1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

Big timer alert!! :)

I am considering this:

[​IMG]

2. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

Thanks Kaplan for posting, that strap rocks! I have a Mk XV on its way, and while it comes with the beads of rice bracelet, I have ordered a cordovan strap, in cognac. What colour is the one you posted?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

3. ryoneo

ryoneo Distinguished Member

:laugh:

4. bkusf

bkusf Member

Because nice is subjective.

5. apropos

Looks like #8 on my monitor.

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

Heh! Totally not a Big Timer, but I did get this as part of somewhat of a shopping spree, so the details are pretty much just a blur :embar:

For the Explorer? I know gdl seconded the contrast stitching, but to me this looks like something I'd put on my PAM - especially with that buckle. Now, it may just make a totally awesome pairing, but my initial reaction is to go for something a little less sporty. If you go ahead and do it, I would be very interested to see the result.

Thanks. I don't know the official colour name, but it's a dark brown. I saw some lighter ones at Leffot & Alden (whisky or cognac I guess) and while they looked spectacular on their own, I've found that I don't get a lot of wear out of lighter coloured straps - obviously YMMV. Congrats on your new mk XV and please post pics when you've put it on the shell strap.

That's the burgundy shell, right? This is a pretty basic dark brown...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

7. apropos

Yeah... right. Hehe. :)

You know what - you're right. I will hold back a bit and maybe the next time I have a WIS meetup I will have a look at how a cordo strap will match IRL. I have a Bond ZULU on it's way to me anyway, so I should be held in good stead for now.

Sorry bhall41 for getting the colour wrong. :embar: To make up - here is another NOS. You can still see the specks of black stuff from the packing foam that disintegrated around it over the years.

[​IMG]

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

^ Did you pick that up as well? With Rolex's recent design changes NOS or vintage is definitely the way to go, IMHO.

Here's my old sub; bought new 20½ years ago and worn daily, except for the last couple of years:

[​IMG]

9. apropos

Um, maybe. :embar: It's a good time to snap up the WIS Rolexes now anyway, given their recent 'revamping' of the classic Rolex models. What I'd give for a 1970s Daytona in perfect nick - a 6265 or 6263.

I agree with you 100% re: the new Rolex designs.

Case sizes are getting bigger bigger bigger but lug widths remain the same - with the end result that the watch looks unbalanced, like an augmented woman toppling over on too-high stilettos. Sure in isolation they may look great, but put them next to their predecessors and the difference is obvious - good example of this is the new vs. old Explorer I.

And don't even get me started on the engraved ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the chapter rings - for which the kindest thing that can be said is:

[​IMG]

It's sad that they've moved from making tool watches to making watches for tools. All IMO of course.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

I saw a Tiffany & Co Sea Dweller at a shop the other day - how rare are those?

11. apropos

Uncommon but not rare, especially stateside. There are Cartier co-branded Rolexes as well.

12. impolyt_one

I kind of figured that much considering the names - but fuck, they have a lot of nice watches here and they want more for them than I want to pay for a car. Those black bezel/white face Daytonas are the same price as a used Porsche here.

13. impolyt_one

wrist shot

[​IMG]

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Sweet MUT. What size is that one?

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Distinguished Member

where are you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.