1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

JuniorVaristy,

I am not a fan of the big watch trend. Unless you have large wrists, watches in the range of 35 mm to 42 mm are perfect for most guys. In fact, 42mm watches usually only work IMO where the dial is black or the bezel is thick (e.g. a diver's watch).

IMO your Cartier looks a little too large for your wrist, looking at the length of the lugs, and especially as the dial is white. The photo also gives the impression that your watch is squeezing your wrist: is the band tight?

Your Milgauss on the other hand looks great.

Re women wearing large (man size) watches, well that's just fashion. Doesn't have anything to do with style for grown up men. :nodding:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

2. style_man

style_man Well-Known Member

your height has nothing at all to do with how big of a watch you can wear. your wrist circumference does. A short man can have a very girthy wrist, and a tall man can have a very thin wrist.

3. junior varsity

junior varsity Distinguished Member

as i said, i am not a big guy, i am very slim and quite fit (8% bodyfat @ 150lbs/5'7)... so if you say that my 40mm rolex looks great on me, then the same 40mm rolex on someone who's a male, average build, 6'1, and 180-200lbs and up would looks ridiculously small (it is only reasonable to observe the law of proportions, yeah?)
    i am starting to think my planet ocean 42mm is getting too small, yes even on my small ass wrist :nodding:

on the topic of women wearing larger man sized watches - if you were out on a date, there is no way that you can wear a 34mm and your date is sporting a 43mm... obviously you perceive that its fashion/trendy ... but if it began to be trendy back when pussy galore from goldfinger was hot, then can you really call it fashion? fashion = temporary, while style = long term. if the "trend" spanned several decades... then its style. :teach:

by the way - this is a 36mm datejust on a GIRL... and it looks small... 34mm on a grown MAN..... :uhoh:
    [​IMG]

4. junior varsity

obviously... but i stated my weight and bodyfat %... so if i'm 5'7, 150lbs and low body fat that means my body parts should contain less mass... because muscle is more compact than fat
    and women obviously have SMALLER wrists than men.. especially those thin women i have posted... victoria beckham is literally anorexic, and jen aniston is very very thin
    there is no way for those women to have grithy wrists...

5. style_man

how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

6. junior varsity

im not going to comment anything... i've made my point... but you got seriously thin wrists...
    i think victoria beckham has the same sized wrists as you... :nest: because look how small a 36mm rolex looks on caroline wozniacki's wrist and how big a 36mm heuer looks on yours... :uhoh:
    i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
    [​IMG]

7. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

I have 6.5" wrist and similarly struggle with anything much beyond 40 mm. In fact I recently flipped a 39 mm watch because it had a white dial and thin bezel and wore too large.

Nice collection of watches BTW!

8. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

Your PO definately does not look too small on you. Moreover, I doubt whether you could successfully pull off the larger version PO, as your wrist is not particuarly thick. The fact that plenty of guys wear oversized watches does not prevent them looking like clowns when doing so.

9. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

God damn this is sexy. This Panerai/Rolex business has to end.

The Vacheron is teh sex, but for the money, I'd go JLC Ultra Thin and then snag something else on the side.

10. style_man

long live moderately sized watches! cheers.

11. junior varsity

you could get the ulysse nardin + something else on the side too for the price of the vacheron :nodding:

i tried on the 45mm earlier this year... didnt look huge at all, even on my thin wrist :lookaround: but cant justify paying extra for the 45mm...
    the 'old' 42mm was technically the deal of the century

12. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

:cheers:

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

I'm taller than you, a little lighter - watches on my wrist look about the same as they do on your wrist. The Milgauss I have tried before, and it fits like that on my wrist (actually, I think all Rolexes beyond the DSSD alright on my wrists) - but I think all of your watches look too big. Lug to lug they're pretty much covering an entire side of your arm. The 42mm Omega is definitely too big. That Ulysse Nardin at 42mm will look like a friggin wall clock on you.

14. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

LOL at the small man trying to convince himself his big watches look fine on him and using girls to back his case up.

Victoria Beckham has (had) breast implants. Jen Aniston is probably rocking a lacy number from Agent Provocateur underneath all that. Just because they can and do so doesn't mean it'll look great on you, or that you should even try for that matter.

If you are sailing into this (as you appear to) with the mindset that BIG = MANLY then at 5' 7" & 150lbs you are SOL my friend. A watch is the least of your problems.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

15. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.