The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

Go for a tan or honey coloured ostrich strap, it will look great and will only look better with time. Another option is a grained leather, e.g. buffalo or even pebblegrain calf.

Another nice alternative if you're in a more iconoclastic mood is grey. I've seen matte grey croc (I know, I know, CITES...) get combined very well with silverface watches.

Does Indian customs really open packages to check?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

3. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Talk to Luk-cha. He will sort you out. Here's his leather goods blog.

http://portlandstreet.tumblr.com/

4. Zaza

Zaza Senior member

[​IMG]

My daily wearer, Rolex DeepSea Sea Dweller, on a military Nato strap and Thomas Pink shirt

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

surely there's more than one JLC retailer in all of India? If not, you could arrange to have the band switched when you go overseas on a trip and then wear it when you come back.

I had some cheap calfskin band on my watch and while it was intended to be temporary and it cost that much, it was ugly as hell and I should've not even spent the $20 or whatever it cost. I just replaced it last week with some real crocodile and it's so satisfying, and while it's some third party French brand and doesn't have the little JLC stamp on the buckle, I'm happy with it, cost me about $200.

Perhaps toadskin would pass customs regulations - toadskins are only worth about $1-2 in the finished hide, which is obviously quite a bit less than what it costs to acquire a nice crocodile hide.... and you know what? I kinda like toadskin bands on dress watches, they're kinda elegant in colors like grey or sage.

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Thanks for your comments. Will check them out.

I don't expect Indian customs to open anything but assume that whoever ships croc internationally will mention it quite clearly on the package to avoid hassle at his end. Its also not about the duty but if it turns out import of banned material carries other penal action, I am screwed. Who wants to take on the bureaucracy over a strap.

Some time, when shah toosh was banned, high society parties were raided and the shawls were seized from the ladies and summons and warrants issued.

OTOH, zegna sells croc shoes, all Swiss watches come with croc straps and LV will take orders for croc stuff.

They must have got an exemption or something like that.

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I have tried ABP straps and find them quite good if pricey. I can easily order through them ibut for the cites issue. Wonder if lizard is covered under cites

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Some are. I would be more concerned about the poor durability (IME) of lizard. Gets old-looking quickly if scales get lifted off.

9. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

WANT!

10. Renton

Renton Senior member

It took a while, but I got a response from Dirk and I think this idea is a little out of my price range.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ouch, that is definitely rough. Understandable, but rough. Hopefully this inspires him to add this model to his collection :)

12. Singular

Singular Senior member

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

NOS early 1990s Explorer I

[​IMG]

Not sure I like the Jubilee bracelet; would much prefer the Oyster bracelet but TBH I find it difficult to stomach getting that at Rolex AD prices given IMO it's a technically/tactile-y inferior bracelet when compared to, say, the Speedmaster's bracelet.

Any (non-NATO) ideas for a strap replacement?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did you not get the OEM buckle when you purchased your watch? You can put it on the new strap. If you didn't and want one, you can purchase a buckle separately

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This seems pretty reasonable to me for a completely new watch model for which he would make a series of 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.