1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayborne

mayborne Well-Known Member

http://www.paneraisource.com/models/historic.html

thanks much appreciated!

i looked at the lineup and i liked the very first 1 PAM000 a luminor with thr OP logo. also PAM176, which is a luminor in titanium. and i see my buddy had a historic as well, PAM233.

2. rikod

rikod Senior member

good old 2003 Pam 111 w cognac strap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been using this Tudor a lot lately

[​IMG]

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

this was for sale on TimeZone recently as I posted a pic of it... this is the only link I had... not sure if still available but worth checking out. Good Luck!

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6049545&rid=0

4. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

thanks Kid . . . . i have gotta try.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

The Historic line has grown since I bought my 177 a few years ago. Back then it only consisted of Base (just hours and minutes) Luminors and Radiomirs and Luminor Marinas + Radiomir Black Seals (hours, minutes and small seconds @ 9). Not being a great fan of complications like GMT and power reserves on Panerais, those are still the models I'd suggest looking at.

The PAM0 you mention is actually one of the nicest models they make, IMHO. I especially feel the solid case back better suits this kind of watch. My reason for going with a Ti Marina instead, was that IRL the polished steel cases are just too blingy for me with their big, mirrorlike surfaces reflecting everything. But I guess they get more subdued with some wear. And I wanted to be able to tell if the watch was still ticking with a glance, so I needed the seconds sub dial.

Also note the painted dial on the PAM0 is a good deal sportier than the sandwich dials IRL. Not necessarily better (I like both) but different enough that it would be good to see both in person.

Good luck!

6. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

lovely dial. moo's vintage watch also really beautiful.

7. mayborne

mayborne Well-Known Member

much thanks kaplan! that was very informative!

i guess i do share your liking for the titanium models. very nice look on panerais.

the radiomir case was actually the 1st that caught my eye but the luminor has definitely gron on me.

my only other nice watch atm is a railmaster 39mm so i got pretty used to no second hand or subdial.

if i do get the pam000 i can always have it brushed i guess with my watch guy.

yes for some reason the pam000 looked sportier to me but i couldn't tell y. a tiny logo on the dial didn't make much sense for the different look..

thanks again!

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

You're welcome :)

If you like the Radiomir case and titanium, there's a nice 42mm one here. While I like the idea of a reduced Radiomir case (opposed to the reduced Luminor case which I don't like), I feel the shinier steel suits the Radiomir better than titanium, as well as the simpler dial of a base model; so for a Radiomir I'd look at the PAM210 first.

Keep in mind that this is just one guys opinion. In the end the best advice is probably to look at a lot of stuff and make a note of what speaks to you the most.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree - Radiomir case and titanium are not a good match IMO. I disagree on seconds subdial though - I think with or without look good and consistent with historic heritage.

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

The 000/111/112 are almost boring...I like the 312 and wear it more. I find the date essential in a watch and the movement of the second hand seems reassuring.

Regards.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Blasphemy !

yikes, auto and date on a PAM :hide:

12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

+1

Stainless 210 rocks.

Just need some of those gold hands...

13. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor

Love the Dirk!

Found the most interesting AP in Singapore. 372 and Friend...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, I like both Luminors and Radiomirs with and without the seconds subdial. But if you wanted to cover both dial and case designs with just two watches, I'd prefer the Luminor with the seconds (they somehow balance out the large crown guard IMO).

Which would then leave the Base design for the Radiomir. Convoluted, I know, but that's the reasoning for my slight preference :embar:

And plz, no date on PAMs :D

Btw, Gaz: I like the strap that comes with the 372.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

16. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

same here.. for some reason right now, I prefer the luminor.

[​IMG]

17. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor

Yes, this is the first time I have kept the OEM strap on for a new Panerai. Actually, the Panerai executive responsible for the 372 told me that they went the extra mile on the strap to ensure that die hard 'Ristis didn't switch the OEM strap. I think they did a great job! Its really tough but I've been softening it with a nightly massage of Saphir leather cream.

18. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i like. :)

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

My one quartz watch. I've never been interested in owning a Datejust, but I always liked the case and bracelet of their Oyster Quartz Datejust, so a few years ago I pulled the trigger on one. I'm generally don't have much interest in quartz watches, but it is nice to have a watch that I can throw on at a moment's notice without having to set the time (I'm not a fan of watch winders). Its also more antimagnetic than a Milgauss, and was the first SS Rolex to be offered with a synthetic saphire crystal and solid ss link bracelet. Its hard to believe, but at at one point its MSRP on the SS Oysterquartz was higher than that of a SS a manual wind Daytona. Now a manual wind SS Daytona (without a PN/Exotic Dial) sells on average for at least 10 times that of an OQ...the revival of interest in mechanical watches in the late 80s early 90s changed everything.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.