedbirds are supposed to be good value. So if the lower cost is a priority and you're happy with the design, I don't think it's a bad choice. (Though I'm not personally a fan of the black date window, so I'd look for a Speedbird 1 (no date).)

On the other hand, if the Mk XV sings more to you and if the design roots and IWC's part in that history is something that matters to you, I'd say it's worth a ½ month's pay as it's pretty much a perfect watch - but then I'm biased :laugh:

If it interests you, you can check out the history of the 'Mark' military and pilot watches here, here and here.

And since posts are more fun with pics:

[​IMG]

10. dwintersgill01

dwintersgill01 New Member

the speed bird from timefactors is a good choice. no one will notice that it is not an iwc and it is of excellent quality from a seller in york england.

11. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

mine says hi!

[​IMG]

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wouldn't pick this one. I think you're better off with a warmer tone of cognac or honey and an off-white or ecru stitch. Also, definitely no bottle opener buckle if it's not a PAM

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  14. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

The speedbird is great, but the iwc is great-er. It all comes down to how much you want to pay. Personally, if I could afford it, I would get the iwc.

It looking like an iwc is a pretty retarded reason and no, "watch people" will notice.

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

New acquisition last week.

Regards. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.