The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venessian

venessian Senior member

I agree. I love that they still keep things small, truly hand-made (no CNC, etc.), super high-quality, beautifully designed, etc. They are indeed a family business, but it looks to me that Dirk Dornbluth is still pretty young; they do have assistants; and if DD's son or daughter don't take over the business I assume some life-long employee will continue the brand, like Jorg Schauer has with Stowa. This interview was done just this past March, and DD's answer indicates a stable future:
    I think it is absolutely great that in 1999 Dirk D presented his father Dieter with a watch for his 60th birthday...the first in-house Dornbluth movement, which the father had designed (but never built) 40 years before! Such a cool story. Newcomer, If you haven't read it yet, this is also a very nice piece on Dornbluth, longer and with many good photos of the workshop.
    Obviously the best way would be direct from Dornbluth, but that takes more time as they are made to order. Otherwise the non-Germany ADs are listed here. The ADs, however, don't have large quantities as Dornbluth only produce 120 watches per year. Prices range from ~ $4,000 to ~$8,000, more for custom of course. easy_golfing, that 09 Jasmin you linked is the only women's watch Dornbluth produce, to date. 34.5mm.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yeah, I read that article a while back--that is really what got me started on the Dornblueth! I still worry that they may start mass producing though, it is a temptation that even the best of us would struggle to resist. I really think I will stick with Dornblueth now. My heart has always said Dornblueth, despite the fact that it might make a bit more sense to go for JLC, IWC, or some of the better known brands.

3. venessian

venessian Senior member

Same here! Why do you think they would start mass-producing? That would require a huge investment by some major group, and I don't get the feeling Dornbluth wants to head that way. I think they are happy being part of this new generation of small, semi-custom, hand-made German makers. I mean, since they started in 1999 they have only made +/- 1600 watches in those 13 years. How many do IWC, etc. produce in 1 month? I just don't see Dornbluth in the mass market. Also, their line is very tightly defined, as are Hentschel, Schauer, Nomos, etc. I don't know if there is enough range to goi big (although I suppose Nomos produce far more watches than Dornbluth). If your heart has always said Dornbluth I think you have your answer. I too would love a Dornbluth over just about any other watch. I love the Center Second, but I agree with some that it might be a bit stark on the face. I'm not real keen on small sub-seconds, although I am intrigued by the 99.3, but it's $$. I can certainly understand why that fellow wanted to commission a Center Second + power reserve + pointer date. The power reserve feature is really nice on a manual-wind. But I bet that fellow's watch will top $10K since it is custom. On the other hand, the Lang & Heyne 'Markgraf Heinrich' that was posted as a comparison on the Dornbluth forum, which has the same complications and apparently the same base Unitas movement (although the LH is even more elaborated than the DS) and is a beautiful design (but I actually prefer the DS) sells for ~$75K! :eek: [​IMG]
    I wonder what a Center Second with only power reserve would cost.... [​IMG] Damn, I'm fixated on these watches! :)

4. guest

guest Senior member

sold! :slayer:

that's not a recent model though is it?

5. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

No, it's from of the early 2000's generation (with 2892 movement).

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yeah, the 99.3 is quite something, but that is getting way out of my price range. The 99.2 I guess seems to be the best option. Although having a date is nice, that is always something I can tell from a quick glance at my cell phone. A power reserve on a manual wind is just too functional to pass up. It certainly does seem that our tastes are fairly similar though. And that L&H watch is beautiful, those movement are absolutely stunning!

In regards to DS expanding, I am not really worried about anything happening anytime soon--but I guess I have seen so many brands expand lately, that I would hate to see another family-run brand go public. But yes, from that article you linked it does seem that they are much more concerned with making superlative watches than they are with growing their business.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

7. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

that looks already ridiculously nice
    the more recent one looks even better than that i think..

8. guest

guest Senior member

is that the one with only a 12 numeral at the top? if so i like the old one better but haven't seen the white version of that one.

9. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Beautiful IWC...I have a vintage 1959 Omega with a white dial that's very similar...where can I find a good quality strap similar to this one? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

11. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I love that GP Akeem. I'm hunting for a 49460 ivory dial.

12. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

[​IMG]

Holiday snap - 14060M on NATO

13. Renton

Renton Senior member

:worship2: I've got to email Dornbluth and see what a watch like this would cost.

14. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

^That and the stowa marine original look so similar

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The Dornbluths are awesome, I'd love to own one. Unfortunately watchbuys closed off their site so that it can only be accessed in N. America so I can't see what they have. Anyone care to do a screengrab or something for me? Particularly the 99.1 in rose gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.