• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior varsity

Reaction score

x2
It's going keep me sane while I save up for a Reverso Grande Date...
097f8f13.jpg

does the SD have anti-glare on both sides?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Rolex doesn't put AR coating on their crystal. I think it doesn't glare as much due to the thickness of the crystal and smaller diameter that cuts into the glare on the SD.

Sams0n1

Reaction score
Quote:
I think Rolex doesn't put AR coating on their crystal. I think it doesn't glare as much due to the thickness of the crystal and smaller diameter that cuts into the glare on the SD.

Correct--I believe that Rolex's crystal on the Sea Dweller is ~3mm.

Compare the glare of the Rolex with this Bremont Supermarine, which has some crazy 9 AR coats:

junior varsity

Reaction score

Quote:

Correct--I believe that Rolex's crystal on the Sea Dweller is ~3mm.

Compare the glare of the Rolex with this Bremont Supermarine, which has some crazy 9 AR coats:

the bremont looks like a sick deal at $5150...
better value than the submariner

Sams0n1

Reaction score
Quote:
the bremont looks like a sick deal at $5150...
better value than the submariner

From Toppers its actually ~$4300, which does make it a good deal. The accoutrements of the Bremont are out of this world--the case, design, finishing, etc. The only thing really holding it back is the fact that it uses a modified ETA movement (I am not sure just how modified it is), whereas at this price point one starts to hope for in-house movements. Compare this to the Seiko Marinemaster 300m, for example, which clocks in at about $2400 or so:

The MM 300 is fully in house, and has wonderful finishing and design elements. It is often compared to the Submariner, and many comparative reviews even give it the edge [Ref: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/c...001-marinemaster-vs-rolex-16610lv-296162.html].

Currently I am in between a MM 300 and a Bremont perhaps. Although I adore the Bremont styling, and really think it is the most aesthetically pleasing dive watch to my eye, I may have to hold off on the purchase for now.

junior varsity

Reaction score

Quote:

From Toppers its actually ~$4300, which does make it a good deal. The accoutrements of the Bremont are out of this world--the case, design, finishing, etc. The only thing really holding it back is the fact that it uses a modified ETA movement (I am not sure just how modified it is), whereas at this price point one starts to hope for in-house movements. Compare this to the Seiko Marinemaster 300m, for example, which clocks in at about $2400 or so:

The MM 300 is fully in house, and has wonderful finishing and design elements. It is often compared to the Submariner, and many comparative reviews even give it the edge [Ref: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/comparative-review-seiko-sbdx001-marinemaster-vs-rolex-16610lv-296162.html].

Currently I am in between a MM 300 and a Bremont perhaps. Although I adore the Bremont styling, and really think it is the most aesthetically pleasing dive watch to my eye, I may have to hold off on the purchase for now.

i dont think i'd mind non-in-house...
if you look at it... the IWC portuguese chrono is not in house but its more accurate than the portuguese auto which has the IWC in house movement lol...
ETA work horse units are legit, just people want that much exclusivity.
i dont think even ferraris use all ferrari made parts... the new double clutch trans is outsourced

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Bremont ALT-1C but with the charcoal grey dial.

Last edited:

MLIW

Reaction score
Today Wearing:

Tressa - 25 Jewel Automatic - a charity shop purchase for a few bob.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ALT-1C is pretty unbelievable. I love the designs of the Bremonts, but I just struggle to accept the movements in them. I think that they have some of the most beautiful watches around [in their range], but I guess I have come to expect more mechanically speaking. At this price you can almost get the new PO with the 8500 movement...

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of Swiss watches. I'm wearing the Baume & Mercier chrono today.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ALT-1C is pretty unbelievable. I love the designs of the Bremonts, but I just struggle to accept the movements in them. I think that they have some of the most beautiful watches around [in their range], but I guess I have come to expect more mechanically speaking. At this price you can almost get the new PO with the 8500 movement...

I'm hesitant because I don't know much about the brand but from the small amount of research I've done, they've received great reviews. I just can't decide if I want the Bremont or a used Rolex Explorer 1. I already have 2 vintage Omegas or I would choose an Acqua Terra Mid-Size but having a difficult time find one with the blue dial. Too many choices.

Anyone have any thoughts on Bell & Ross?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads