• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NonServiam
There's nothing quite like vintage gold ...
Klokkebilder606.jpg
Klokkebilder609.jpg
Klokkebilder613.jpg
Klokkebilder615.jpg

So complete newbie question: Is it okay to put a leather strap on a diving watch?

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
So complete newbie question: Is it okay to put a leather strap on a diving watch?

what do you think?

you answered your own question with that example.

so long as you dont plan on actually diving with the leather strap youre fine.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by alexanduh
what do you think?

Not quite true -several strap makers have a leather diving strap.

Vidal_Balloon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
what do you think?

It isn't actually a divers watch- that's an old GMT- a pilots watch.
I think in this case it just gets away with the leather strap but not too many rolexes do!

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm going diving I would not wear a $5000+ watch.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vidal_Balloon
It isn't actually a divers watch- that's an old GMT- a pilots watch.
I think in this case it just gets away with the leather strap but not too many rolexes do!

Again, pardon my ignorance in the subject -- what would a pilot need a rotating bevel for?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, pardon my ignorance in the subject -- what would a pilot need a rotating bevel for?

There is a third hand which revolves on a 24 hour basis which tells the time against a second time zone while the normal hands keep home time (or vice versa) the second time zone can vary from country to country hence the need for rotation.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
There is a third hand which revolves on a 24 hour basis which tells the time against a second time zone while the normal hands keep home time (or vice versa) the second time zone can vary from country to country hence the need for rotation.

Oh, very cool! Thanks!

NonServiam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Also:
teacha.gif
On Rolex GMT-Master IIs (both modern and vintage), the 24 hour hand is independent from the hour hand, so that you can track 3 timezones at once. 1st: the hour hand. 2nd: the 24hour hand against the dial. 3rd: the 24 hour hand against the bezel. On this vintage GMT-Master (note, no II), the 24 hour hand is not independent from the hour hand. So it really only tracks day/night. But with the rotating bezel, you can keep track of the second timezone.

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
Which brand is this? Looks very nice, a possible candidate for as a poor man´s Tourbillon.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CityConnection
what is this?
Yeah well.... It's not really anything. It's a tourbillon allright. But not any brand. It's an OEM product bought directly from the factory. That's why there are are no markings anywhere. It's an inhouse chinese movement though. But it would diffidently qualify as a poor mans tourbillon
smile.gif
You can see the movement here:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads