• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, at least I didn't guess British Petroleum. :satisfied:

obamaIcwutudidthar.jpg

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watches only started getting big in the last decade or so, and we're already seeing the trend moving back towards moderately sized watches.

I think the precursors to the trend towards larger timepieces started earlier than the last 10 years. Patek introduced the 43mm Nautilus in 1974(?), and the original Gerald Genta AP Royal Oak was first produced in 1970, with the Royal Oak Jumbo appearing in 1977(?). The first appearance of the Royal Oak Offshore was at Basel in, I want to say, 1993(?). Also, and this is clearly a unique watch with a specific purpose, but the first IWC Big Pilot (52 TSC) appeared in 1940 and was 55mm (although the line of Pilot's watches that were introduced later were more reasonably sized). I'm not sure how big the original Portuguese was, but the first iteration came in 1993 as well.

While horological history is littered with larger watches, I do agree that the vast proliferation of the gargantuan case only came recently. The largest automatic movement, IWC's Calibre 5000, was first introduced in 2000, which, incidentally, coincided with the Richemont takeover. The larger watches have their place, but I certainly agree that a manufacturer's overall collection should strike a size balance. It would be a shame if Patek, for example, decided to increase their watch size across the board.

Just to qualify this, I'm not necessarily a massive watch nut. While I do own some larger pieces, I don't buy based on trends, but rather what appeals to me irrespective of what's popular. My shirt cuffs always cover my watches.

To get back to the p0rn, here are some pics from current or past timepieces from my collection:

Nice.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This side-by-side shot gives a truer picture of the size differential, which, as can be seen, is not great:

IMG_4084.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya know, never really liked the look of APs, but my goodness, on the wrist that is one lovely looking watch. Much more elegant than I envisioned it being.

bhall41

Reaction score
Grand Seiko today:

style_man

Reaction score
Awesome Seiko. I've been meaning to add a GS to my collection for some time now.

MLIW

Reaction score

These are my latest finds for restoration:

Ellis Exeter - 1869
Limit
Ingersoll
Unmarked with Grossman Movement
Unmarked - believe to be Swiss ladies

Its going to be fun!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This side-by-side shot gives a truer picture of the size differential, which, as can be seen, is not great:

IMG_4084.jpg

Sigh... It is obvious there is a size difference that is large enough to cause the new version to be unwearable by most people. As well, I have had both watches on (and I used to own a FF 40mm), and its not just that the head has gotten larger, but as well the bracelet is slightly wider as well, adding to the heft / size.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sigh... It is obvious there is a size difference that is large enough to cause the new version to be unwearable by most people. As well, I have had both watches on (and I used to own a FF 40mm), and its not just that the head has gotten larger, but as well the bracelet is slightly wider as well, adding to the heft / size.

Sigh, sigh -- I was just demonstrating that the original post with separate pics made the differences appear greater than they are. Of course the bracelet's bigger - why wouldn't it be?

"...unwearable by most..." is probably not the case, but it is a larger watch and, as stated ad nauseum here, some like 'em big and some do not. :bored:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've seen the light -- a recent addtion!

IMG_4169.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads