1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

DANGIT I AM REALLY TORN OVER THIS--ITS LIKE HAVING TO CHOOSE BETWEEN CHILDREN [​IMG]

but im thinking black dial. thoughts?

also got my dark brown suede strap from hodinkee. when the springbar tool arrives ill snap some shots!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I prefer the white. But the black panoreserve > black PML. White PML > black panoreserve.

For me, it goes white PML > black panorserve > white panoreserve > black PML.

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

the panoreserve have the double swan neck too. :D

To me, nothing screams German like the 3/4 plate movement.

I thought about buying the PanoReserve when it hits the store.. But I've been saving up for a Lange 1 for so long. I'm really close on pulling the trigger. I'll probably break my GO cherry with the white gold Senator Chronometer. (you can sense my three-quarter plate love) The perfect L1 for me would be the 101.027x, the white dial with blue hands. Sadly, I haven't seen one for sale in almost 2 years now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

5. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Nice Cylon!! Now let's see a wrist shot.

Is that a 146?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

update on my post #11534... the Omega Seamaster Chronometer has a 21 jewel ETA 2892.A2 movement. I could really use some feedback on this fellas, so any help or info would be appreciated. :)

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I mean unless you are getting that watch for $500 or something. I would pass, I'm not too crazy about that Omega. I wouldn't buy it just for the sake of having another watch.

Are you looking for a white dial beater or something?

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I'm gonna agree w WarrenG with this one. What's the asking price so we know what kind of alternatives to present? [​IMG]

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

well yeah... it would serve as just that and from research I've done on TZ, WUS and eBay everything I've seen similarly is at least 50% more expensive (like $1,200-$1,500) and not in any condition I would even consider. I'm on my way to grad school and don't have anything like this as a durable beater that I could wear worry-free. I haven't been collecting very long and am not yet ready to pop on a JLC or GO or something in that range. My current pieces are vintage GP, Cartier, a few Hamiltons and a couple other oddballs I inherited from my grandfather so I was considering it. I know it's personal preference, but it fits well, looks nice on my wrist and overall I do like it. Just wanted some feedback... no worries... thanks Warren.

edit: to Cylon... $900 even.

also, I've been looking unsuccessfully for something to fill this gap for quite a while and will not have any time to do so in the coming year... seriously. So it seemed like a good mid-range, alternative.

10. oisin

oisin Senior member

those GO pictures were :worship:

I'm partial to the white faces for all of them (actually I prefer the black face on the senator observer), though I agree that the Panoreserve is sharp in black as well--the blue pop in the Moonphase is just really nice as opposed to the stark black on white on the panomaticlunar, IMO. It's tough--I love a moonphase (there's a certain romance to it) but the swooping lines of that the power meter brings to the panoreserve face are impressive. A bit cold perhaps, but very pleasing in a more minimalist sort of way. Actually I'm coming around on the black panoreserve--the texture of the dials makes it a bit less stark and gives it some depth, and I kind of like the stealth monochrome look of it all with the mostly black hands on black dial.

Get a Panoreserve then a Lange 1 moonphase? :p (I like the moonphase on the lange 1).

Educate me--what does 3/4 plate mean? Google wasn't much of a help. I'm guessing it has to do with the casebacks where I see 3/4 of the watch covered by a plate and 1/4 exposed, but I don't really know what that means.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That is exactly what it means. From what I have learned, the 3/4 plate is the traditional 'Glashutte' plate design. Purportedly it was designed by Lange back in the good old days, but of course people fight over who came up with it. Supposedly it makes the movement sturdier, and lends itself less to soiling, but I think it is kept more for the sake of tradition, and to distinguish the Glashutte tradition from its Swiss brethren.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

well god damn. this is the way to go

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3/4 plate

[​IMG]

not a 3/4 plate

[​IMG]

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

1016 :satisfied:

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

just checking in. lots of great watches the past few pages guys. i almost cried when i read the below post.

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Trying to decipher the smiley :)

Satisfied?

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ Yup. The best Explorer, IMO. The painted face is great.

[​IMG]

Not my pic, just quickly googled

Are these hard/expensive to come by in a good condition?

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

19. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

probably the best overview i found:

http://www.watchprojects.com/reviews/a-list-of-xxi-flieger-chronographs/

20. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Good link thanks. There was also one awhile back posted by Foo that explained quite a bit. I didn't think of these as Fliegers, more likely a brand of military inspired watches not necessarily pilots. It's clear to me now there isn't much of a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.