1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yup, easy pass.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I would love to know what they want for a nautilus, as they want 9000£+ for a miligauss, which retails in the 4-4,5k£ range for a normal one.

3. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

I really never liked those watches, same for hublot and all other big watches in same style.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nautilus aren't really that big of a case, they're 40mm? The Santos you wanted are a lot bigger than those PP.

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

:slayer: love the first and last one.

+1

6. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Maybe, but I dont like the shape.

7. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

If you want any watch coated in PVD/DLC, you're much better off buying a grey market or used watch and paying to have it coated by a third party...there are a couple of 'boutique' DLC watch re-sellers (Bamford is one) and they are horribly marked up.

Love those Lange pics...and I clicked my way onto the European-model Memovox Deep Sea, damn good looking, I need to start saving $10.5k:

[​IMG]

8. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

This is exactly the kind of thing my aunt would do, and she did.

9. Jpvfx

Jpvfx Well-Known Member

Speaking of Pvd/DLC ......3,6,9,12
    [​IMG]

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ wow! nice... :drool:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. sduffman

sduffman New Member

Some nice stuff in this thread. I need to do a collection shot

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The AP is 39mm and the Pateks are 40-40,8mm, so they are actually small by modern standards, Hublot are 45mm and up, from what I remember.

The Patek designs are really a like it or not kind of thing, you have to like square watches, to like them, personally I love them.

I have never been a fan of AP's, I would rather have a Vacheron Constantin Overseas instead. It has the same movement and is better look, but for some reason I like the black AP.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  14. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

15. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

partagas- it's a great watch and you see very few of them around.
    btw those bamfords are horrible, the whole store is horrible, just tacky playthings for bored hedge fund managers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  16. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I prefer the polaris to the deep sea
    [​IMG]

17. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

re: our discussion on baume mercier & other chronographs yesterday, this new Watch Snob article is both timely and relevant.

He reaches the same conclusion as we did, though surprisingly didn't mention Longines (which I think is a great value)

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ha, yeah, I saw that article yesterday and chuckled about how his decision essentially mirrored what we came up with. I wish that the Watch Snob was a little "kinder" on brands other than PP, AP, ALS, VC, etc. I feel like most people slightly interested in watches get their information from sites like AskMen, and they are really doing a disservice to many readers by being so tongue in cheek.

For example, I wish that he would mention something like a Longines. At least Zenith got the nod. I also wish he would stop bringing up my JLC Master Control as a great watch for people entering the realm of higher-end watches. I would like for my watch to remain hidden from the masses.

With that said, I do enjoy reading the Snob on occasion. If only for the contradictions and lulz.

19. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He IS speaking the truth regarding your JLC MC, but inevitably your average reader is going to settle on mainstream luxury brands (rolex, omega, cartier, breitling) regardless of what anyone says.

And remember he has to live up to the name "snob" re: AP PP ALS etc

Last edited: May 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.